Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 729
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:35:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Okay, really piss-poor claims to fame here, please.

Started by Deadman97, November 02, 2004, 09:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadman97

Nothing impressive, I want 'em lame and I want 'em obscure.

For instance? I have a signed, black and white 8x10 of Pat Roach (aka Bomber from Auf Weidersein Pet) which I got when I met him at my local leisure centre, fuck knows how long ago.

Come on, you can do worse than that.

DonkeyRhubarb

I have a signed photograph of Bill Waddington aka 'Percy Sugden' from Coronation Street years ago, it takes pride of place on my mantlepiece.

imitationleather

You need to look up what a 'claim to fame' is in the dictionary. Not that it'll be there.

Beagle 2

My mate works at a learn direct call centre and phoned up tonight to proudly tell us he'd just been speaking to Paul Scholes's cousin.

I once walked past Katy Hills in York.

vladyeti

I was on Kilroy once.  I was too scared to say anything, although he sat next to me at one point, and interviewed the person sitting next to me.

He came across as quite a sound bloke at the time.  Now he comes across as a power-mad, egotistical twat.

Deadman97

... I also stood behind Frank Skinner once in Tower Records.

Doctor Stamen

I once saw that woman off the BBC daytime drama, Doctors, running for a taxi.  Also saw Ian MacCaskill pissed out of his mind in Leeds train station, talking to random strangers.

Des Nilsen

Gah, mine will be crap, but...

On a day trip to London and the Palace of Westminster I sat in the same room as Patricia Hewitt MP, Keith Vaz MP and had a drunken 'chat' with, I think, the junior Labour party head-man-or-something.
It was a bit 'Alan Partridge-y' really. I just appeared munching cheezy things at his shoulder and told him with my mouth full that I wasn't registered to vote. He isn't famous, but he might be important one day. Who knows.

Even better than that lot, I saw Andrew Marr in the lobby between the House of Lords and the Commons, he was with his cameraman, packing up after a report had been filmed, and as he passed he briefly looked me in the eye.
Oh, and I've seen Diane Abbott in person. She seems quite petite, despite her pleasant chubbyness. She was wearing a purple body-stocking thingy.

So, no 'Celebs', but these will have to do. I've told the story before of how I happened to be off sick from school once when Jeremy Beadle was in doing a talk or somesuch thing.

I have no memorabilia to corroborate anything.

-

Gazeuse

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "Deadman97"Nothing impressive, I want 'em lame and I want 'em obscure.

For instance? I have a signed, black and white 8x10 of Pat Roach (aka Bomber from Auf Weidersein Pet) which I got when I met him at my local leisure centre, fuck knows how long ago.

Come on, you can do worse than that.

My aunt once lived next door to Pat Roach.  Actually, that's more impressive than your Pat Roach anecdote.

And I was once trapped in a lift with a woman who played a cleaner in "Crossroads".

sproggy

I'm the guy who rang up Saturday Superstore to say 'Matt Bianco' were a "bunch of wankers"  The Irony being, I actually liked them at the time.

Deadman97

Quote from: "sproglette"I'm the guy who rang up Saturday Superstore to say 'Matt Bianco' were a "bunch of wankers"  The Irony being, I actually liked them at the time.

You need a thread of your own. "Fucking legends post here", or something like it. Congrats.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "sproglette"I'm the guy who rang up Saturday Superstore to say 'Matt Bianco' were a "bunch of wankers"  The Irony being, I actually liked them at the time.

That's actually a rather impressive claim to fame.

If it's true.

Jaffa The Cake

Norman Lovett spat ice cubes at me because I told him his pingu impersonation was shit.

weekender

I'm the guy who rang up Saturday Superstore to say 'Matt Bianco' were a "bunch of wankers" The Irony being, I actually liked them at the time.

It's the bloody internet, don't believe everything you read.

Timmay

I chatted with Kate Lawler outside a pub in Ayia Napa last year.

I was on Casualty a few years back, right after the opening credits. Either Fall Out (Episode 20) or Full On (Episode 21) of Series 14. I never remember which one though.

I met Bob Geldof and Paula Yates in Rhodes (Greece) way back when she was alive.

VegaLA

Mary Tamm, around 1993 during her stint on Brookside, at Victoria station. Alas she dissed me but I was slobbering over her.

Jaffa The Cake

Quote from: "Timmay"I met...Paula Yates...back when she was alive.
Not her finest hour in my opinion.

sproggy

Quote from: "weekender"It's the bloody internet, don't believe everything you read.

I knew that would flush you out of your little hidey hole.

I've also served Windsor Davies with a bacon butty and cup of frothy coffee, and I've also groomed Prince Charles polo ponies.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I am distantly related to both Patsy 'Bless this House/some Carry On films' Rowlands and the bloke who played Arthur Fowler in EastEnders.

Deadman97

Quote from: "sproglette"
Quote from: "weekender"It's the bloody internet, don't believe everything you read.

I knew that would flush you out of your little hidey hole.

I've also served Windsor Davies with a bacon butty and cup of frothy coffee, and I've also groomed Prince Charles polo ponies.

Go on sproglette, I fucking love Windsor Davies.

DonkeyRhubarb

I also, once attended the UK premier of Arnies' 'Kindergarten Cop', Gareth 'GazTop' Jones was there.

Suttonpubcrawl

I've met the least significant of the sisters in the 1995 BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. I've met the O2 twins from the BB4 sponsor ads. To finish off, I've met a man who was on TV for doing a streak at a football match in the Czech republic. It was considered a very serious crime and he was banned from the country for two years.

sproggy

Quote from: "Deadman97"
Go on sproglette, I fucking love Windsor Davies.

I asked him (well his wife) for the money and she paid me.  He was actually very quiet and seemed to dislike the attention he was generating, just by standing in the queue.  I felt quite sorry for him really.

Harry Corbett (senior) was also a regular in my cafe' back in the mid 80's.  His wife was a right moody sod, he was a bit of a tosser as well, always moaning about his toast being burnt or his tea was too strong.  Still, he's dead now so the last laugh's on me.

DonkeyRhubarb

Levenshulme in Manchester is a hotbed for ex-big brother contestants. 2 live in about 3sq mile radius. That scouse ginger one called Sissy, and the miserable Scottish one called Jason live in some flats behind a MacDonalds near me. I saw him in a pub down the road last Thursday night, he was wearing a cap that was too tight for his head and his nose is a lot bigger than it is on the telly.

Duffy

The MD of the small IT firm where I used to work was bessie mates with Jasper Carrott. One day Jasper's daughter rang up and she was fretting big-time. She'd lost an essay on her PC and it needed to be handed in that day. Eventually we were able to help her out and she was full of thanks.

Unfortunately, I can't remember if it was Lucy Davis or not.

Very poor indeed.

A slightly better one is that I got a mention in the special comeback edition of Your Sinclair that was given as a freebie with this month's Retro Gamer.

You're still not impressed, are you? I can tell.

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "DonkeyRhubarb"I also, once attended the UK premier of Arnies' 'Kindergarten Cop', Gareth 'GazTop' Jones was there.

Wow, was Arnie there?  Did he shout "I HAVEN'T GOT A TUMOR!" like he did in the fillum?

gazzyk1ns

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"I once saw that woman off the BBC daytime drama, Doctors

Not the one with really big tits?

Deadman97

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"
Quote from: "DonkeyRhubarb"I also, once attended the UK premier of Arnies' 'Kindergarten Cop', Gareth 'GazTop' Jones was there.

Wow, was Arnie there?  Did he shout "I HAVEN'T GOT A TUMOR!" like he did in the fillum?

The line's actually "IT'S NAAHD A TOOMAH!", and I love that film. Some of these claims-to-fame aren't *quite* shit enough, there're some people mentioned I'd quite like to have met.

phes

A couple of friends and I used to break into the back of a venue after gigs and sneak into the band room telling them the bouncers had let us up.

I met Shaun Ryder, he was a mong. I wanted to leave. Bez was worse.
I met John Power and being quite young was nervous by his offer of beer and drugs, So I drunk a coke.
I met Thom Yorke and was just a gobsmacked mute.
I told Jarvis Cocker he had nice trousers.

The list of times I have been a verbal invalid in the presence of the semi-mighty goes on. Wholely unimpressive, very crap claims to fame.

Ooh, and cokehead wanker Power Fm Dj - Martin Metcalf used my Decks and said that the timing of them was the best he had ever experienced. Now that really is a super-shit claim to fame.