Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:56:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Okay, really piss-poor claims to fame here, please.

Started by Deadman97, November 02, 2004, 09:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Carlton Palmer once threw up in my mate's pub carpark.

flumphead

It doesn't rival GazTop...
 Barry Venison, ex England footy team apparently, and ex co-presenter of Gabby Logan on itv before he was fired for being boring.  He gatecrashed our student all night bonfire party.  He made a brief trip home at 2am to wake his wife up so that he could get into the garage for beer resupply.  Upon his return he made a botched attempt at copping off with a lass who was unfortunately unaware of his fame.
 The line employed: "How's about you and me go behind them bushes?"

bomb_dog

I once had my highscore for Sonic the Hedgehog on the GameGear printed in Sega Power magazine, and a tip for 'Putt and Putter Golf' in GameZone (sometime early 90's console mag).

I've also once met the Chuckle brothers, Keith Chegwin and Bernie Clifton, all in the same week (ok, so it was at Butlins)

And to top the lot, I was stopped in Cardiff by Julian Cope in a large black car wearing a leopard-skin coat, asking for directions to the Virgin Megastore in the pedestrianised area, and completely failed to recognise him. (as did he, me)

Gazeuse

I've discussed rigs with The Dooleys' keyboard player and passed the time of day with Rose Marie.

phes

Quote from: "flumphead"It doesn't rival GazTop...

Excellent. Most of my friends take the piss and call me GazTop, i'd love to have met him!

Oh yep, my uncle tells me that my cousin is sound guy for Sophie Ellis Bextor and Will Young!  Bleurrgghh, but then he gets paid shitloads apparently.

Ooop, and another. My parents were both Archaeologists, so as a child I hung out with most of the dudes off time-team...but not Baldrick.

Cambrian Times

Had the oppotunity to talk to Jarvis Cocker on several occasions, when frequenting Little stabs at happiness at the ICA (This was run by Mark Webber, Pulp's guitarist - who was a nice bloke).

He's a very nice bloke. Also the last time I went before I went to uni was the night of Jarvis's 36th birthday and Cerys Matthews was there. When I told her I was going to Aberystwyth, she gave me her Gin and Tonic, which from Cerys Matthews is quite impressive.

Oh yes, and I an extra was in Stella Street the movie and shared a cab with Phil Cornwell

Ah, Bernie Clifton. When we were 16 me and a couple of mates cycled past Bernie's house as he was coming out of his drive; he ducked behind his dash board to avoid being recognised.
We must have been the first kids to laugh at him in years.

another Mr. Lizard

I work with a bloke whose younger brother is the bass player for the support act on Paul Weller's forthcoming tour. His missus is also the best friend of obscure 1970s actress Sally Faulkner.

At the age of eleven, I was a phone contestant on the third-ever edition of 'Tiswas', hence my voice was heard all over the Midlands failing to correctly answer a quiz question about George Bernard Shaw.

I once played a zombie in a film that wasn't 'Shaun Of The Dead'.

oldandnew

I share two of the names on my birth certificate with John Simpson. He's a semi-distant relative.

Timmay

Deadman97

Quote from: "another Mr. Lizard"I work with a bloke whose younger brother is the bass player for the support act on Paul Weller's forthcoming tour. His missus is also the best friend of obscure 1970s actress Sally Faulkner.

At the age of eleven, I was a phone contestant on the third-ever edition of 'Tiswas', hence my voice was heard all over the Midlands failing to correctly answer a quiz question about George Bernard Shaw.

Oooh, which film?

Lewis

Jeff Mills once asked me to hold his beer during a gig. I drank it.

I have been in Coronation Street, drinking coffee in Roys Rolls. I've also been in S4C's welsh teen soap "Rownd a rownd', again, drinking coffee.

I once ate chips on the same table at Chris Moyles.

wheatgod

i made eye contact with nigel planer today
he was in a pizza restaurant, but i am not able to confirm whether or not he was eating pizza. i was looking at his eyes, see, not his plate, although as it was a pizza restaurant pizza would be probable. but dont quote me on that.

BetaKarraTene

My aunt was a receptionist at a dentist who had the actor who played Darth Vader on their books.

My old religious education teacher is the father of the actress who plays Melody in the CBBC version of 'The Queens Nose.'

Chris Martin made fun of my name on the radio when I sent a question to him. (Actually it was more of an observation, but I'll leave that for another day...)

foxprorawks

Many years ago, there was a band called Marmalade who had a hit with the Beatles song Ob-la-di Ob-la-da.

See http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000668MS/qid=1099438523/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_11_3/026-5996909-5355644

My dad used to tune up their guitars for them when they were just lads starting to learn to play.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "weekender"Cyrille Regis once told me to shut up.

Nice one, Cyrille!

DonkeyRhubarb

Quote from: "Deadman97"
Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"
Quote from: "DonkeyRhubarb"I also, once attended the UK premier of Arnies' 'Kindergarten Cop', Gareth 'GazTop' Jones was there.

Wow, was Arnie there?  Did he shout "I HAVEN'T GOT A TUMOR!" like he did in the fillum?

The line's actually "IT'S NAAHD A TOOMAH!", and I love that film. Some of these claims-to-fame aren't *quite* shit enough, there're some people mentioned I'd quite like to have met.

No Arnie wasn't there unfortuately. My friend won tickets in a competition, in fact I think a majority of the audience were compo winners.

Because we weren't celebs we had to go through the civilian entrance. I think it was mainly z listers, Gareth 'GazTop' Jones was the only person I remember recognising, it was years ago though and I was young and impressionable.

Robot Devil

I snuck in (along with my cousin and dad) to Paulo Di Canio's signing-for-Charlton press conference, and made it onto Newsroom South-East.

I sent in a text to Ricky Gervais/Steven Merchant's XFM radio show and made them laugh (available here http://www2.xfm.co.uk/staticweb/avplayers/vanilla/x_audio.html?&stream=mms://195.173.73.27/xfm2003/audio/ricky_nov28_06.wma&end at the start, but you really have to listen to the whole of that week's show to get the full force of my untamed wit/understand what I'm talking about).

InfiniteFury

Alistair Stewart once quite rightly threatened to run me over for having the tenacity to stand in line for a filming of Have I Got News For You.

Ciarán2

Frank Carson used to be the mayor of the village I grew up in. Talk about Stonybridge...

another Mr. Lizard

Quote from: "Deadman97"
Quote from: "another Mr. Lizard"

Oooh, which film?

This one:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/630537693X/qid=1099439789/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-1460330-1264941?v=glance&s=dvd

slim

I got Dave Benson-Phillips to autograph a phonecard at Alton Towers. He told a dirty joke despite us being the only people in line over 18*. I can't remember the joke.

I met Morgan, the bass player in the Senseless Things, after their gig at the first free Heineken (I think) Music Festival in some park in Leeds.

I was handed a bottle of Jack Daniels by one of the women singers** in Chumbawumba whilst moshing at one of their gigs. The joy of having my request to drink it acknowledged and granted was marred slightly by the fact said woman had rotting black teeth.

I stood near Nigel with The Curly Hair from Eastenders at the Walton Folk Festival.

I was delivered by Sade's mother.***

Edit: Forgot one - on my first visit to Brighton, for a birthday jaunt a while ago now, I danced next to Zoe Ball and Norman Cook at the Big Beat Boutique.

There, six rubbish brushes with fame.

* We were students and thought it would be hilarious to get Dave Benson-Phillips' autograph. Just hilarious.

** The one who dressed like a nun, had a shaved head and wore boxing gloves.

*** This could be a lie. She was working as a midwife in the hospital I was born in, that much I am sure of, but this could be someone elses story mashed in with mine. I can't remember properly any more.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "foxprorawks"Many years ago, there was a band called Marmalade who had a hit with the Beatles song Ob-la-di Ob-la-da.
I have that record (7" single), albeit as a hand-me-down from an older brother.

Therefore I'm impressed.  :-)

untitled_london

i used to live on the same road as ron forfar.

nick cotton once asked me for directions to the nearest chippy.

:D

Beagle 2

Ooh, i once had one of my cartoons published in the Beano. It was of a scout putting a cowpat on his head instaed of his hat. I won a fiver.

Lt Plonker

I don't think I have any claim to fames. But one of my lecturers once stole a famous Italian director's table fan.

"If you can't take a joke, then don't go into the film business."

That's his motto. Funny guy.

Mr. Blobby once poked my nose whilst I was standing in a queue at a Future Entertainment Show. That's my naff brush with 'celebrity'..

TraceyQ

I'm friends with a man who's Dad is the bass player  in Judas Priest. His uncle is Rob Halford.

The drummer from the Charlatans knows me by name.

I went to Rob Collins'  wake.

Clint out of PWEI asked me for a blow job outside JBs in Dudley when I was 15. I told him to fuck off.

I know someone who has met Robert Plant.

I'm distantly related to Wyatt Earp and the Horlicks family.

I once got an email from Steve Shaw, founder member of The Detroit Cobras and  The Fondas.

I met Andy Crane in a pub in Walsall when I was 13. He was going out with Yvette Fielding at the time. He was very nice, actually, sat and talked to me and my sisters for ages.

I have a signed copy of "when the world knows your name" by Deacon Blue.

I sat behind Les Dennis and Derek Acorah at the Divine Comedy tonight.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"I sat behind Les Dennis and Derek Acorah at the Divine Comedy tonight.

We have a winner!