Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,305
  • Total Topics: 106,766
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:02:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

You know what's REALLY pissing me off?

Started by great_badir, June 27, 2016, 12:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

great_badir

So I'm watching that Guitar Star thing on Sky Arts (yes, I know it's pretty shit, but I do like to see talented unknowns), and I'm getting tired of that style where they spend as much time hitting the guitar as they do playing it.  The fact that it has even been singled out as a particular style grinds my gears.  There's one guy in particular (an already established player of this type - not on the program though) who spends most of his time hitting the guitar with his fingers and hands.

It's okay for the odd flourish, a la John McLaughlin or Paco de Lucia, but to do it ALL THE CUNTING TIME?!?!?!??!! 

"JIMMY, JIMMY, JIMMY!!!!!!!!!  You know what would be really amazing?  It would be really amazing if you used a violin bow on your guitar ALL the time!  That would be really amazing and not at all grating!"

Fuck off.

Black_Bart

I'm waiting for one where they systematically steal the work of other people, and pass it off as their own.

Steven

Quote from: great_badir on June 27, 2016, 12:17:30 PM
It's okay for the odd flourish, a la John McLaughlin or Paco de Lucia, but to do it ALL THE CUNTING TIME?!?!?!??!! 

I fucking hate it too, and wince when someone at the Open Mic gets up and starts doing it. It's a novelty but just sounds like someone wanking off after more than a minute, the lad I was speaking to the other day who was really good started doing it on one song, I asked where he learnt the style from. I suspected he, like most other people had seen the video of that cunt Andy McKee on YouTube as after that was online I started to lots of twats doing this style. He said no, he came home so monged on alcohol and drugs and wanted to play all he could do was slap the guitar so started doing that (sounds like he could be making that up to self-mythologise, but fuck knows) but yeah, I fucking hate it.

Quote from: Black_Bart on June 27, 2016, 03:17:58 PM
I'm waiting for one where they systematically steal the work of other people, and pass it off as their own.

Like how the blacks stole Western European music and passed it off as a Gospel?

Black_Bart

QuoteLike how the blacks stole Western European music and passed it off as a Gospel?

Think you might have confused incorporating western music into African folk styles to continue age old traditions with copying the words and music of someone elses work and claiming it to be your own... Then having to settle out of court.

great_badir

Steven - leave it.  It's not worth it...

Depressed Beyond Tables

I too am finding the novelty value of tap tap guitar to be wearing thin.

I'll tell you what else should be flung in the Liffey: Fucking Loop Pedals