Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:37:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"a sideways look at ................"

Started by dirkfunk, November 03, 2004, 01:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirkfunk

this expression seems to be used more and more these days in tv

Its annoying the fuck out of me.

its like cannon and Ball on acid

Bean Is A Carrot

As is describing any comedian as "outrageous", "wacky", "zany" or as "coming from left of field".

ninestonecreature

You forgot 'off the cuff' and 'madcap'.

gazzyk1ns

"You'll never look at things in quite the same way again after you've watched...."

Gavin

How about talking or writing about John Peel: Championing

Jemble Fred

Just before The Smoking Room yesterday:

"And now a new offering from THE HIT FACTORY that we call BBC 3...."

wheatgod

usually the phrase implies: "an unfunny look at......"

no_offenc

Or "an irreverent sideways glance at..."

Well, maybe not.

weekender

Yeah, we need more reviews and comments like this, which is adamclarke1986's complete review of 'My Wrongs', which I found on the IMDB* the other day (apologies if it's been posted before).

Quote from: "adamclarke1986"this film is a bit weird but i find a talking dog who thinks its a lawyer funny but then again i like seeing talking animals.
We need to have another Jurassic Park except the dinosaurs can talk and one of them could be really intelligent like the Gremlin from Gremlins 2

It raises so many interesting questions on so many levels, there's none of this 'taking a distorted view of current affairs' malarkey.

*Why is it DB?  'Database' is one word, isn't it?  Shouldn't it be the IMD?  Oh wait, they call themselves the IMDb, which although is still wrong, is slightly less inaccurate.

Dark Sky

Quote from: "weekender"*Why is it DB?  'Database' is one word, isn't it?  Shouldn't it be the IMD?  Oh wait, they call themselves the IMDb, which although is still wrong, is slightly less inaccurate.

Why do you think it's called the "Inaccurate Movie Database"?  Half of its information is incorrect anyway.  I feel its acronym represents that fact quite nicely.

Darrell

Quote from: "Dark Sky"Why do you think it's called the "Inaccurate Movie Database"?

Because people can't be arsed submitting corrections to it, instead preferring to sit back and mock a contributor-dependent database?

weekender

Quote from: "Dark Sky"Why do you think it's called the "Inaccurate Movie Database"?  Half of its information is incorrect anyway.  I feel its acronym represents that fact quite nicely.

Ooh, I can't come up with an acronym for that.  Well done.

Inaccurate Movie Analysts Can't Understand Nobody's Tetchiness.

Best acronym I can do at this level of Bacardi, sorry.

clarkycat

Quote from: "Dark Sky"
Quote from: "weekender"*Why is it DB?  'Database' is one word, isn't it?  Shouldn't it be the IMD?  Oh wait, they call themselves the IMDb, which although is still wrong, is slightly less inaccurate.

Why do you think it's called the "Inaccurate Movie Database"?  Half of its information is incorrect anyway.  I feel its acronym represents that fact quite nicely.

Half ?

Half ?!!!

How the "Bernard Matthews" do you know that?

I've been reading these bitchy posts for a while without wanting to contribute; I have you say that you lot really need more to do in life than criticise everything anyone has to offer.

It wouldn't surprise me if you truthfully have looked through half of the IMDb website, looking for "Inaccuracies".... YOU LOSER !!

Blimey Dark Sky, you'll know better than to mess with the IMD in the future won't you?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Sick. Offensive. I LOVE IT! This kind of thing is used so often, the whole "say loads of negative words then shock your reader to fuck by saying either 'all of these this show isn't' or 'I love it'" is very annoying. Or some variant of 'brilliantly sick' or 'wonderfully offensive'.

Dark Sky

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Blimey Dark Sky, you'll know better than to mess with the IMD in the future won't you?

I will, indeed!  

*feeling slightly shocked, scuttles out of the thread*

Paul Twist

Quote from: "Gavin"How about talking or writing about John Peel: Championing

Very true. My 14-year-old brother asked why they kept using that word when talking about Peel. I don't think he'd ever heard it before, then heard it about 100 times on the day of Peel's death.

Deadman97

Quote from: "weekender"Yeah, we need more reviews and comments like this, which is adamclarke1986's complete review of 'My Wrongs', which I found on the IMDB* the other day (apologies if it's been posted before).

Quote from: "adamclarke1986"this film is a bit weird but i find a talking dog who thinks its a lawyer funny but then again i like seeing talking animals.
We need to have another Jurassic Park except the dinosaurs can talk and one of them could be really intelligent like the Gremlin from Gremlins 2

It raises so many interesting questions on so many levels, there's none of this 'taking a distorted view of current affairs' malarkey.

*Why is it DB?  'Database' is one word, isn't it?  Shouldn't it be the IMD?  Oh wait, they call themselves the IMDb, which although is still wrong, is slightly less inaccurate.

Now this is very fucking strange- read that quote about Jurassic Park, and the dinosaurs talking, then read this script review from AICN- http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18166

Scroll past the pseudo-politics and read the review- it seems EXACTLY LIKE what's been suggested above.