Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:26:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Battlefield 1

Started by Beagle 2, July 07, 2016, 03:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

Come on then you beauties. I'm still playing BF4, still largely terrible at it but it's such an incredible game, there are points when events conspire in a certain way that I think it's the most impressive gaming achievement of all time.

I've been craving a historical shooter for a while though, and was hoping that the next installment would at least feature episodes from the past, some Vietnam, WW2 stuff at least. I'm absolutely bowled over that it's going to be WW1 though, what a brilliant decision (especially with the direction CoD is taking). I  might even play the campaign. If the script-writing isn't as completely terrible as usual it has the potential to be a real work of art (apparently it's going to be a series of vignettes set across the global conflict?).

Gonna have to shell out for a season pass on this one. I've really become a boring fucker over the past year, only playing Rocket League, BF4 and Fifa despite buying and ignoring loads of games. May as well make that investment.

Anyway. Looks fucking amazing.

Barry Admin

Thanks for starting this, I'll karma you up when I'm back on my laptlet.

Anyway, yes. Finally picked up BF4 when it was available for £4, was put off by all the probs at launch, and had just used EA Access to get on there last year. It is indeed magnificent, providing enough freedom and options for truly epic events to take place. I wish the bastards had reduced the season pass, too!

BF1 looks stunning. I love how the ancient design of some of the guns and stuff actually obscure your view. Amazing to see multi-user planes finally return to the world of Battlefield, too.

The only downer is there will be no helicopters, and they've been my absolute favourite since the days of BF2, when they had insanely high skill requirements.  They're always my go-to vehicle in games like GTA now, because of that.

Bazooka

BF2 is still the best largely because the class system was far better than it is in the latter games. The hope is BF1 actually balances things far better, no more assault rifle instant win because the online hit detection is skewed.

QDRPHNC

Yep, looks great. I loved Call of Duty 2, I liked the simplicity of the weapons. Single shot rifles. Don't like this remote control exploding cars that are laser guided shit.

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall at Call of Duty's office the day this trailer came out.

I'm going to buy it. I only buy like two games a year, and usually only play one of them.

monolith

It's all about Tribes. Jet packs and spinny disks and mortars!

Finally gave up playing BF4 with 1400 hours logged but I'm truly moist about BF1. Some friends of mine have been playing the closed alpha and are raving about it.

Pit-Pat

Has anyone else managed to play the Beta yet?

I couldn't play last night but after waking up at 5.15 (alarm set for 6 so I could go to an interview) I managed to play a Conquest and a Rush game and really enjoyed it. I particularly liked the horses and the return to large-scale destruction that Bad Company did so well (I loved all those low, white buildings in some of BC2's rush maps that could be taken apart wall by wall). Unfortunately I'm on holiday from Saturday so my play-time is going to be extremely limited but it definitely feels like a return to form after Hardline, and I've found it more fun in its simplicity than BF4.

Bazooka

I am probably the best rush mode player in existence,that is not something I say lightly. Run in squat down and wait until I die, take one for the team.

Beagle 2

Oot on Friday, just preordered. I didn't play any of the Beta but heard only good things.

I hope this is not shit.

Pit-Pat

Like a moron, I've committed to spending the entire weekend at my parents' house, having forgotten that this is coming out that day. Hopefully I can put some time in on my brother's PS4. What format do you guys play on?

Beagle 2

PS4, personally, I'm Jimbobabu. But honestly I've always been pretty bab, I just sort of wander around gazing at how splendid everything looks.

One thing I thought about the footage I've been watching on YouTube is how brutal an experience it looks, the mud, flash-bangs, kickbacks from the weapons and relentlessness of the ugly-sounding gunfire and explosions. I feel like I might not be able to put in the hours I have with previous versions due to sheer PTSD.

Beagle 2

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Singleplayer mode looks BOSS...
https://youtu.be/w7osXPv9dA8

Fuck it, I'll probably buy it. I sort of enjoyed the beta, but it felt a bit shallow. Not that I have enough spare time to commit to it really.

Beagle 2

Compare and contrast with CoD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeF3UTkCoxY

I don't care, I've never played CoD really but it does look unbelievably stinky.

Barry Admin

CoD is still a lot of fun, although I buy it mostly for Zombies, but do end up playing the multiplayer a fair bit. It's a very fast-paced framework that barely changes, which is both good and bad. I'd really love to continue playing BLOPS 3 (and will continue with the Zombie maps for years), but everyone will be moving to IW, and of course Modern Warfare Remastered. And a new 80's Zombies mode, courtesy of Infinity Ward, which might be great.

I'll try and save up for BF1, and while I usually love BF games, they can be a bit infuriating, and take time to adapt to. I love long-range sniping, but its so bloody annoying when you're on the other end of it in BF games. Just trying to get to the action, and some bastard wrecks you from literally miles away. The lack of helicopters will kill me, too.

In terms of people saying how visceral this is, yeah... I saw a clip on my feed yesterday... Guy is getting chased through a house, bolts outside and hides in a bush. The other player can't find him  so walks back into the house. The guy who was hiding has snuck up behind him though, pushes him up against a wall and knifes him in the heart. It was pretty wild.

Barry Admin

Anyone get it then? I'm a bit worried its going to be a dumbed-down casuls affair like Battlefront, and have seen a few comments of that nature, and a few more stating there's a huge lack of content.

Space ghost

I must say total biscuit's impression of the campaign has put me right off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkDysHo83lw

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Bought it cheap on CD keys. Servers are down. Fuck playing the campaign...

Twed

Quote from: Space ghost on October 21, 2016, 02:53:47 PM
I must say total biscuit's impression of the campaign has put me right off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkDysHo83lw
It's okay, the actual game doesn't have a pompous windbag talking over the top of it.

Space ghost

He certainly is a divisive character isn't he

Beagle 2

A few hours with it after the pub then. Early impressions are that the single player campaign is presented really well, and the stage select is a great idea which is going to make more people dip in when they fancy a break from multiplayer to clear a level. The actual gameplay is the usual tired crates and trigger lines, the bit I played tonight (Gallipoli) was pretty dull, looking forward to trying the vehicle stages.

Then played three rounds of conquest, man it's chaos, I loved it! Perfect for me, just like a Battlefield arcade mode. I see the Battlefront comparisons but I hated that, just seemed a futile waste of time straight away. This is more mindless than regular BF but so much more absorbing than Star Wars. Horses and bayonet charges both hilarious.

Looks great to me. I will get hours of pleasure out of this.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 21, 2016, 02:43:37 PM
Anyone get it then? I'm a bit worried its going to be a dumbed-down casuls affair

Yep, seems like it.

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 21, 2016, 02:43:37 PMlike Battlefront

Nope.

I like that you can select BF4 right from the title screen as well. The whole menu screens are much more satisfying than BF4.

Shay Chaise

I never put as much time into BF4 compared to how much I enjoyed it. It's probably my favourite online shooter ever though, maybe only Destiny is ahead of it on feel but ultimately, I could have carried on playing BF4 intermittently for a long while, I don't need a new game.

That said, I bought Battlefront, hammered it for an enjoyable few weeks, and I've just bought this. Hopefully I'll get a lot more out of it. My first impression is that it's a mixture of Battlefront and BF4, basically. It's streamlined, but much more varied. It's also really brutal and overwhelming. You never feel safe or protected and you seem to die quite quickly (not as quickly as SW:BF), well, I do, anyway. Because of the level of technology and lack of slick gear, it really brings home the visceral chaos. There's part of me which actually feels it's almost disrespectful to make a game out of this, such is the horror so I guess they've achieved something there.

Oh, and Operations is an incredible mode. I was under a zeppelin which got shot down and narrowly escaped the blast and it was absolutely incredible, probably the best thing I've ever experienced in a FPS. The explosion was like the bloody Hindenburg. Just ludicrous.

Shay Chaise

I've put a good few hours into this now. Ironically, despite the sci-fi setting, SW: Battlefront had less complex/futuristic tech than BF4, which made it quite straightforward to play, it was more about teamwork and attrition than individual heroics. I'd put BF1 more in that camp, too. Vehicles are quite hard to take down and so any time a heavy reinforcement arrives (like an assault train or zeppelin or warship), you really do need to work together to take it out ASAP or it will steamroll your team. That reminds me of Battlefront, too.

Despite these similarities, I think this is a much more exciting game. It looks about as good as SW:BF, but it feels much more diverse, even within environments and maps. You never feel funneled anywhere, bottlenecks seem pretty natural, like the entrance to a fort, and if you take over this kind of location, you'll have really earned it and can reap the benefits. Generally, it feels open but with lots and lots of natural and varied cover. Obviously, you've got trenches, you've got housing and bridges and churches and so on. You've got forests and rivers. There's nothing quite as jaw-dropping as the Shanghai skyscrapers from BF4 but that was DLC, I think, so I'll see what they come up with. So far, my favourite areas are the streets of Amiens and the Italian countryside of Mount Grappa. Just full of charm and character and, sadly, ruin.

I'd say it's not essential like BF4 but it's a more refined and accessible game, which suits me. 

mobias

I've been watching some clips of this on Youtube. Even if I was into first person shooters, which i'm not, I'm not sure this game would appeal to me. I just find the whole first world war setting a bit too grim and raw. Even with shooters I do like some escapism. Think I'll stick to blowing up AT-AT's in SW Battlefront, in which,  to shamelessly brag, I've just reached rank 65. 

Shay Chaise

Yeah, there's a horror and chaos to this which feels more real than any other FPS I've played. Running through a trench wearing a gas mask with mustard billowing in the breeze and turning a corner to suddenly catch another player unawares and knifing them in the back, you feel vicious. The Operations mode hammers it home further by telling you how many soldiers remain in the battalion before the operation will fail. It brings home something of the value and the complete lack of value of a single life.

Barry Admin

This is absolutely fucking amazing. Spent all Friday getting wrecked, and am finally just about up to speed. Went 25-1 earlier, although admittedly I was in a heavy tank for the whole round, after that first death.

The sound design and graphics are the best I've ever experienced, and really add to the incredible levels of immersion. I love being a squad leader and giving orders, then choosing "GO GO GO" from the comms rose, which usually makes the squad leader blow a whistle and give a "lets move, lads" style message. Squad leaders who never give orders are a nightmare.

Playing the forest level earlier, I was absolutely overwhelmed by the whole experience. BF has classically been about open large-scale warfare, but this is an amazing sort of close-to-mid range map that just looks fucking amazing. Everyone's funnelled through trenches and forest paths, and its exhilarating to see dozens of soldiers all dashing off to take the first point. I don't think I've ever been as immersed in a game before, it was gob-smacking.

We ended up back at A, where there was a building and, I dunno, it seemed like there were cannons all lined up at the back of us. Enemies were trying really hard to get in from both sides, with loads of us trapped in there. Mustard gas going off every so often, explosions knocking out bits of wall and making the lights shake, people dying and getting revived over and over again. A real sense of urgency and panic. It was like some of the choke points from BF3 Metro, but about a million times better.

Definitely have to save up for the Premium pass, as I already want more maps and modes.

Been spending a lot of time working on the planes, still not quite sure about them. People usually end up just ramming. I am definitely getting better with them, though. I spent a while just flying in and out through the air balloons, marvelling at how real they looked.  Beautiful double rainbow in the sky.

Then back on the ground, a 10x sniper rifle caked with mud, through which I watch bodies get launched through the air, before thumping on a hillside and slowly rolling down. Sometimes I'll run through a house and pass another friendly soldier, and his model turns his head to look me in the eye.

Campaign seems great too, although I usually don't get round to them.

A stunning achievement.

Played two rounds of the CoD open beta, plays and looks like ass. 

Beagle 2

It is amazing, but I'm absolutely shite at it, just constantly getting murdered in the face. I need to get my head around how to play it properly.

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Barry Admin on October 24, 2016, 05:15:09 AM
Playing the forest level earlier, I was absolutely overwhelmed by the whole experience. BF has classically been about open large-scale warfare, but this is an amazing sort of close-to-mid range map that just looks fucking amazing. Everyone's funnelled through trenches and forest paths, and its exhilarating to see dozens of soldiers all dashing off to take the first point. I don't think I've ever been as immersed in a game before, it was gob-smacking.

I think you've nailed the other side of what I was trying to say. You never feel funneled down one path, but the nature of trench warfare means you're constantly face to face with the enemy, whichever way you go. As brilliant as BF4 was, I often felt that the real action was happening elsewhere and I was looking for it. Here, the action never lets up, it's a constant push and pull, cut and thrust.

It's also well balanced, I reckon. I don't feel particularly frustrated by being sniped, because the slightly shit technology means you've got to be reasonably up close to pick them off. Again, while I quite enjoyed the odd snipe in BF4, it was a bit irritating getting pinged from right across the map, and didn't actually contribute much to the team.

As for Beagle, I'd say normal rules apply, play the objective, try to stick with your squad. I usually end up with an awful K/D but finish comfortably in the top 10 for overall score because I capture the flags, constantly try to spot the Hun and resupply my mates. If you go off wandering, you're a sitting duck in this.

Beagle 2

Yeah, I started off alright but seemed to get progressively worse all weekend until I was finishing close to the bottom last night and went to bed in a very dark mood!