Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:40:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cum Town Podcast

Started by Large Noise, July 08, 2016, 12:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Large Noise

Anyone else listening to this?

Funny and endearingly unplanned/shambolic podcast by some American stand-ups you've never heard of. Latest episode featured Jim Norton, with whom they had no chemistry whatsoever, which is reassuring.

hedgehog90

Ugh, why'd they have Jim Norton on? I might skip that one.
I've been listening to Cumtown since they were mentioned on Chapo Trap House.
Those are my 2 favourite podcasts atm. Highly recommended.
Best opening and closing theme ever.

John Quays

hedgehog90

It was pretty throwaway but in the latest episode where Nick changes the lyrics of 'eye of the tiger' to 'guy who fucks tigers' has amused me no end.
It's popped into mind several times today and I've had to refrain from laughing.
Just earlier I was I sat on the loo and it popped into my head again, so I allowed myself a good giggle.

One off man mental

Longtime twitter follower of Nick and the Chapo lads so both of these are an absolute delight, lost count of the times Cum Town has made me burst out laughing at work.

Couldn't make it through the Cross interview last week though, fucking painful. Convinced myself it was an elaborate gag they were all in on for a few minutes until it became apparent it was just a huge cock-up.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: One off man mental on July 28, 2016, 08:35:58 PMCouldn't make it through the Cross interview last week though, fucking painful. Convinced myself it was an elaborate gag they were all in on for a few minutes until it became apparent it was just a huge cock-up.

This was my first listen to the podcast and I assumed it was a (unfunny) joke. Seems like everyone likes this though so maybe I'll give it another chance.

hedgehog90

I still don't understand what that interview was. Sounded like they purposely made it awkward and crap but I'm not sure.
But yeah if that's all you've heard then give them another chance, episode 1 is probably a good place to start.

hedgehog90

This thread is quite highly ranked when you google CumTown as we seem to be the only people discussing it outside of Twitter.
We might have some Cumboy lurkers. Pretty exciting eh?

Depressed Beyond Tables

Started listening to the David Cross one after it was mentioned in the Richard Herring thread but plan to finish it. The guy seemed to be struggling a bit with Cross' improv at the beginning and kept repeating how they only had one set of headphones. His response to Cross explaining that he was only representing himself part-time was to mention the headphones thing. Again.

Bit of a soggy start but fingers crossed. No pun.

Large Noise

The Cross interview is really strange.

They were definitely fucking with him to some extent. They gave him absolutely nothing when he tried to be funny, and the way they were relaying what he said to each other gave it the air of a prank call, with the listener privy to more of what was going on than Cross was.

But yeah, don't let that put you off. It's genuinely a brilliant podcast. Unaffected, and avoids the self-congratulatory zaniness which a lot of comedy (especially improv style) podcasts slip into at times. At the same time though, there are loads of jokes and bits, so it avoids that other common comedy podcast trap of confusing lighthearted chumminess and inane banter for actual comedy.

Hank Venture

Cum Town rules, and I recommend BODEGA BOYS to everyone in this thread. Hilarious stuff from two Bronx, New York natives with the best chemistry in all of podcasting. Worth it for Mero's Ben Carson impersonation alone.

PlasticTom

Cum Town is very funny, thanks for the tip. It's sort of the exact opposite of something like Adam Buxton's podcast (it's offensive, has no structure, is made with very little care) and I have room in my heart for both.

alan nagsworth

I'm bumping this thread because a friend got me into this the other day and it's fucking brilliant. The unplanned chemistry between them is absolutely golden, I've been laughing like a drain on so many commutes this week and I'm only like five episodes into it.

Episode four with the Seth Dickfield character talking about the new Ghostbusters, I was listening to it at 6:30am today on the way to the hospital for some SuRgErY aWoOoOo and I straight up burst into loud, hysterical laughter at the bus stop.

"Think of how hard it is for those women. The male Ghostbusters made more money back in the '80s than those women are making now, and think about how much more work they have to do with all those extra ghosts in New York after 9/11!"

I can't wait to listen to every bloody episode.

non capisco

The recent Cum Town live episode was interesting, hearing each of their stand up sets. In contrast to his whipping boy status on the podcast, Adam's was probably the most structured and accomplished. It was strange hearing Nick doing a planned set that was about half as edgy as you'd expect and Stav telling actual jokes rather than just laughing like a maniac at something Nick's just said.

Sin Agog

The latest ep (64, Tier One) made me think that Mullen's genuinely a bit off.  Give it a listen.

newbridge

Listening to this for the first time. I don't know. I am quite impressed that there's someone in radio with a worse laugh than Ricky Gervais though.

non capisco

Quote from: Sin Agog on August 10, 2017, 10:29:09 PM
The latest ep (64, Tier One) made me think that Mullen's genuinely a bit off.  Give it a listen.

I'm very nearly finished with it I think. The constant Adam bullying is really quite tedious now.

Sin Agog

You mean it's just boring rather than cruel?  Adam seems bothered not one iota by it all.  It has become a bit in a pod that was supposed to be beyond bits.  Personally, I find the lengthy tech reviews more interminable, though I get what they're doing.  Will still stick with it, though, because with Stern and O&A and all of those things dead in the water, this does scratch an itch unscratched elsewhere.

And because Nick has said he isn't bothered by anyone posting links to rips of the premium content, and no one's linked it here yet, here are the premium episodes.  Haven't listened to any in quite awhile, but I wouldn't be surprised if the time you started to burn out on Cum Town was when they started to do these, and maybe stretch themselves a little thin. The ones I did listen to were often a lot better than the main episodes. https://www.reddit.com/r/Cumtown/comments/5fo5eh/premium_cumtown_episodes_mirror_updated_weekly/

non capisco

Quote from: Sin Agog on August 13, 2017, 11:30:09 PM
You mean it's just boring rather than cruel? 

Yeah, basically. It seems to take up about three quarters of each episode these days. There was a recent-ish one that started brilliantly with all three of them reminiscing about ropey stand-ups they'd been on bills with (I think it was the episode where Nick witheringly remembers 'The Drum Comic') but then quickly tipped into extended Adam ragging and got immediately less interesting.

willy crossit

yeah it's been slowly dropping off tbh. didn't make it through the last few

shame, at it's best was by far the funniest podcast I've heard

"maybe big dicks are in now, but I'm tellin' ya, five years down the line..." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT_JAQhPN4s

PlasticTom

Quote from: Sin Agog on August 13, 2017, 11:30:09 PM

And because Nick has said he isn't bothered by anyone posting links to rips of the premium content, and no one's linked it here yet, here are the premium episodes.  Haven't listened to any in quite awhile, but I wouldn't be surprised if the time you started to burn out on Cum Town was when they started to do these, and maybe stretch themselves a little thin. The ones I did listen to were often a lot better than the main episodes. https://www.reddit.com/r/Cumtown/comments/5fo5eh/premium_cumtown_episodes_mirror_updated_weekly/

Yes! Thank you for this! If I was going to do a Patreon for anyone out of principle, it would be UYD (which is still very good and they've recently started putting all the live episodes on Patreon).

I still love Cum Town, to be honest. The bullying of Adam isn't the funniest bit, but then Adam is a little bit hack-y and half invites some of the abuse anyway. They come back each week and do it again, so no harm done I guess. It's still the first podcast I reach for when it comes out. Nick actually seems a bit more relaxed in general, I was thinking recently - he certainly seems to be laughing at the others' jokes more. It's funny, as obnoxious as they try to be, I still find them infinitely more likeable than the Chapo lot.

Sin Agog

I was kind of indulging the Cumplainers here to be sociable, but I actually think many of my favourite moments have been from fairly recent episodes, like Chinese Jews (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVGqsHxgpVw&spfreload=10) and Alt-Right Homer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNg5J7MXgA4).

Like you, my eyes just light up every time I see Cum Town in my podcast feed.  It is a fact that the world has changed underneath us, and socially for the better in most ways (i.e. caring about the consequences of how we treat one another), but goddamn I need an outlet for my impish urge to always say exactly the thing everyone is trying hard not to say, and Cum Town is that for me.  Without it I'd just blurt that stuff out myself, and that's no good for anyone.

Sin Agog

Controlling woman writes angry screed about how Cum Town has ruined her relationship with her fiance:  https://twitter.com/6footinvisible/status/887806766028869632

WhoMe

+1 for Cumtown. It's a rare thing for people to actively try to come off as dumber than they are, and I get the sense Nick Mullen does that a lot. It makes the no-effort-whatsoever 'you're gay' insults/puns/jokes a lot more funny than they should be.
Thanks for the bodega boys recommendation. Shout out to Tuesdays With Stories as another excellent comedy pod with good chemistry - Mark Normand and Joe List on that one. If you go back a few months to when Joe was touring with Louis CK and Mark with Amy Schumer they have some absolutely brilliant anecdotes, but all episodes are worth a listen.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: Large Noise on July 29, 2016, 07:48:32 AM
The Cross interview is really strange.

They were definitely fucking with him to some extent. They gave him absolutely nothing when he tried to be funny, and the way they were relaying what he said to each other gave it the air of a prank call, with the listener privy to more of what was going on than Cross was.
I'm listening to it now and it's absolutely hilariously painful. "We wanted to have a dry run..." "with someone who's small enough..." "come on dude he can hear us"

Jerzy Bondov

Stav is on good form in this new episode. Really funny. Oh hell yeah dude, cupcake and a candy bar.

hedgehog90

Funniest Stav has ever been.

non capisco

Ffffffaaaaaaaaaaava beeeeeeeeans?

Jerzy Bondov

Whatever man this shit's boring who cares