Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:09:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cum Town Podcast

Started by Large Noise, July 08, 2016, 12:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Whatever dude this shits boring who cares

Indomitable Spirit

Quote from: Gwen Snyder is uncivil
@gwensnyderPHL

We sneer a lot about pastel QAnon and the fact that anti-vaxx tends to be women-dominated but we never talk about the possibility that those gender dynamics maybe have something to do with specific oppressive medical trauma experienced in a very gendered way."[/url]

Tweeting shit like this 1000x a day makes me want to turn Nazi more than anything I've ever heard on Cum Town.

non capisco

For what it's worth I stopped listening to Cum Town again last year (I've dipped in and out since it started) after I found myself wincing too often at every casual referral to a woman as 'bitch'. However ironic you take the racism and homophobia to be the misogyny sure seems real.

iamcoop

Quote from: non capisco on March 26, 2021, 01:43:24 PM
For what it's worth I stopped listening to Cum Town again last year (I've dipped in and out since it started) after I found myself wincing too often at every casual referral to a woman as 'bitch'. However ironic you take the racism and homophobia to be the misogyny sure seems real.

It's cool how you were fine with all the other stuff though until one particular thing made you uncomfortable.

For my two cents I think listening to the boys talk about women and listening to, I dunno, Jim Davidson talk about women are worlds apart.

It's obviously a similar argument to the "I have black friends therefore I'm not racist" argument but I think the fact they've had plenty of female guests on over the years (Bonnie McFarlane, Abby Rosenquist, Amber from Chapo etc) would suggest they don't hate women. The tone of the show, the jokes, subject matter etc doesn't change at all no matter who they have on so I've no doubt the conviction behind their statements that it's all in the pursuit of the joke.

For what it's worth I don't think they've ever said anything that's made me feel genuinely uncomfortable, although it's clearly not to everyone's tastes and I respect anyone that decides it's not for them.

They're the sort of guys that I have no doubt actually live their lives adhering to values such as "believe all women" yet gleefully make a point of highlighting the inherent absurdity of that statement. I think their harsh language when talking about women sometimes is just pushing that to the nth degree. Childish? Yes. Funny? Very. It wouldn't work If it wasn't.

Dog Botherer

lmao gwen snyder, haven't seen her post a deranged 100 tweet thread about something podcast related in a few weeks

non capisco

Quote from: iamcoop on March 26, 2021, 02:03:47 PM
It's cool how you were fine with all the other stuff though until one particular thing made you uncomfortable.

Dunno if that's you accusing me of hypocrisy there or if I've taken you wrong but whatever, I'm not making any grand statement or calling out anyone still enjoying it. I suppose it was an accumulation of things. Essentially it popped up in my podcast feed and I stopped looking forward to listening to it. As I say I've dipped in and out, as astonishing as Nick Mullen's mind can be there were always elements of Cum Town that made me feel weary/wary.

iamcoop

Quote from: non capisco on March 26, 2021, 02:15:29 PM
Dunno if that's you accusing me of hypocrisy or if I've taken you wrong but whatever, I'm not making any grand statement or calling out anyone still enjoying it. I suppose it was an accumulation of things. Essentially it popped up in my podcast feed and I stopped looking forward to listening to it. As I say I've dipped in and out, as astonishing as Nick Mullen's mind can be there were always elements of Cum Town that made me feel weary/wary.

Apologies, it might have come across more confrontational than I intended it to be.

I was making the broader point (albeit probably clumsily) that people are quick to laugh at things many will deem offensive but when a particular topic strikes a nerve with them they feel lines have been crossed.

It sounds like you just generally got a bit tired of the relentless nihilism of it all in general which is totally fair enough. I probably misunderstood your point so apologies again for that.

non capisco

All good, man. 'Generally got a bit tired of the relentless nihilism of it all' pretty well sums it up, I think.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Chriddof on March 26, 2021, 01:16:00 PM
Okay. Sorry to spoil everyone's fun, but I think everyone posting in this thread needs to read all of this. All of it.

https://twitter.com/gwensnyderPHL/status/1257362403790028808

[that gif of Doctor Evil saying "riiiiiight"]

peanutbutter

Okay. Sorry to spoil everyone's fun, but I think everyone posting in this thread needs to read all of this. All of it.

It pivots from being about cum town having a shitty listenership to being about cth being a gateway to fascist leanings on the basis that it leads people to cum town which leads them to fascist shit but like... where's the evidence of any of that?

Cum town undoubtedly has a lot of shitty people listening to it but I'm not sure that's stemming from people who were big into CTH. Also don't see much in the way of proof that cum town is a gateway itself so much as it might attract already shitty people and not do a lot to sway them from the path they're already on; I definitely don't see how it'd speed up their progress down that path either compared to the alternatives, I'd argue the opposite tbh

Anyways that Clapton episode was a definite low point for me and this whole bulk recording has been ridiculous tbh. Will Menaker is a fairly big humor vacuum for me too but I think it'd have gone even worse without someone else showing up in the middle.

Pdine

Quote from: Dog Botherer on March 26, 2021, 02:15:10 PM
lmao gwen snyder, haven't seen her post a deranged 100 tweet thread about something podcast related in a few weeks

It does seem counter-productive. Earnest tweet threads over-reaching for outrage are the wind on which the cumtown kite flies.

offwhiteblack

The funny thing about this is that you were clearly desperate to spoil everybody's fun, and yet you didn't.

iamcoop

Imagine Nick caring about anything enough to have an ideology lol

Jerzy Bondov

I was worried one of the boys had got metooed or gone terf before I clicked that link.

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 26, 2021, 05:13:51 PM
I was worried one of the boys had got metooed or gone terf before I clicked that link.

according to Gwen, they have reached previously unknown levels of me-tooedness. but only according to Gwen.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Pdine on March 26, 2021, 04:50:12 PM
It does seem counter-productive. Earnest tweet threads over-reaching for outrage are the wind on which the cumtown kite flies.

My favourite example of this phenomenon was the incredibly angry tweetstorm about how the toxic masculinity of beau brummel had ruined men's clothing forever. Tweeter later turned out to be the rather young meat in a bisexual love sarnie involving two mesmerisingly ugly science fiction authors.

I clicked the link - already had the person muted so I can safely disregard the contents of the tweet :D

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: MoreauVasz on March 26, 2021, 06:26:42 PM
My favourite example of this phenomenon was the incredibly angry tweetstorm about how the toxic masculinity of beau brummel had ruined men's clothing forever. Tweeter later turned out to be the rather young meat in a bisexual love sarnie involving two mesmerisingly ugly science fiction authors.
What are you on about?

MoreauVasz

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on March 26, 2021, 08:05:25 PM
What are you on about?

It's the Internet grandad, get with it!

AllisonSays

Gwen Snyder is crazy, at least on Twitter. It makes me sad that William Gibson seems to be pals with her (at least on Twitter).

I don't find Cumtown offensive or anything because I grew up in a small town in the north of Ireland in the '90s and if you think a podcast is offensive you should hear some of the things those people say. But I did start to find both the nihilism and the insularity or the faux-insularity boring. The idea that the rest of the world is a punchline or whatever - I mean I guess it's like a metajoke about how Americans think that, but it just started to depress me. These rich guys in an amazing city and all they can do is talk shit and buy esoteric electronic equipment.

bgmnts

Yeah but NYC isn't actually that amazing its quite dull really.

AllisonSays

Don't agree! I mean it's as fucked up as any big city in late capitalism but there's loads going on if you choose to get involved in it. I mean I've never lived there, only visited, but I've lived in London where there's a similar 'really dull/loads going on' dichotomy, and where the cost of living is similarly ridiculous.

ArtParrott

If youve got lots of money and you only have to work two hours a week it's probably a pretty good place to live.

VelourSpirit

The thought of Nick Mullen actively being a reddit mod is hilarious

MoreauVasz

I'm always amused by the annual attempt to cancel Cum Town.

Part of the problem derives from the way that when Chapo were rising to prominence, they wanted to share some of their success and so draped their arms around the shoulders of friends who happened to be podcasting. Street Fight did try to lean into the boost they received but the 40 something reformed drug addict cable TV repair guy was never going to be a good fit for the DSA. Similarly, it's not just that Cum Town aren't leftists it's that they're apolitical. I struggle to imagine any of the boys mustering enough energy and civic concern to actually go and stand in a queue and vote. I certainly can't imagine Stav getting passionate about who sits on the supreme court or which group happens to get tax credits.

I think a lot of liberal media types are labouring under the impression that Chapo and Cum Town do the same sort of material. People don't really talk about the 'dirtbag left' except when they're trying to cancel Chapo on the basis of stuff that got said by their mates on Cum Town or Red Scare.

chveik

Red Scare is pure garbage though

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: MoreauVasz on March 27, 2021, 11:26:09 AM
Similarly, it's not just that Cum Town aren't leftists it's that they're apolitical. I struggle to imagine any of the boys mustering enough energy and civic concern to actually go and stand in a queue and vote. I certainly can't imagine Stav getting passionate about who sits on the supreme court or which group happens to get tax credits.

I think that Nick, Stav and Adam were sincerely invested in both of Bernie Sanders' presidential campaigns and Stav to be fair did raise (IIRC) tens of thousands of dollars for various BLM-aligned charities last summer (just by streaming a bunch of games on Twitch, but still) so I don't think "apolitical" is quite a fair descriptor of them, although I think you're certainly right about them being disinterested in most instances of electoral politics.

Old Nehamkin

Having said that, it was incredibly funny when the New York Times did a hysterical article on Chapo last year and they alluded to Cum Town (without mentioning it by name) as part of a list of podcasts that were characterised as "bards of the new American left," especially as this was the period when the podcast mostly consisted of Nick just pissing about with a soundboard.

sutin

They're definitely not apolitical, they're 100% leftists. People just get confused by the non-PC humour which tends to be associated with the right nowadays.

MoreauVasz

Quote from: chveik on March 27, 2021, 11:43:25 AM
Red Scare is pure garbage though

They're red in so far as they're more Amber than Amber.