Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boxing Thread

Started by Konki, July 08, 2016, 09:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Konki

There doesn't seem to be much interest in boxing on here but I'll start a thread regardless as the spectacle of two sturdy men hitting each other about the face and body is a dance as old as time.

I was inspired to start this by the news that Kell Brook will be fighting Gennady Golovkin at middleweight in September.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/08/kell-brook-gennady-golovkin-fight-boxing

What the hell is he thinking? Brook is an excellent fighter but he's stepping up two weight divisions and 13lbs to fight probably the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world who knocks out regular middleweights for fun. Apparently Brook sees this as getting one over on Amir Khan who stepped up to fight Alvarez. He's showing admirable balls but surely he's going to get knocked out and badly? Not sure what GGG gets out of it either. What is it with all these pointless and one-sided match-ups across divisions?

Anyway, there you go: boxing.

rjd2

Quote from: Konki on July 08, 2016, 09:24:42 PM
There doesn't seem to be much interest in boxing on here but I'll start a thread regardless as the spectacle of two sturdy men hitting each other about the face and body is a dance as old as time.

I was inspired to start this by the news that Kell Brook will be fighting Gennady Golovkin at middleweight in September.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jul/08/kell-brook-gennady-golovkin-fight-boxing

What the hell is he thinking? Brook is an excellent fighter but he's stepping up two weight divisions and 13lbs to fight probably the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world who knocks out regular middleweights for fun. Apparently Brook sees this as getting one over on Amir Khan who stepped up to fight Alvarez. He's showing admirable balls but surely he's going to get knocked out and badly? Not sure what GGG gets out of it either. What is it with all these pointless and one-sided match-ups across divisions?

Anyway, there you go: boxing.

GGG can't afford to be choosy, not many people are lining up to fight him. Absolute balls of steel from Brook, but yeah he is getting destroyed.

Old Thrashbarg

Yeah, would be a huge upset if Brook somehow managed to catch Golovkin with enough of a punch to knock him out. And if that doesn't happen in the first couple of rounds I can't see how Brook gets within 10 points.

mikeyg27

Quote from: rjd2 on July 08, 2016, 11:56:30 PM

GGG can't afford to be choosy, not many people are lining up to fight him.

Think Brook has a similar problem and it's affecting his decision-making. An absolutely insane decision. If he somehow manages to go the distance he's got something to rub in Khan's face.

Konki

Mismatched as it is I will still try to get tickets as it's probably the only chance I'll get to see Golovkin fight... unless Saunders fights him in a unification bout. Not sure Saunders will though, as said above people aren't willing to get in the ring with him. It does sell the fans short.

Konki

Brook 176lbs at the 30 day weigh in... much bigger than I thought and looking fit too. This might just be a fight! I still think GGG (who scaled at 165lbs like a pro) will prove far too powerful though. I doubt Brook has ever been hit as hard as Golovkin will hit him.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/kell-brook-weighs-11lbs-more-than-gennady-golovkin-for-wbc-30-day-weigh-in/

Large Noise

Looking forward to GGG v Brook.

Interesting that Brook is going to have to cut to make weight, but let's be real; Genny is going to chase him down and punch his utter cunt in.

kaprisky

Golovkin in 4? He destroyed Martin Murray in 11 last year, on Channel 5. And he was a genuine middleweight.

Konki

5 or 6 I reckon. It'll take a few rounds to hunt him down but he will close him off. I'm starting to get a bit worried for Brook now.

Large Noise

Saw an interview with Freddie Roach yesterday where he said GGG will light him up and could finish it early.

Other people have been saying that he didn't look too happy at the weigh-in and either has a cold or jetlag or something. I don't really believe that stuff though.

rjd2

Brook is real, hell of a fight so far.

Johnny Textface

Yum - this is shaping up nicely so far!

Edit: Well that's a shame.  Although Golovkin appears to be machine-based.

rjd2

Fair enough, Brook wouldn't have lasted much longer anyhow.

GGG definitely looked somewhat beatable tonight, might tempt a few names to fight him after that.

Konki

He's always been hittable to be fair. Brook didn't hurt him though. Is there a middleweight as fast as Brook? I can't think of one. That was clinical. Fair play to Brook and his corner. HUGE balls.

Believe GGG when he said he didnt get hurt whatsoever, see Eubank's called him out on twitter good luck with that mate

Konki

I'd love to see that fight.

Konki

Joke fight but it's a big one, profile-wise. Haye's in better shape, more natural at heavyweight, has competed there before and won a world title. On top of that Bellew's giving away 10lbs, isn't as good a boxer (in my opinion) and has never been hit by someone as powerful as Haye. I can't see it going further than four or five. This doesn't serve either fighter well though apart from the purse. 

monolith

Quote from: Konki on March 04, 2017, 10:29:18 PM
Joke fight but it's a big one, profile-wise. Haye's in better shape, more natural at heavyweight, has competed there before and won a world title. On top of that Bellew's giving away 10lbs, isn't as good a boxer (in my opinion) and has never been hit by someone as powerful as Haye. I can't see it going further than four or five. This doesn't serve either fighter well though apart from the purse.
Nearly.

Konki

Well... who could predict that? Massive props to Haye there, big balls. 

Joshua Bellew?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Konki on March 04, 2017, 11:40:17 PM
Massive props to Haye there, big balls. 

Really? Big bloody idiot, more like.
Whatever the injury was, Haye made it a lot worse.

Konki

Depends. What makes a man fight?

monolith

Haven't really seen much of Bellew but scousers are funny so wanted him to win but didn't think it was likely looking at the fighters at the weigh in. Could only catch the fight on the radio but sounded like a belter.

Weird that Haye hasn't blamed his ankle yet, after the Klitschko fight all he could talk about was his injury.

Konki

Haye was on one leg for half the fight and Bellew took five rounds to finish him off. It wasn't impressive. That vampire Hearn is already pushing him to fight Wilder or Parker now. Top heavyweight contenders. Joke fight as I said earlier.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Konki on March 04, 2017, 11:56:31 PM
Depends. What makes a man fight?

He wasn't fighting after the injury - he was a punchbag.

Konki

He landed a few. I think it said more about Bellew's lack of ability and class not being able to finish the job.

Gulftastic

Thank god it's done. Pre fight bullshit reached fucking epic levels of annoying in this one.

mikeyg27

So, Joshua-Klitschko exceeded expectations. I thought AJ was fucked when he got knocked down, but he answered any questions about his heart and guts and even his brains with that ending. Best heavyweight fight in years.

Funnily enough, I kind of now think more highly of Tyson Fury for going into Germany and completely nullifying Wlad, something AJ couldn't do. As much as an idiot as he is outside the ring I guess he's that smart inside it.

wasp_f15ting

Quote from: mikeyg27 on April 29, 2017, 11:15:54 PM
So, Joshua-Klitschko exceeded expectations. I thought AJ was fucked when he got knocked down, but he answered any questions about his heart and guts and even his brains with that ending. Best heavyweight fight in years.

Funnily enough, I kind of now think more highly of Tyson Fury for going into Germany and completely nullifying Wlad, something AJ couldn't do. As much as an idiot as he is outside the ring I guess he's that smart inside it.

Agreed this was a great fight. I stopped watching after the 90s, and through chance watched a documentary on AJ, and thought I'd pay to watch this. Two gentle giants without ego.

I think AJ needed that Knock out to teach him restraint, recharge and fight once more. Hope Wlad takes his lovely fiance and retires.. doesn't need it anymore.

Konki

Heavyweight boxing is back on the map. That was incredible. I thought the Doctor had Joshua in the sixth. How he came back from those rubber legs I don't know but he did and he proved the doubters wrong. Joshua has so much heart, a decent chin and phenomenal power.

DrGreggles

Canelo v GGG confirmed for September!