Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Boxing Thread

Started by Konki, July 08, 2016, 09:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

druss

Quote from: Operty1 on February 23, 2020, 07:55:05 PM
How Fury reacts to this win is probably what people are interested in the most unfortunately. Last time he won this big he came off the rails, I hope he is as mentally strong as he has been portraying recently.
Probably completely out but I did worry when I looked at his eyes when they were announcing him as new champ, felt like despite it being everything he was hoping for there was still sadness behind the eyes.

Or he might be absolutely thrilled to bits and is still banging his fit wife, what do I know.

druss

Apparently Wilder's wife was posting about Wilder bagging a body in the fight last night so it's nice that at least one cunt's night was ruined.

Lord Mandrake

From what I gather he was brought to the brink of suicide not only because he had conquered his Everest but because he was completely ignorant of mental health. He's lucid enough to know that his issues aren't necessarily curable but eminently manageable so I think and hope he has people supporting/educating him.

When asked how he would celebrate he said he'd done that for 3 years and is more interested in hitting the bags and getting back after it, he even acknowledged that the belts and titles mean virtually f all to him. His candid and thoughtful words on mental health also make me think there's a lot more for him to give outside the sport in the future.

druss

Hopefully you're right. Depression is a scary cunt.

Operty1

Yes, great post. I find him a really interesting character, with intelligence and articulation beyond his boxing peers. His struggles with mental illness and how he deals with it are genuinely inspirational.

sevendaughters

re: Fury's look, I love it, he looks like an athlete from before the days of professionalism with bags of Barnum-esque energy. contrast that with Joshua as banal influencer-athlete, it's a great match.

Operty1

Fury's physique reminds me of one of those old fashioned circus strong men, no definition but unbelievable brute strength.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Operty1 on February 23, 2020, 09:50:46 PM
Fury's physique reminds me of one of those old fashioned circus strong men, no definition but unbelievable brute strength.

yeah if you watch actual strongman those guys are just barrels with arms

Operty1

I can easily see him with a handlebar moustache and a tiger print one shoulder leotard lifting a barbell with large round weights on either end.

Bazooka

Quote from: Operty1 on February 23, 2020, 11:19:41 PM
I can easily see him with a handlebar moustache and a tiger print one shoulder leotard lifting a barbell with large round weights on either end.

Excellent, see that now so vivid.

Marner and Me

I recall he gives alot of his money away, I guess that would also keep you hungry, you're not really going to want to work when you have millions in the bank. Well done and fair play to the guy. Goes to show there is a way back from the brink.

Emma Raducanu

He spends time round my way. Seen him out many occasions and he is always fucking lovely to everyone so this result thrills me. Plus he really is insanely massive, like no human being you meet in normal life.

lebowskibukowski

Didn't see that coming at all, thought the whole new gym/coming in heavy was just going to be some sort of ruse and Wilder would walk right through him. Fair fucks to Fury, as prior to this I didn't think he had anywhere near enough power.
Starting to warm to him despite the misogyny/homophobia/nandrolone. Please stop singing, though.

Obel

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on February 24, 2020, 07:54:10 AM
Starting to warm to him despite the misogyny/homophobia/nandrolone. Please stop singing, though.

I've also been struggling with this. I absolutely despised pre-mental breakdown Fury, but since his comeback I've really come around to him. I wonder how much of it was just being put on for the cameras to sell fights.  Even the singing I thought was hilarious; he was proper endearing to the yanks by singing American Pie and banging on about jesus.

DrGreggles

He's a personality - and that's been missing from heavyweight boxing for a bloody long time.
That he's got the skills to back it up just makes it all the better.

sevendaughters

Quote from: DolphinFace on February 24, 2020, 06:22:42 AM
He spends time round my way. Seen him out many occasions and he is always fucking lovely to everyone so this result thrills me. Plus he really is insanely massive, like no human being you meet in normal life.

yeah I see him in the Costa in Bolton, near the railway station/Decathlon. he's obviously huge and much more normal. low key even. if such a thing is possible.

as far as i can tell re: his dodgy opinions, he apologised and worked on it. i'm not saying he's a paragon of virtue and maybe his PR train is better, but i'm willing to take an apology at face value the first time.

druss

Yeah everyone deserves a shot at redemption and he has done more than enough to convince that he's a pretty sound bloke since the dodgy comments.

Chollis

very happy with that, Tyson's great fun.

can't be arsed with a 3rd rematch, we've seen all we need to. Hope AJ is up soon and he obliterates him, the boring cunt

Marner and Me

And fucking Wilder has activated the rematch, I can see this being harder for Fury than Wilder (He has everything to lose) However I can see Hearn rubbing his hands with glee, as this could put a huge spanner in the fight v AJ as he knows his boy would get his ears boxed in. However he has to get past Pulev first.

druss

Quote from: Marner and Me on February 25, 2020, 09:00:31 PM
And fucking Wilder has activated the rematch, I can see this being harder for Fury than Wilder (He has everything to lose) However I can see Hearn rubbing his hands with glee, as this could put a huge spanner in the fight v AJ as he knows his boy would get his ears boxed in. However he has to get past Pulev first.
Did you watch the fight? I can't see any way that Wilder wins the third, Fury has his number. The excuses from Wilder are fucking hilarious though, would love Fury to wear something that weighs 45lbs on his ring entrance and to clobber him again. Wilder really rubs me up the wrong way, the mouth of Ali without the talent to back it up.

Marner and Me

I did see the fight, yes in fights one and two Fury battered him all over the place, what I'm thinking is it is his third fight against this guy, it could be harder for him to get motivated for it. Wilder is trying to prove the whole world wrong, whilst Fury is now having to prepare for a fight he doesn't want.

Wilders excuses are embarrassing, just shut up, admit you got beaten by the better man and go again.

druss

Oh right, yeah if Fury loses a little bit of motivation then Wilder would have a punchers chance although even a 70% Fury I'd back.

But a fully motivated Fury could end Wilder's career on the evidence of the last fight.

Marner and Me

Yes fully agree, it is still Furys fight to lose. He knows about the right bomb and will keep away from it. I just hope he doesn't try and showboat as he could slip up.

DrGreggles

Isn't there a standard clause in title fight contracts about a unifying title fight superseding a rematch or mandatory defence?
Pretty sure that there's no contractual reason why Fury v Joshua couldn't happen.

wooders1978

sevendaughters

Fury v Joshua still has a wide window of being a hot and relevant fight so I'm not sweating a rematch. Next summer would be great. That said I don't see Fury having too many more matches - he's got the sensibility where you make your money and get out while you have some marbles in your head.

DrGreggles

Joshua isn't a big deal in the States though.
His one high profile fight there was the loss to Ruiz, so he might be seen as a difficult PPV sell.

sevendaughters

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 26, 2020, 08:41:34 AM
His one high profile fight there was the loss to Ruiz, so he might be seen as a difficult PPV sell.

yes and doing the rematch in Saudi was silly both ethically and in the long-term.

however, Fury-Joshua at Wembley or Spurs or Cardiff would be £200 starting price on the gate. easy record gates and a big PPV based on Europe and casual boxing fans around the world.

wooders1978

And it would be a title unification fight, which will interest a lot of people - add to that Tyson himself will be enough of a draw to bring the Americans in

Won't happen though per my previous comment

joaquin closet

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 26, 2020, 08:41:34 AM

Yer but Tyson very much is now... Also Joshua is a bigger deal in the US than any other Heavyweight besides Wilder/Fury/Ruiz (at a stretch - and only because he beat Joshua, so presumably those who know him also know AnTHony), so wouldn't call it difficult... maybe just not the record breaker that Wilder/Fury was (in the States - will be mahooosive in EU)