Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:17:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boxing Thread

Started by Konki, July 08, 2016, 09:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: druss on June 06, 2021, 09:24:47 PM
I think Mayweather is more likely to commit a legal murder than to let Paul look good.

Genuinely think Paul is going to get seriously hurt. If I practised basketball really intensely for a few years I wouldn't get close to making the NBA. This is no different.

Presumably the ref will give a TKO pretty quickly if Mayweather starts smashing his face in?

druss

Maybe I can still make the NBA after all!

bgmnts

Are serious boxing fans as annoyed about it as I imagine or did everyone go into knowing this would be the outcome?

kngen

Credit to that big nob for taking some pretty big hits and still standing, but Mayweather barely got out of 2nd gear - there were at least half a dozen times that Logan took a big, blundering fresh-air swipe and left himself totally open, but Mayweather just put his guard up and skipped away. Knew this was going the distance after about the second or third of those. I expect a rematch to be announced soon enough. 

That said, it was pretty funny to see Logan looking like he'd just done ten rounds after just one, when all he'd done was lumber after Mayweather as he danced away from him. Amazing to think that, even after months of training, three minutes in the ring can make you feel like you're about to die, and your opponent hasn't even attempted to lay a glove on you.

I really, really hope this makes him think he's now a proper boxer and tries to take on an active fighter in his own weight division. A top amateur could take him down in three.

kngen

Quote from: bgmnts on June 07, 2021, 02:36:40 PM
Are serious boxing fans as annoyed about it as I imagine or did everyone go into knowing this would be the outcome?

Mostly lots of eye-rolling. Theories flying around that Floyd propped up Paul after nearly KO-ing him to keep the fight going the distance. I can see their point:

https://twitter.com/Foot_Basket/status/1401778766372913154

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on June 07, 2021, 02:36:40 PM

It was an exhibition bout, so I'm not sure what people were expecting.
Anyone who forked out for it thinking it would be any more than a sparring session should get in touch, as I'm currently selling some magic beans.

Bazooka

Quote from: kngen on June 07, 2021, 02:48:49 PM
Mostly lots of eye-rolling. Theories flying around that Floyd propped up Paul after nearly KO-ing him to keep the fight going the distance. I can see their point:

https://twitter.com/Foot_Basket/status/1401778766372913154

Haha.

Famous Mortimer

I don't know what to think. As I dislike both of them, I was kinda hoping for a New Jack run-in with a barbed-wire baseball bat, but this seems a curious outcome. Mayweather's coda is now not being able to beat a Youtuber, and Paul can now say he went the distance with one of the greatest boxers of all time. I don't get it.

Bazooka

I watched it earlier(watched is a strong word) and just silly games, I know Mayweather has absolutely nothing to prove, but 8 minutes in was where it should have ended in the real world.

rjd2

Lads big fight tomorrow.

Yep Campbell Hatton is back!

Crap jokes aside, genuinely very excited about Usyk v Joshua. Usyk will know if he wants to win he can't let it go to the judges so its knockout or bust and sadly for him I don't see that happening. Usyk has got hit in most of his fights so expect Joshua to drop maybe between rounds 7-9.

Anybody disagree?

Quote from: rjd2 on September 24, 2021, 10:25:27 PM
Lads big fight tomorrow.

Yep Campbell Hatton is back!

Crap jokes aside, genuinely very excited about Usyk v Joshua. Usyk will know if he wants to win he can't let it go to the judges so its knockout or bust and sadly for him I don't see that happening. Usyk has got hit in most of his fights so expect Joshua to drop maybe between rounds 7-9.

Anybody disagree?

Surely Usyks only chance to win is on points. He most likely isn't going to knock Joshua out, but could outskill him. I expect AJ to win by KO though.

wooders1978

AJ will KO him within 3 rounds unless he's trying to test himself for distance again - a prime Usyk barely beat Chisora, I'm not expecting him to cause Joshua a problem - we'll see

DrGreggles

Usyk hasn't looked all that when I've seen him.
Not a Joshua fan, but he'll win this early.

mikeyg27

Does this fucking entrance take 12 rounds as well?

Harry Badger

Usyk all over him - gonna be tricky for the judges to fix this one.

WhoMe

wooders1978

Sounds like Joshua has been very poor?

Harry Badger

Quote from: wooders1978 on September 25, 2021, 10:59:06 PM
Sounds like Joshua has been very poor?

Just totally outboxed. He was out on his feet at the end and looked a beaten and demoralised man.

DrGreggles

That was a mullering.

Usyk was the better man from the start. No snap from Joshua at all.
Thought he'd have too much power for Usyk, but he barely landed a decent shot all night.

DrGreggles

117-112
116-112
115-113

Generous to Joshua, I'd say.

WhoMe

Yeah not so much Joshua being poor as Usyk putting in an all-time performance.

Eddie Hearn is fucking gutted hahaha

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Johnny Textface on May 18, 2021, 09:12:32 PM
My money would be Usyk to beat Joshua. I'd get good odds and it's a risky play but I could see it happening (if he bulks out a bit properly).

Odds weren't that great as it turns out.

DrGreggles

Yes, I'll hold my hands up and admit how much I underestimated Usyk.
I'm never usually impressed with Cruiserweights who step up, but that was very impressive.

Joshua is a startlingly mediocre heavyweight.  Outboxed again - by a boxer with greater boxing intelligence, technical ability and experience.  Joshua is lucky that Usyk  has the power of a cruiser weight - a Fury or Wilder would've taken his head off.

Result never looked in doubt from the moment the fight was announced. The Ruiz fight exposed Joshua - Ruiz is also a quality technical boxer, but is more than a bit lacking fitness wise.  Usyk  didn't have that issue.

wooders1978

I think he has lost the killer instinct since being knocked out by Ruiz and doesn't appear to have the heart to dig in when things get tough - the rematch is huge for his career - he can forget a mega money matchup with fury if he doesn't obliterate usyk in the rematch - I agree he is not a classy technical boxer which he seems to be trying to reinvent himself as

DrGreggles

Impressive from Fury, but I think that could've been stopped 2 or 3 rounds earlier.
Wilder was taking a lot of clean shots to the head and came out for the final few rounds like a zombie, essentially being a punchbag.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Who is Fury going to fight next? These bouts are what the two men will be end up defined by, surely.

greenman

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 10, 2021, 05:48:08 AM
Impressive from Fury, but I think that could've been stopped 2 or 3 rounds earlier.
Wilder was taking a lot of clean shots to the head and came out for the final few rounds like a zombie, essentially being a punchbag.

He was throwing a few back though which I suspect is what kept the fight going, last few round though it did seem like a case of when the big shot would land when Wilder was be hurt and pushed back.

Fury down twice but I would say both of them he went down, Wilder hurt him but not enough to go down, looked like he making sure he didnt take a big shot on the followup.

Joshua's efforts to improve technically really I think have meant he'd drifted too far from his strenght, he's never going to be a slick boxer.

Chedney Honks

Just watched the replay of this. What a horrible sport.

Lord Mandrake

It's two 17st, mentally challenged threshing machines trying to anaesthetize each other for money.  "Horrible" is complimentary.