Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:53:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Boxing Thread

Started by Konki, July 08, 2016, 09:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Infinitely better than doing it to randos on a night out though

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 10, 2021, 09:24:02 AM
Just watched the replay of this. What a horrible sport.

Are you a masochist?

Chedney Honks

Just curious what an 'all time classic' looked like.

Quote from: DrGreggles on October 10, 2021, 05:48:08 AM
Impressive from Fury, but I think that could've been stopped 2 or 3 rounds earlier.
Wilder was taking a lot of clean shots to the head and came out for the final few rounds like a zombie, essentially being a punchbag.

You nicked this post from DrGreggles on the guardian comments, word for word.

rjd2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 10, 2021, 06:28:29 AM
Who is Fury going to fight next? These bouts are what the two men will be end up defined by, surely.

I think Wilder might consider retirement took a serious amount of abuse in that fight and money is made.

I know some think we may get Joshua v Wilder, but that might be one Joshua swerves, yeah Wilder is basic but he's so dangerous  though.

Fury? I think Joshua needs a win for that fight to happen which is tricky, the easiest fight could be Whyte if he wins in a few weeks.

Fury would win easily, but BT will hype the fuck out of it "battle of the brits" etc and it will do good business.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Chedney Honks on October 10, 2021, 09:24:02 AM
Just watched the replay of this. What a horrible sport.

New information? It's hitting people in the body and head mate and doing it the best

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fury victory easier to enjoy if his politics weren't absolute anus. Was even savvy enough to tell Wilder he has a chance to come out from this as a major star in a decade defining match up, set up for life and full respect for Wilder.... so long as Wilder does the right thing and yet he still can't pluck up the decency. Fury even bigs him up afterwards (though also said 'what an idiot') and yet a pretty classless response all round from Wilder.

Wilder should retire to be honest, no shame in that, only way is down. No fucking way are Joshua's team dumb enough to take that fight unless there's a certificate from some medical staff stating that for whatever reason Wilder now has thalidomide punched into him. Joshua might have a chance but he has already shown against Ruiz his ringcraft is non existent and technique not good enough against sharp hitters.

Having seen the Usyk fight I can't see how Joshua wins the rematch but you could have said the same after watching Ruiz. Except, Ruiz decided to have him moment of glory and rest on his laurels. Highly unlikely Usyk is gonna do that.

DrGreggles

Quote from: thelittlemango on October 10, 2021, 01:17:46 PM
You nicked this post from DrGreggles on the guardian comments, word for word.

Nah, he nicked it from me. The cunt.

Yussef Dent

Quote from: rjd2 on October 10, 2021, 01:50:56 PM

Fury would win easily, but BT will hype the fuck out of it "battle of the brits" etc and it will do good business.

I don't know if this is still the case but Whyte used to be signed to Matchroom on a fight-by-fight basis. If that is still in place then it may make sense for Whyte to sign with Queensberry as the rival promotional stables rarely match fights because of the different broadcast deals. It'll be a PPV fight no doubt and just having to deal with one promoter and one TV network over here would make it a very easy thing to sort out.

rjd2

Quote from: Yussef Dent on October 11, 2021, 03:41:21 AM
I don't know if this is still the case but Whyte used to be signed to Matchroom on a fight-by-fight basis. If that is still in place then it may make sense for Whyte to sign with Queensberry as the rival promotional stables rarely match fights because of the different broadcast deals. It'll be a PPV fight no doubt and just having to deal with one promoter and one TV network over here would make it a very easy thing to sort out.

I think the biggest problem for Whyte is Otto is actually pretty good and could win and that would be that regarding that particular "battle of Britain". !

druss

There's a lot to like about Fury but a lot of dodgy shit as well. Even if you excuse the mad comments he made during his coked up years as being the ramblings of a deeply unwell man, the Kinahan stuff is very sketchy and there's also the fact he was banned for doping, with allegations of bribing someone to cover it up. He's also mates with bona fide scumbag Billy Joe Saunders.

I really want to like him as it's an amazing comeback story and he has done fantastic things in the ring. I just wish there weren't all these question marks.

rjd2

Saunders is the absolute worst for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HGTM0NOEeY

I recall the Panorama doc a while ago, cliff notes.... Fury along with plenty in MMA and boxing (BJS and Darren Till ) were quite close to Daniel Kinehan who from all accounts has had people murdered. Its a worthwhile watch the above no matter your opinion on Fury.

rjd2

And in the least surprising news ever Whyte has pulled out of his tricky fight v Otto.

Going to be interesting to see what happens regarding that card now, supposedly ticket sales were poor this obviously won't help.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1450781644319858691

Famous Mortimer

Jake Paul did nothing for 5 rounds, then dropped Tyron Woodley with one good shot. He doesn't need the money, presumably, so I've got no idea what he's going to do next.

rjd2

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 19, 2021, 04:57:58 PMJake Paul did nothing for 5 rounds, then dropped Tyron Woodley with one good shot. He doesn't need the money, presumably, so I've got no idea what he's going to do next.

It's very canny gimmick to be fair, baiting washed up UFC fighters and making money.

I don't know which UFC fighter is next, Mas, Usman and Nate are all in contracts and Dana won't release them as he knows it looks poor for the UFC as Jake knocks them all out.

Maybe Anderson Silva and Belfort could be a problem but Jake will swerve them.

Maybe he does the Tommy Fury fight,,,but from what I seen last night despite how crap Tommy is he would still murder Jake.

Also I enjoyed the Chisora fight despite odd cards, however please fucking retire Chisora.

Parker probably not good enough to trouble the elite, but their is fights for him against the likes of Joyce etc.

rjd2

Also I know he is a berk, but Josh Taylor not getting a SPOTY nomination is an absolute disgrace.

wooders1978

That was a spectacular dive from Woodly

bgmnts

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/hasim-rahman-jake-paul-boxing-27665255

This new world of youtube boxing is just fucking weird. Can't two lads who trained for years go up and fight?

Tyson is a social media bloke now, maybe Paul can get him back in the ring for one final Rocky Balboa fight. Have to assume Tyson would still kill Paul if he got into the frame of mind.

DrGreggles

I've got Usyk by at least 4 here.
Unless the judges are on the take this should be Joshua's last hurrah.

How come Joshua doesn't seem to realise that he has a huge reach advantage?

DrGreggles

Split decision?!
Fucking hell, that was dodgy.

Johnny Textface

Mental twist in that fight. Last 20 seconds of round 9 and first 20 seconds of round 10. That's almost the tiny differences that win you at tennis. Embarrassing child from Joshua at the end. Glad he lost.

DrGreggles

One of the judges, a professional boxing judge, thought Joshua won 7 rounds tonight.

Are these judges ever held to account on their batshit decisions?

imitationleather

Not got a clue how anyone on the planet could think Joshua was anything other than completely battered in that fight.

I know nowt about boxing, by the way. But I get all the box office stuff on me IPTV so fill my boots.

rjd2

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 21, 2022, 12:31:40 AMOne of the judges, a professional boxing judge, thought Joshua won 7 rounds tonight.

Are these judges ever held to account on their batshit decisions?

Boxing judges are a lost cause. Those who scored the Taylor fight earlier this year, oh man.

Not sure what is next for AJ, suppose Whyte an easy fight to sell to the UK audience or Otto Wallin whose name has popped up. He doesn't have much power but went the distance with Fury so a quick KO would go down well with the masses.

bgmnts

Famous Mortimer

This was where I expected Paul to get knocked out - facing a real, top-level fighter (admittedly, not in pure boxing, and 10 years past his prime). Didn't appear to be any quarter given (unlike the genuinely piss-poor Mayweather - Logan Paul effort), so kudos to Jake, I guess. I think he's behaving about as sensibly as he can - taking on people with name recognition but not at the top of the game, and making piles of money. He knows his first bad loss will be the end of the gravy train, I would have thought.

I like how no-one here even bothered to pretend the recent KSI two-fights-in-one-night thing was a remotely real sporting contest. His name is now attached to some free-to-stream events with sport website DAZN, where people who I assume are Youtubers or TikTokers pretend to box each other. One of those things where I'm not sure how anyone is making money, unless the ticket prices to see it in person are extremely expensive.

I thought the Youtube boxing bubble would have burst, but apparently not. Given I'm not all that big a fan of boxing and my Youtube viewing is mostly speedruns of computer games and coin collecting, I'm not sure why I'm so fascinated by this.

rjd2

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 30, 2022, 05:48:02 PMThis was where I expected Paul to get knocked out - facing a real, top-level fighter (admittedly, not in pure boxing, and 10 years past his prime). Didn't appear to be any quarter given (unlike the genuinely piss-poor Mayweather - Logan Paul effort), so kudos to Jake, I guess. I think he's behaving about as sensibly as he can - taking on people with name recognition but not at the top of the game, and making piles of money. He knows his first bad loss will be the end of the gravy train, I would have thought.

I like how no-one here even bothered to pretend the recent KSI two-fights-in-one-night thing was a remotely real sporting contest. His name is now attached to some free-to-stream events with sport website DAZN, where people who I assume are Youtubers or TikTokers pretend to box each other. One of those things where I'm not sure how anyone is making money, unless the ticket prices to see it in person are extremely expensive.

I thought the Youtube boxing bubble would have burst, but apparently not. Given I'm not all that big a fan of boxing and my Youtube viewing is mostly speedruns of computer games and coin collecting, I'm not sure why I'm so fascinated by this.

I'm skeptical of whether that Paul v Silva fight will do good money,their were plenty of cheap tickets in the last few days of the build up. His 2nd fight v Woodley bombed financially on PPV. Silva is a UFC legend but does Joe Bloggs know ought about him?

I suppose he fights Nate next which could do good business as Nate has a big fanbase but after the inevitable murder then I think there are no other UFC people left for him.

KSI has a big fanbase in the UK, Hearn is a knob but I believe him when he says that KSI shitfest sold plenty of PPV'S.

bgmnts

The problem with Paul is that like his brother obviously starting out as a reprehensible privileged awful cunt and then getting into boxing at the Rocky III stage fighting bums, there is no arc. He needs an arc. Don't boxers need that struggle?

Like Mortimer I expected this fight to be the end of Jake Paul. My theory why he's beating these ex MMA champions is that he's training and living now as a full time fighter with actual fight camps and the opponent's are semi retired, or even have completely retired and the fight camps have been not as intense shall we say as when they were living that life full time.

I suppose the equivalent is why you see ex professional footballers struggling with amateurs in charity games like Soccer Aid. They are not training, and their better days have come and gone.

The huge question mark with Jake Paul is that he's not really boxed a boxer either of a similar level of experience and so we can't really tell his level, or he's not even faced a boxer at the end of their career or tempted one out of retirement. Not being able to fight Tommy Fury or Rahman Jr leaves that question mark against his record.

DrGreggles

Must be weird for a big boy like Chisora, who has gone through life being a big boy, to get so easily bullied by an even bigger boy like Fury.