Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:41:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boxing Thread

Started by Konki, July 08, 2016, 09:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

I don't particularly like either of them, but at least the heavyweight division has some biggish names again.
Not convinced that any of them are actually that good though.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Might be irrelevant, but something I've noticed about Fury recently - his quads and calfs are massively overdeveloped in relation to his upper body. It does seem to suggest he's worried about getting knocked out, and that his main objective is staying on his feet. Just a thought. 

As for watching it, unless I manage to wake up stupidly early (which I have been doing the past few days or so) I think I'm going to hit the old torrents later on, see it that way.

Lost Oliver

What time do we think it'll be on? I'm tempted to wake early and try to get a stream on reddit. I get the Sunday Scariers so waking at a ridiculously early time on Sunday should help with that. Win win.

It should be said that I know next to nothing about boxing but I think Fury is brilliant. A proper personality. He might be a wanker, and he is, but he's real.

monolith

He's obviously very flawed but if he actually sticks to his promise of donating his fight purse to the homeless then he will forever be a great bunch of lads, despite his dodgy views.

I'm not sure he will though, seems very much like a spur of the moment mad outburst.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: Lost Oliver on November 30, 2018, 04:28:54 PM
What time do we think it'll be on? I'm tempted to wake early and try to get a stream on reddit. I get the Sunday Scariers so waking at a ridiculously early time on Sunday should help with that. Win win.

It should be said that I know next to nothing about boxing but I think Fury is brilliant. A proper personality. He might be a wanker, and he is, but he's real.

I think it's scheduled to come on here (UK) around 5:00 am. Finding a stream off Reddit probably isn't a bad idea. I did that for the McGregor Vs Mayweather fight and found a perfectly good stream. Some of them can be a bit choppy though. I'm tempted to wait after it's done and dusted and find a torrent.

Agree with you on Fury btw. Boxing has always been about personality and rarely anything to do with technical prowess. In that sense he's the best boxer pound for pound at the moment.

Chollis

Echo sentiments re: Fury, find him very entertaining. AJ is a fucking monster but he's booooring. Still debating waking up at 5am and trying to find a choppy stream for this...

Sony Walkman Prophecies

It's true Tyson is a bit of a wanker, but in fairness I've never seen him be disrespectful to anyone outside the ring. Wilder on the other hand thrills at intimating people unable to defend themselves. I've seen numerous interviews with him where he's practically nose to nose with the interviewer. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftiqUxhqjlM

This is why people don't like him. He's a bully and a charisma-free zone. I hope he gets knocked out, but a more realistic outcome is that he either loses on points, or loses by disqualification. One of my current theories is that Tyson will rile him up so much in the ring that he'll lose his cool and foul himself out of the contest.

monolith

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on November 30, 2018, 06:21:05 PM
It's true Tyson is a bit of a wanker, but in fairness I've never seen him be disrespectful to anyone outside the ring. Wilder on the other hand thrills at intimating people unable to defend themselves. I've seen numerous interviews with him where he's practically nose to nose with the interviewer. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftiqUxhqjlM

This is why people don't like him. He's a bully and a charisma-free zone. I hope he gets knocked out, but a more realistic outcome is that he either loses on points, or loses by disqualification. One of my current theories is that Tyson will rile him up so much in the ring that he'll lose his cool and foul himself out of the contest.
That interview is laughable though, he's so clearly trying to act like a bad man but it's very clear that it's just an act. The reporter knew that and therefore didn't flinch.

Moonshine

Anyone up and watching this?

Lost Oliver

I balls'd it up. Went to bed at half three for some reason and promised myself I'd get up at 5 (thanks Sony) but obviously didn't as I was knackered. Woke at 9 am, looked for a torrent and got an immediate spoiler. Weekend ruined.

Just about to watch it now, that knockdown worries me for any potential rematch.

monolith

I can't ever remember a heavyweight getting up from a knockdown like that. Was like Rocky.

I'd usually be gutted that he was robbed but at least with a draw he has his head held high and that absolute cockroach of a human, Billy Joe Saunders, has lost £70k because of it.

rjd2

Don't think it was the robbery that some were suggesting although Fury should have won it.

I enjoyed the fight and look forward to a re match but I really don't think either would beat Joshua, Wilder especially to raw for him. Interesting what we get next year regarding this division when you remember Usyk is floating about.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Easily the best bout I've seen this decade. No one who paid out for it can complain they were short changed. The decision was lubricious though. But this isn't the first time a British boxer has gone over to the States won a fight and come back with a draw. In many ways it was Lennox vs. Holyfield I all over again.

Frank Warren now saying if there's a rematch, it will have to be held in the UK, or at the very least somewhere in Europe. I concur.

Konki

Leaving aside the card scored for Wilder to score it a draw, as one (British) judge did, you have to give him three rounds outside of the two knockdown rounds. I just can't see how that's possible. At a push I could give Wilder the second as it was pretty quiet and Wilder was probably the busier but what other round was even close?

Really impressed with Fury. We knew he had the skills but to have that stamina after losing so much weight so quickly is incredible. Wilder should have been pushing him from the start.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Konki on December 03, 2018, 07:53:39 AM
Leaving aside the card scored for Wilder to score it a draw, as one (British) judge did, you have to give him three rounds outside of the two knockdown rounds. I just can't see how that's possible. At a push I could give Wilder the second as it was pretty quiet and Wilder was probably the busier but what other round was even close?

Other than the two 10-8 rounds (9th and 12th?), I think it's difficult to give Wilder any of the others.
A draw is never a surprise when there's a financially viable rematch to be had though.

lebowskibukowski

I have no idea what would happen in the inevitable rematch. Despite getting up at the end, Fury will be now be very, very wary of leaving himself open to another punch like that, whereas Wilder has probably felt the hardest of Fury and may have the confidence to try and walk through the Fury jab early and spark him out. For what it's worth, I don't think a draw was completely out of the realms of possibility but was a bit of a reach. For balance though, how long did the ref let Fury have to recover after the 12th round knockdown? His recovery after that was amazing but if Wilder had got to him before his head had cleared that was good night I think.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Apparently he came to relatively quickly. He decided to get up only at the very last second as the judge had told them both beforehand "I'll give you ample chance to get up, but if I see your legs wobbling I'll call off the fight". Seems plausible enough to me. Otherwise he literally got up in the nick of time.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on December 03, 2018, 11:12:42 AM
I have no idea what would happen in the inevitable rematch. Despite getting up at the end, Fury will be now be very, very wary of leaving himself open to another punch like that, whereas Wilder has probably felt the hardest of Fury and may have the confidence to try and walk through the Fury jab early and spark him out. For what it's worth, I don't think a draw was completely out of the realms of possibility but was a bit of a reach. For balance though, how long did the ref let Fury have to recover after the 12th round knockdown? His recovery after that was amazing but if Wilder had got to him before his head had cleared that was good night I think.

I could be wrong, but I somehow feel Wilder wouldn't risk the rematch. As with AJ, I get the sense it's more about protecting his pristine record than proving his worth. But you're right, now Wilder has had chance to sus him out, he could well beat him with a rematch. We'd also likely see him boxing rather than fighting, as he was last night. Would be a very difficult match to predict.

kaprisky

Sorry for bumping this but Pacquiao vs Broner appears to be on ITV4 at 2am tonight. LIVE! They had one on last week and next week they've got Keith Thurman against Lopez. All of this is on free-to-air while leading up to DeGale against Eubank Jr... which will be on ITV Box Office.

DrGreggles

Quote from: kaprisky on January 19, 2019, 09:17:02 PM
Sorry for bumping this but Pacquiao vs Broner appears to be on ITV4 at 2am tonight. LIVE! They had one on last week and next week they've got Keith Thurman against Lopez. All of this is on free-to-air while leading up to DeGale against Eubank Jr... which will be on ITV Box Office.

Great fight! Had it happened several years ago.

Broner is a massive bell end and is nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. The fight against Maidana was one of the most enjoyable I've ever seen.

Pacquiao a few years ago would have battered him, but his speed and power just isn't there any more.

Hope I'm wrong.

Konki

Quote from: kaprisky on January 19, 2019, 09:17:02 PM

I had no idea this was on ITV4, missed it but thanks for the heads up. Will try to catch Thurman v Lopez next week.

ads82

Was enjoying the fight, but the recording on my Sky Q box stopped before the end of the fight frustratingly. Does anyone want to see a a Pacquiao Mayweather rematch? I personally wish they'd both retire now.

DrGreggles

Brilliant from Manny.
Thought he may have come out too fast in the opening rounds, but he kept it up all fight and just overwhelmed Broner with jabs and body shots.
Fuck knows what Broner's tactics were. I gave him 2 rounds, and that was generous.

kaprisky

They had three undercard fights in full before the main event, and that started at 5.30am! The best bit of the broadcast was when ITV4 had to cut off Broner's expletive-ridden post-fight interview and Ronald McIntosh had to apologise for the language as per Ofcom regulations because they were outside of the watershed! That's how late it finished.

The Pacquiao vs Broner highlights is on tonight at 11.20pm. I am really surprised that this was free-to-air but apparently it was part of ITV's link up with Al Haymon/PBC. I wonder whether we will get Errol Spence against Mikey Garcia for free.

kaprisky

Sorry to bump this thread again but Errol Spence vs Mikey Garcia is on ITV4 from 2am tonight, live. Garcia is moving up from lightweight or light-welter. Both unbeaten but Spence should be favourite.

Konki

Clearly Spence was always going to have size and power over Garcia but I expected Mikey to have some advantages in speed and footwork however Spence totally outclassed him. It was a complete mismatch in the end. Very impressed with the way Spence went about his business, he was better in every department. Shame he'll probably never get to fight Crawford cos of boxing politics.

Bazooka

Joshua vs Ruiz Jr tomorrow, I really don't see Ruiz doing anything, the level of fitness between the two is not even comparable. Will be Fury next, or Wilder, either will be great bouts.

Moonshine

Ruiz putting Joshua down twice in round 3!