Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:24:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anybody here successfully replace the optical drive in their ps3?

Started by Nosjerfealis, July 09, 2016, 01:40:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog90

I haven't tried that exactly, but it shouldn't be too difficult.
I opened up a ps3 to repair the fan, unfortunately it was so flimsily put together a couple of components were wrenched out along the way. Had to get a new one fucksake, still not over it.

Anyway, the optical drive is quite easy to access, just find a YouTube video of someone tearing apart the same model as yours, it's pretty easy.
And get a compatible drive on eBay obviously.

Sivead

Yeah years ago. It's simple to do, few screws[nb]You'll need one of them star screw drivers for the one under the void sticker[/nb] and a power and ribbon cable. The pain is it has to be compatible with the model you have, you have to find what lens serial goes with what model serial and the drives are all software locked to the system they came from,  so you'll have to swap the sister board on your old one over and install it on the replacement. It's seems a bit of risk knowing if a second hand replacement drive from a eBay parts seller works, I think what I did was got a dead complete PS3 same model hoping the drive had a better chance of being good, lucky enough it was.  Mine was a old fat one don't know how different the slims are.

Is not just getting a complete second hand PS3 just as cheap as a drive now?

Nosjerfealis

Quote from: Sivead on July 09, 2016, 10:28:54 AM
Yeah years ago. It's simple to do, few screws[nb]You'll need one of them star screw drivers for the one under the void sticker[/nb] and a power and ribbon cable. The pain is it has to be compatible with the model you have, you have to find what lens serial goes with what model serial and the drives are all software locked to the system they came from,  so you'll have to swap the sister board on your old one over and install it on the replacement. It's seems a bit of risk knowing if a second hand replacement drive from a eBay parts seller works, I think what I did was got a dead complete PS3 same model hoping the drive had a better chance of being good, lucky enough it was.  Mine was a old fat one don't know how different the slims are.

Is not just getting a complete second hand PS3 just as cheap as a drive now?

The quick search I did showed drives for roughly 10-20 and a new (old used) machine for 90. Of course the drive died a few days after getting a bunch of great used games