Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:05:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

At The Drive In

Started by Twed, July 11, 2016, 01:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Nope, didn't mean to post this in Oscillations.

Went to a drive-in movie theater for the first time. Borrowed my father-in-law's truck, brought some duvets to make it all cosy, and saw a couple of movies.

It's a shame this way of seeing a film is dying out, because it's great. Cheap: $29 per car and you can bring your own food. Private. You control the sound (on-site FM transmitter sends the movie sound to your own car radio). You can talk about the movie and nobody shushes you. You don't have to hear other people's eating noises.

Solid experience, would old-timey again.

Glebe

Drive-in movie theaters? $29? What's all this crazy American stuff?

(Seriously though, I'm well jealous.)

Shaky

Quote from: Twed on July 11, 2016, 01:39:45 AM

The picture's not really selling the experience, for me.

Twed

Well, imagine it from inside that truck and in the dark.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Twed on July 11, 2016, 03:19:35 AM

Dex Sawash

The FM broadcast is a game changer. Until a few years ago, I hadn't been to a drive in since the 80s. was expecting the old shitty speaker that hangs on the window deal. The best drive ins have a bit of a swale in each row so your car is angled up toward the screen when you park.

Twed

What I really like are that there is a free car battery jumping service in case you go flat. Saw two people taking advantage of that.

Shaky

Quote from: Twed on July 11, 2016, 03:19:35 AM

What food am I eating? Have I changed into my pyjamas? Time for a piss, but inside or outside the truck?

Don't leave me hanging!

Twed

You are alone in the car park of an Asda, eating a scotch egg in a Fiesta.

Glebe

Wet Blanket

Woah woah woah! 29 Big ones?! To see a film? From inside an truck? 29 clams?! How much is it to see a film in a proper indoor cinema? 29 bucks?! Cheap?! 29 smackaroonies?!

Hat FM

how many pounds is $29 now? 500?

phantom_power

Quote from: Wet Blanket on July 11, 2016, 09:19:07 AM
Woah woah woah! 29 Big ones?! To see a film? From inside an truck? 29 clams?! How much is it to see a film in a proper indoor cinema? 29 bucks?! Cheap?! 29 smackaroonies?!

Presumably you can have more than one person in a truck, so it would be a lot cheaper than buying, say, 4 tickets for a proper indoor theatre

Bhazor

QuoteIt's a shame this way of seeing a film is dying out, because it's great. Cheap: $29 per car and you can bring your own food. Private. You control the sound (on-site FM transmitter sends the movie sound to your own car radio). You can talk about the movie and nobody shushes you. You don't have to hear other people's eating noises.

So basically all the benefits of watching a torrent at home on the telly but with the privilege of spending $30 to park there. Oh and the potential of the old people in front of you to start dogging.

Twed

Quote from: phantom_power on July 11, 2016, 11:03:58 AM
Presumably you can have more than one person in a truck, so it would be a lot cheaper than buying, say, 4 tickets for a proper indoor theatre
Yeah, you could have six people in there.

Quote from: Bhazor on July 11, 2016, 11:23:05 AM
So basically all the benefits of watching a torrent at home on the telly but with the privilege of spending $30 to park there. Oh and the potential of the old people in front of you to start dogging.
Not really. You can't watch new movies at home for a start. Plus it's fun. I mean, I wouldn't choose to go because I hate fun and going outside, but it was good to be dragged along to.

Blumf

For people stuck in the back seats, how good is the visibility? Can't be that good, maybe kids would be okay with it. Otherwise, I'd be up for a drive-in, wonder why they're dying out.

Twed

Quote from: Blumf on July 11, 2016, 01:35:56 PM
For people stuck in the back seats, how good is the visibility? Can't be that good, maybe kids would be okay with it. Otherwise, I'd be up for a drive-in, wonder why they're dying out.
Your guess is as good as mine. I bet it sucks. Most big families turned up in minivans (is that a hatchback?), parked them backwards, opened the hatches and turned them into big tents. Some people had deckchairs.

Wet Blanket

Do they have a kiosk where you can still get a beer and a £5 bag of M&Ms and that?

Twed

Yeah. Amazingly that was reasonably-priced here. You'd be a fool not to bring your own snacks though.

No beer, this is America. Come on! You could probably bring your own, although I imagine there's some law about drinking that in a parked vehicle.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Twed on July 11, 2016, 01:39:45 AM

Went to a drive-in movie theater for the first time. Borrowed my father-in-law's truck, brought some duvets to make it all cosy, and saw a couple of movies.

It's a shame this way of seeing a film is dying out, because it's great. Cheap: $29 per car and you can bring your own food. Private. You control the sound (on-site FM transmitter sends the movie sound to your own car radio). You can talk about the movie and nobody shushes you. You don't have to hear other people's eating noises.

Solid experience, would old-timey again.

Haven't been to one in a while (not having a car makes it difficult to get there), but drive-ins can be fun as long as you don't care too much about the movie you're going to see. Mindless action drivel double-bill? Sure. Latest Wes Anderson? Not so much. Also, some fucker is always shining their high beams on the screen for the first 15 minutes. Still, you can to recline your seat and gorge on sweet and sour chicken while you watch.

Dex Sawash

Was with a group to go see double feature of The Hills Have Eyes and Children of the Corn ca.1983.
I was broke so I got in the trunk boot so I wouldn't have to pay. Of course when I was locked away, they drove around a bit, bouncing over curbs kerbs and stuff. Got to the gate at the drive-in and it was $5 a car load night. Friends made me pay my share which was $1. Should cross post to desolation

kngen

Ooh, there's one only 30 or so miles from me!

QuoteNO outside food, drinks, coolers, alcohol strictly prohibited

Bollocks to you then.

Twed

Their no-fun policy will surely ensure the success of their fringe business venture.

Glebe

I think I might be pushing my luck just a tad now.

Twed

I didn't know you were there too. Got a bit tense when Rodders had to tell Space Corbett to turn his headlights off, didn't it?

Glebe

Quote from: Twed on July 13, 2016, 03:09:53 AMI didn't know you were there too. Got a bit tense when Rodders had to tell Space Corbett to turn his headlights off, didn't it?

And of course the night came to an abrupt end when... "Oh, Bobby!"