Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films considered to be shit that you enjoy

Started by Van Dammage, July 11, 2016, 06:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: mothman on July 12, 2016, 08:33:03 PM
the Eric Bana Hulk.
Oh yeah, I love that. Gamma dogs and all.

Also Pirates of the Caribbean 2: The Subtitle. I found the first one rather disappointing after all the hype that surrounded its release. Perhaps because of my lowered expectations and the anti-hype preceding it (chiefly, Mark Kermode's "legendary rants") I found the second film a lot more enjoyable - albeit a bit long-winded.

Mantle Retractor

Dune for me.

An endless source of quotes and hilarity throughout my teenage years and beyond.

A film with Patrick Stewart running into battle with a pug dog under his arm shouting 'Tuck your belly in James Corden, you fat, slovenly cunt' "Long Live Duke Leto!" couldn't possibly be shit. We're on the fringes on masterpiece level for that alone, in fact.

Great to see the love for Commando, too. Might even be my favourite Arnold vehicle. I'm laughing just thinking about that film. If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too.

Dr Rock

I will always pipe up to say Commando is one of the greatest movies ever made.

Similar to Ghost Busters 2, I regard Howard the Duck fondly thanks to its ubiquity on the telly when I was young. That said, I've not seen it in well over a decade, so it could actually be as crap as everyone always says.

Fun fact: George Lucas financed the film by selling the digital effects wing of ILM to Steve Jobs, who turned it into Pixar. Or something like that.

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 12, 2016, 04:40:28 PM
Showgirls. Hilarious black comedy. I know it's got a cult following now, but still massively misunderstood if people think it's 'so bad it's good.'

I agree with this. The film knows exactly what it is doing. The apparent tastelessness is very much Verhoven's deliberate construction. Anyone who thinks they've got one over on the film by laughing at it as if it were a drama gone wrong is really just enjoying the film the way it was intended. It's a big, garish satire in the vein of Mr. Freedom or some of the films of Frank Tashlin.

Blumf

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on July 12, 2016, 10:17:44 PM
It's a big, garish satire in the vein of Mr. Freedom or some of the films of Frank Tashlin.

Ooo, not heard of that, will jot it down.

Death Race 2000 (1975) is highly enjoyable for the hammy acting (Stallone in particular), stupid set pieces, and a particular weapon
Spoiler alert
a literal 'hand' grenade
[close]
. The 2008 remake is just okay, just.

I watched Showgirls too young to find it either comically bad or something that was playing with a form. I just found it gripping, the characters engaging and I assumed the sex scenes were what adulthood held in store for me, in movies and in life.

marquis_de_sad

Another vote for Gremlins 2. That's how you do a sequel.

Also, as Showgirls has been mentioned, a lot of people still seem to be down on Starship Troopers (especially professional film critics) even though it's brilliant.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on July 13, 2016, 02:46:29 AMI assumed the sex scenes were what adulthood held in store for me, in movies and in life.

I can't imagine your disappointment when you realised sex didn't usually resemble a shark attack.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Mantle Retractor on July 12, 2016, 08:59:25 PM
Dune for me.

An endless source of quotes and hilarity throughout my teenage years and beyond.

A film with Patrick Stewart running into battle with a pug dog under his arm shouting 'Tuck your belly in James Corden, you fat, slovenly cunt' "Long Live Duke Leto!" couldn't possibly be shit. We're on the fringes on masterpiece level for that alone, in fact.

Great to see the love for Commando, too. Might even be my favourite Arnold vehicle. I'm laughing just thinking about that film. If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too.
Dune is a good shout. It looks amazing even now. The Blu Ray is great, probably one of the best I've got. People don't like it because... I don't even know. They're thick, that's why

hewantstolurkatad

another vote for Southland Tales, everything about the thing is just odd, very difficult to tell where exactly it stops being intentionally funny.
Feel like Small Soldiers has a poor rep but I still love it.
Jingle All The Way is the funniest Arnie film, definitely helps that Phil Hartman's 3 or 4 small appearances are so great.
Still love Hook, even the shit parts that I knew were shit as a kid are kind of charmingly shit now.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 12, 2016, 09:26:19 PM
Similar to Ghost Busters 2, I regard Howard the Duck fondly thanks to its ubiquity on the telly when I was young. That said, I've not seen it in well over a decade, so it could actually be as crap as everyone always says.

Fun fact: George Lucas financed the film by selling the digital effects wing of ILM to Steve Jobs, who turned it into Pixar. Or something like that.
I'd say it's crap but undoubtedly weird, so may still have a big charm factor for people who remember it from their childhood

Puce Moment

I don't think it is any surprise that I consider Moonraker to be the best Bond film, or at least the one I most enjoy. Michael Lonsdale really is a towering, terrifying figure in that film.

I also think The Wild Geese is a fantastic ensemble piece, albeit the politics are quite dodgy (even though they try to address it with the South African character).

Oh yes, Dracula Ad 1972 - for me the best Hammer film. I know it has dated horribly, and the hip kids seem anything but, however, I have a lot of love for the repositioning of the Dracula lore into swinging London.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 13, 2016, 09:39:31 AMOh yes, Dracula Ad 1972 - for me the best Hammer film. I know it has dated horribly, and the hip kids seem anything but, however, I have a lot of love for the repositioning of the Dracula lore into swinging London.

I have a soft spot for that one too. It's got a great premise, and both Cushing and Lee are there. Unfortunately the premise is much better than the execution. The plot goes through the motions and has a lot of scenes that are basically remakes from previous Hammer Dracula films. Also, the music is dreadful. Overall not as bad as some people make out, but not that amazing either.

Blumf

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on July 13, 2016, 03:44:47 AM
Also, as Showgirls has been mentioned, a lot of people still seem to be down on Starship Troopers (especially professional film critics) even though it's brilliant.

Whilst 2 is just a so-so horror flick, Starship Troopers 3 is also pretty good, nowhere near the original, but it seems the makers understood the first film and at least aimed for the right ideas. There's some pretty good swipes at the use of religion as a means of propaganda, and the introduction of Rico's new team is delightfully silly.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: thecuriousorange on July 13, 2016, 10:35:30 AM
Batman Forever.

Has it's moments, definitely. Interesting visuals, Jim Carrey steals the show and its cartoon quality is refreshing to watch after all the DC grimness of recent years. But Tommy Lee Jones is dreadful in it and Val Kilmer is really wooden.

Another that I've not seen in ages, so could potentially be viewing through rose tinted specs - Last Action Hero. I saw it on telly, aware of its terrible reputation and remember really enjoying it.
Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on July 13, 2016, 07:42:25 AM
I'd say it's crap but undoubtedly weird, so may still have a big charm factor for people who remember it from their childhood
Plus, it had a giant scorpion monster at the end.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 13, 2016, 11:24:12 AM
Another that I've not seen in ages, so could potentially be viewing through rose tinted specs - Last Action Hero. I saw it on telly, aware of its terrible reputation and remember really enjoying it.Plus, it had a giant scorpion monster at the end.

Huh, I had no idea it had a terrible reputation, but looking at rotten tomatoes / meta critic you're not wrong. I'm really surprised too, it's obviously no classic but it's silly dumb fun and most of my friends enjoyed it as well.

hewantstolurkatad

Considering the talent on hand, I was really disappointed with the last action hero. Felt really self congratulatory but the writing really didn't deserve it.

One of the most annoying 90s kidz 90s child leads too, iirc.

BOBBY FLOWERS

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 12, 2016, 08:45:31 PM
I should say. I don't have much time for Aliens, and Alien3 is pretty decent, but Alien Resurrection was properly fun. Those underwater shots of the Alien are fantastic, and the cloned Ripleys scene is probably the most emotionally devastating scene in any Alien film.
Fuck, yes I forgot about that somehow, ignore that nonsense in my later post about the emotional human/alien hybrid. I also remember the underwater aliens looking great. I haven't seen it in a while but it was a lot more convincing than some more recent films although maybe I expect more now. The following trap was pretty tense as well. Also Ron Pearlman is always good.

Sgt. Duckie

Vice Versa starring Fred Reinhold and Judge Savage. It was called a role reversal rip off of Big but is a mainstay in my bought VHS collection. Just a jolly fine romp all round although the villains are sub-Goonies style camp. Weird too there was '18 Again" which came out at around the same time which I haven't seen.

Would like a scenario where they have to stay switched forever. Think of the sequel opportunities. "42 Again'.

monolith

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 13, 2016, 11:24:12 AM
Another that I've not seen in ages, so could potentially be viewing through rose tinted specs - Last Action Hero. I saw it on telly, aware of its terrible reputation and remember really enjoying it.Plus, it had a giant scorpion monster at the end.
I can't remember the merits of the entire film but no matter what it will always have this fake trailer which is for a film that I desperately wish existed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCVc5TaPpe8

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on July 12, 2016, 01:26:44 PM
Knowing.

Folk laugh away because Nicholas Cage vs A Load Of Numbers sounds like the sort of thing no film with the weight of a flea's pish in brains could ever be about, but no, it's properly good. Audacious, even, a man might say. Easily my favourite Alex Proyas film, although Dark City isn't far behind. The sort of thing that doesn't get produced on that scale very often. For good reason, you might think, a film about Nicholas Cage is tormented by an 8 or a 91 for fuck sake, but that's the sort of thing you could only say if you hadn't seen it, or if you made your mind up before you started watchin and then just took the piss out the thing from start to end even when there's nothin to take the piss out of.
Haha come now, Knowing is terrible, but it's terrible in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. The second half has a lady screaming "We have to think of the children!" then has Nic Cage maniacally scratching away at a door being ridiculously OTT and then the end is the biggest "WTF" of any film I can remember (
Spoiler alert
it was all Christian aliens, basically
[close]
).

I love it, the first hour is genuinely creepy with some great scenes but the 2nd half is spectacularly bad (whilst still being entertaining).

Edit: Unfortunately there aren't that many clips online but here is a minute of quite funny scenes from Knowing (none of the best ones unfortunately apart from the "Hey!" bit):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWRTMfJch-4

It works as unintentional comedy and I've seen it on multiple occasions because it's hilarious but I could never say it was "good" with a straight face.

mothman

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 13, 2016, 07:14:21 AM
Dune is a good shout. It looks amazing even now. The Blu Ray is great, probably one of the best I've got. People don't like it because... I don't even know. They're thick, that's why

I feel I need some Dune in my life. The Blu-Ray's a good'un then?

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Shameless Custard on July 12, 2016, 04:12:38 PM
Watching Commando again. Fuck me, the opening montage of him and his daughter is amazing

Always one of my favourite parts, the deer is brilliance. Another favourite moment also involved the daughter is the ending - she watches daddy brutally murder his antagonist up close, then everything's all squeals of delight after he's dispatched.

Steven

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on July 13, 2016, 07:14:21 AM

I will take the boy man, HUH!

Blumf

The worst thing about Dune is that it put Lynch off sci-fi for good. Imagine all the amazing madness he could have unleashed with something like, say, Prometheus.

Van Dammage

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1659343/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_14

Universal Soldier Day Of Reckoning is nowhere near as shite as the imdb score would have you believe.

An action film that does what it should do but attaches some strange Apocalypse now style plot onto it.

Bobby Dazzler

The Pirates films. All of them. I'm a sap who'll hoover up anything vaguely pirate-related and that's all there is to it. I'd genuinely argue in defence of them in some ways but Jesus that's not a hill I want to die on.

There's also Van Helsing, the CGI-riddled Hugh Jackman mess, which is a film that my brain cognitively recognises as terrible but I still feel compelled to watch it every time it's on telly. My favourite part is when the love interest dies and her spirit appears as a massive head in the sky like Mufasa.

I think Dracula AD 1972[nb]Apparently, this is unironically one of Tim Burton's favourite ever films, which is a bit of trivia that someone conceivably could have just made up but we both know that it wasn't.[/nb] is one of those films that some people like to overhype as a trainwreck, but then you go in with incredibly low expectations and it's not anywhere near as bad as you've been led to believe. The funky music is crackers, I don't know how anyone can't love it.