Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Suits (tv series not the garment)

Started by Jerzy Bondov, July 12, 2016, 04:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

My wife and I watched the first three series of this a while ago. It was good at first, I liked the banter they had. They were proper cheeky as well. Louis Litt was a funny chap I thought. And I fancy the secretary. As soon as they changed the end credits music from being this mad jaunty fun thing to serious piano, it went downhill. But it was still okay.

Last night we watched the first episode of series 4 and it's incomprehensible. This was a light and glossy show with big broad characters, but now you've got to take notes. Mike's going around saying 'You're not on board with my plan' and we're sat there like 'what plan?! what are you on about Mike?!'. Harvey comes in his office with a thing to sign but Mike's already signed one but I don't even know what it is. The music goes all dramatic but I don't know what they've done. Louis is running around doing something. What is it? Why's he doing it? Fuck knows.

Have I been hit on the head? Can it really be that complicated?

Also they seem to be trying to suggest that being an investment banker is as exciting as (or more exciting than) being a lawyer. Yeah right, that's why there are so investment banker dramas on TV, so many investment banker films, and airport carousels full of investment banker novels. Come off it.

And the banter has now gotten ridiculous. It's exhausting, them all constantly throwing zingers at each other. It's become too smug, and it was walking a fine line on that front from the beginning.

In short, I'm probably going to fuck it off.

Céadóg

Stopped watching this a while ago, dunno when. Maybe halfway through the third series? That sounds right. Think it was whenever Litt twigged that yer man was a phony. It just seemed to be getting really stale, the plot was ambling around going nowhere fast, and there's only so much bling and zingers that a guy can take from characters that quickly became pretty one dimensional.

Shame though, the first series was excellent, and the second very watchable. Decent premise too.

Old Thrashbarg

I've stuck with it through the five seasons so far (and season six starts tonight, so I'll probably be watching that too), but it did definitely start going downhill during the third. There's been a few too many hopeless situations, only for Mike to come up with an ingenious plan, only for it to have been anticipated by their adversary, only for someone else to come up with an ingenious plan, only for it to have been anticipated, and so on. And too many scene ending shots of Harvey looking concerned whilst ominous music plays. It's not the sort of show that's ever going to have some sort of natural conclusion to build to, so it does feel like they're treading water, throwing more and more contrived predicaments at the main characters to escalate the stakes every season.

But for all that I still find it very watchable. I do hope this is the last season though as I'm not sure I could be bothered to find the time to watch by more.

DrGreggles

It's decent enough, and Louis Litt is a great character.
Some of the plots are a bit OTT though.

The dark-haired lass is worth watching anyway.