Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:03:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"We Are The VHS Preservation Society..."

Started by TJ, November 04, 2004, 02:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kates bush

ooh.. i've got just about every episode of 'a bit of fry & laurie'  (I think i'm 1 missing, i'll have to check, but it's the one with the sketch 'spoon-bending with mr nude'), a bit of 'take over tv' , all the 'father ted' episodes not available on dvd & all sorts of other stuff.. I just need to figure out how to capture video.. anyone know if it's possible with an nvidia geforce fx 5900 ultra ? .. I know I should read the manual but i'm at work..

enough rambling.. anyone ever see that show 'this is david lander' featuring stephen fry? I wouldn't half mind seeing that again..

kates bush

someone made a comment above so just a quick note on wasting time downloading a large video only to find it's poor quality (or not what you want even) as you can't view an incomplete file just copy & paste a copy of the incomplete file after a few megs downloaded.. I know some peeps will think i'm patronizing but i'm sure a small % of peeps didn't know that.. :)

slim

Quote from: "kates bush"anyone know if it's possible with an nvidia geforce fx 5900 ultra ? .. I know I should read the manual but i'm at work..
I think it depends entirely on the manufacturer of the card, from what I just saw briefly Googling. If you find you can capture with your card and you need a hand at all, there's always this thread and some knowledgeable people around these here parts.

Hallo, by the way. It's nice here.

Eh? How have you got only one post when there are 2 posts from you in this thread? Weird!

slim

Quote from: "Banana Woofwoof"Eh? How have you got only one post when there are 2 posts from you in this thread? Weird!
Hmm. I see two in the post count here.

kates bush

damnit the magic's worn off..

it is rather nice here isn't it? :) I came by many many moons ago to d/l the blue jam .ra's but have more recently found your room on slsk which prompted a return visit..

anyway, thanks for the info, i'll look into that.

Ambient Sheep

There's a good article (free reg required, no spam) by Mark Lawson about the slow death of the VCR in today's Media Guardian.  Has a nice section in the middle about going through cupboards of old VHS tapes and what you find there.

Rats

OK, I've sorted it, eventually, still having problems with xvid synching so it's a wmv file, 480MB, perfect synch and suprisingly good quality. Here's a sample

http://www.zen26454.zen.co.uk/sample.wmv (5mb)

The cab tracker that nan set up seems to be down, are there any others I can upload the torrent to? Sorry for the long wait. TJ, PM me your address and I'll get the video sent off to you, cheers.

Rats

Just bumping this to keep it on the front page. Anyone know of a decent tracker I can upload the torrent to?

Neil

Try lokitorrent as they don't require people to sign up to download from them.

Rats

Snot letting me join, I'll try again later on, cheers

Rats

OK, fuck knows who's tracker I'm using but it seems to be working, ericsville or something. Here's the torrent, the file is 480mb

http://www.zen26454.zen.co.uk/Punt%20and%20Dennis%20-%20The%20Milky%20Milky%20Tour.wmv.torrent

Neil

Woah.  I haven't read all this thread yet but I dind't even know such a thing existed!  A mate and I went to see Punt and Dennis on that tour and it was an excellent night, I still wear my Milky Milky T-shirt and went into a real panic the other week when I couldn't find it.

slim

Quote from: "Neil"I still wear my Milky Milky T-shirt and went into a real panic the other week when I couldn't find it.
Not a dig Neil, but do I remember some comedy or other referencing Milky Milky as a pisstake on fashionable comedy catchphrases? I'm sure I do. Arrgh, it's got the tip of my tongue itching, I can't remember what it was. Anyone else know anything? At all? :)

Thanks for that Rats, I never got to see them without Newman & Baddiel, this will make interesting viewing.

BeardFaceMan

Neil

Can someone reseed Milky Milky please?  I'm getting a spectacular 1k a second.

Timmay

I'm seeding that at the mo. Let me cancel my other seeds and let that run at full speed...

slim

I've just put it back on, after a long period of 0kb up made me turn it off, but it doesn't seem to be uploading anything? I'm puzzled.

Anyway, I remembered what took the piss out of Milky Milky; it was Student Grant in Viz when the students were changing their t-shirts every week and chucking out all their Vic 'n' Bob stuff. Ahhhh, I used to love Viz back then.

Edit: updating the tracker seemed to fix it.

Neil

Cheers chaps!  Can't wait to see this to see whether it was actually a decent show, or if I just enjoyed it because of the novelty of being at a live comedy thingy.  The catchphrase stuff seemed a lot more innocent back then, when you compare it to Little Britain and Max & Paddy.

Timmay

Having watched Rob Newman live do a lot of the Milky Milky comedy back in '97, and having liked the Mary Whitehouse Experience, I thought I'd like this show. Maybe it's me, but I don't think the comedy has aged all that well - it just seemed to be Hugh Dennis pulling stupid faces and generally being the clown, and Steve Punt waffling on about something not very interesting.

Still, we all have different tastes, so you may love it.

slim

Yes, I was thinking that - how catchphrases from that era seemed to be picked up by the public and decided upon by them, rather than having them pointed to with big neon signs. It seems that deciding which lines should be catchphrases and dictating that to the audience is like telling them, "Say this and your friends will laugh with you in a conspiratory fashion at work/school tomorrow." So people do, thus proving they're not at all funny themselves.

Or maybe I'm just looking at it through rose tinted glasses and Punt & Dennis always intended "Milky Milky" to catch on and propel them to the heights of comedy fame.

Timmay

Quote from: "slim"Punt & Dennis always intended "Milky Milky" to catch on and propel them to the heights of comedy fame.
It's interesting to note that doing a Google image search for either one or the other of them, only brings up photos of the pair of them. They didn't do much else, did they.

The only thing I can recall either of them doing since, individually, is Hugh Dennis in that My Hero bag'o'shite.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "slim"Or maybe I'm just looking at it through rose tinted glasses and Punt & Dennis always intended "Milky Milky" to catch on and propel them to the heights of comedy fame.
I don't think so, I have a vague memory of Dennis in an interview saying how the character was only ever going to be a one-off, but that it got such a good reaction that they kept bringing him back.

I think it's absolutely spot-on actually, about this catchphrase business being signposted these days.  Nice observation, slim.

Neil

I've been trying to think of stuff that I did actually quote with my chums at School/College but which wasn't actually intended as a catchphrase.  For instance, "Spin The Wheel, Def Leppard" was more fun to say than "You wouldn't let it lie!" and I'm sure we repeated it more because of that.  Max & Paddy seems to be the very epitome of spoon-feeding people catchphrases in order to flog the (printed before the series has even aired) T-shirts.

Rats

I've joined in the seeding. Nobody was having it for a while there so I turned it off, I keep sticking it on for an hour now and again to see if anyones trying to get it. We used to quote obscure stuff too, the lines we thought the funniest, it was much more fun because nobody else could join in. We were very insular like that.

Purple Tentacle

Shit, I've only just looked at this thread for ages, thinking that I won't own anything rare or interesting for you lot, and I've got Milky Milky on tape!  Ha ha, sorry.

I think it's total shit. That's my incisive comedy analysis.

slim

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"I think it's absolutely spot-on actually, about this catchphrase business being signposted these days.  Nice observation, slim.
I'm printing that and framing it :)

I'm not sure if it was an intentional catchphrase for the public, but my friends and I used to quote Graham Lister the most, particularly his bilesome tirades against Reeves, the "workshy fop".

Purple Tentacle

My dad has literally  just told me he's got Absolutely The Vido!!

Beagle 2

The most quoted R&M bit in our school was "Coxy yer fat bastard!". Seems like pretty much everything they did was playground-quoteable.