Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:18:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Frank Skinner On Demand

Started by marquis_de_sad, July 16, 2016, 07:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marquis_de_sad

Anyone watching this? Frank Skinner sits down with a guest who chooses three programmes from the BBC iplayer archive. Quite a laid back show, but often worth a watch. The latest one with Diane Morgan was good.

neardark

Yeah. When there's a good guest I really enjoy it. When it's a bad guest I usually turn it off halfway through.

Examples:

Good: Diane Morgan
Bad: Chris Ramsey

Mango Chimes

I dip in and out. For a brusingly cheap Frank-Skinner-made-some-failed-investments BBC advertorial, it's actually quite watchable.

Brundle-Fly

I like this show. As an interviewer, I really admire Skinner's refreshing frankness honesty, if he doesn't rate the guest's recommendations.  The Frankie Boyle episode was revelatory.

neardark

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 16, 2016, 11:21:15 PM
I like this show. As an interviewer, I really admire Skinner's refreshing frankness honesty, if he doesn't rate the guest's recommendations.  The Frankie Boyle episode was revelatory.

He's a really good interviewer. That chatshow he had years ago had some really interesting interviews for this reason. About a million times better than the advertising treadmill that is the Graham Norton show etc.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 16, 2016, 11:21:15 PM

I watched that just now and feel the same. I was amazed at how softly spoken and considerate Boyle was in it, and the discussions on the shows were pretty fascinating, especially the homeless documentary where they were able to carefully criticise it despite admiring the majority of it.

The Alex Horne one's online via iplayer at the moment and is also a bit of a gem, covering on an old Wogan Christmas special, Fleabag and a Tomorrow's World from 1987. I love how relaxed and gentle the format is, it's a shame it's iplayer only.

Puce Moment

I'm a big fan of this show - and will even watch the episodes with a shitty or annoying guest.

The Alex Horne episode is fantastic, and actually proves that there is a television show format waiting to happen because I could quite happily have listened to them discussing episodes of Wogan for half an hour, or indeed any chat show appearances.

Andy147

It's basically the same format as "TV Heaven, Telly Hell" from a few years back.

(Edit: Not saying that's a bad thing, just that it wouldn't be totally new. Maybe Frank Skinner's better suited to the format than Sean Lock was?)

Puce Moment

How is it the same format? Most of the choices by the guests are contemporary - usually shows that have gone up in the same week as the interview takes place, fulfilling the remit of being on iPlayer. It also includes their favourite shows or programmes that have impressed them. Who has picked shows they don't like?

marquis_de_sad

It's like TV Heaven, Telly Hell in that it's about TV programmes. And in no other way.

Andy147

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 15, 2016, 04:16:25 PM
How is it the same format? Most of the choices by the guests are contemporary - usually shows that have gone up in the same week as the interview takes place, fulfilling the remit of being on iPlayer.

Is that right? I've only seen the Alex Horne and Ross Noble episodes, and they each had one recent pick and two from the 60s/70s/80s. TV Heaven Telly Hell had some contemporary picks as well (e.g. David Mitchell picked "Judge John Deed" and "The Heaven and Earth Show"). Maybe they aren't typical episodes, but Skinner and Noble talking about "Quizball" was very reminiscent of Sean Lock and Lee Mack talking about "Indoor League", for instance.

Quote from: Puce Moment on October 15, 2016, 04:16:25 PM
It also includes their favourite shows or programmes that have impressed them. Who has picked shows they don't like?

Yes, that's certainly different, and could be a change for the better.

I think another difference now I come to think about it is that the FSOD choices are more specific (which also fits in with it being "stuff they've just seen on iPlayer").

How about "It's kind of a similar format", then? They're both "comedian host talks to famous guest about a set of TV shows/clips as chosen by the guest".

Brundle-Fly

The Reginald.D.Hunter episode was excellent.

I wish BBC IPlayer didn't take them down so soon after transmission. I always watch them when I have me tea. Perfect TV dinner viewing.

Could do without the ukelele theme tune though. Funtime Frankie 'doing a Dennis Waterman' there no doubt.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on October 15, 2016, 05:23:25 PM
The Reginald.D.Hunter episode was excellent.

I wish BBC IPlayer didn't take them down so soon after transmission. I always watch them when I have me tea. Perfect TV dinner viewing.

Could do without the ukelele theme tune though. Funtime Frankie 'doing a Dennis Waterman' there no doubt.

This guy has uploaded some (along with other excellent shows) - http://www.dailymotion.com/user/couchtripper/1 - he's been a bit quiet for the last couple of months but I'm hoping he'll be back soon.

Edit: Ah, just the Frankie Boyle one seemingly. But anyway, do a google video search for the show and a fair few turn up, and there's some poorly seeded ones on the pirate bay too.

RenegadeScrew

There are a few on vodlocker and the like - http://web-multiple-search-engines.com/movies.php

Although not the Boyle one it seems.

Brundle-Fly

And so it's come to an end. Last ever show on IPlayer now. Best chatshow on telly.

What am I going watch with my Friday evening fish supper now?

Small Man Big Horse

That's shit news, I mean it can't cost much to make. And the last one is with Olly Murs. It's like the beeb wants us to hate them or something.

Brundle-Fly

And even this Olly Murs show was fun to watch. He seems like a big jolly baby.

Small Man Big Horse

In case anyone's interested, someone's just uploaded a sod load of this and you can get hold of them via Reddit's NotAPanelShow subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/notapanelshow/comments/atucm3/request_frank_skinner_on_demand_bbc_iplayer_chat/

Travis B

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 01, 2019, 04:19:33 PM
In case anyone's interested, someone's just uploaded a sod load of this and you can get hold of them via Reddit's NotAPanelShow subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/notapanelshow/comments/atucm3/request_frank_skinner_on_demand_bbc_iplayer_chat/

Fantastic, thanks for that.

up_the_hampipe

I think Frank Skinner should be our Letterman. He has the chops for it. Maybe his original chat show didn't demonstrate that, but he seems a lot more comfortable in his own skin now.

DrGreggles

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 01, 2019, 11:45:11 PM
I think Frank Skinner should be our Letterman. He has the chops for it. Maybe his original chat show didn't demonstrate that, but he seems a lot more comfortable in his own skin now.

I used to like his chat show - particularly when it wasn't with celeb guests.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 01, 2019, 11:50:58 PM
I used to like his chat show - particularly when it wasn't with celeb guests.

I did too, it could just be a bit awkward at times. I think he'd be able to shake that off now.

Bennett Brauer

You don't think there's something a bit too prickly and controlling about him?

I mean, I'm a fan, and I think he's an intelligent interviewer with the right subject, but he couldn't sustain a 5-nights-a-week show.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on March 02, 2019, 01:39:40 AM
You don't think there's something a bit too prickly and controlling about him?

I mean, I'm a fan, and I think he's an intelligent interviewer with the right subject, but he couldn't sustain a 5-nights-a-week show.

Well, Letterman wasn't exactly a walk in the park.

rasta-spouse

Skinner's recently said that he regrets how his early interviews revolved around him making endless jokes rather than concentrating on the guest (at one point leading to a sternly-worded letter from Gene Wilder). But I think those interviews are pretty good, and his Britney Spears interview strikes a really great balance between funny and interesting. So much better than J Ross chat stuff.

I don't think he could do a chat show now. His quality control has gone and (as he admits himself) he's become a bit of an arse. Still, watch the old Tara-Palmer Tompkinson show now and then - that was must see tv.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on March 02, 2019, 02:03:54 AM
Well, Letterman wasn't exactly a walk in the park.

True. On the face of it he was pretty weird and not an obvious choice for a glad-handing chat show, but he was backed by a team of creative talent and crack writers. Skinner doesn't strike me as someone who would happily yield to a team of writers for 20-odd shows a month.

And the winner of Hypothetical Point of the Year is...

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 06, 2016, 05:30:53 PM
That's shit news, I mean it can't cost much to make.

Well, they have to pay Frank.