Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:28:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spode

Quote from: bigfatheart on July 02, 2019, 06:43:08 AM
Saw James Acaster last night. Old news since he's been touring the show for a while, but I thought it was great, especially the second half, which touches on the more personal themes and which I found pretty cathartic in places. Interesting and disappointing that there were a couple of hecklers who chose to pipe up at the worst possible points, something that, judging by his response, has been pretty common recently. Good to hear Ricky Gervais get a kicking for his transphobic material, although it shows how much this forum has affected my brain that when he was initially being coy about the stand-up whose material he was referring to, all I could think was "...Graham Linehan doesn't do any stand-up, does he?"

I saw him the night before in Liverpool and it was something else. I'm pretty sure I've only seen half the show because he seemed to make his mind up pretty early that a lot of the crowd weren't going to take to him and he seemed to come off the routine. He did about 20 minutes in the second half on people leaving to go and watch The Eagles in the arena next door.

I Know he opens with all the 'I hate old people and don't want them to watch me anymore' but he definitely seemed to decide after 20 minutes he was going to just amuse himself for the entirety of the show. All 3 hours of it. Be interested to hear what he actually thought of it because he really seemed to be getting a kick out of it

I was in Edinburgh for work last week so went to a mixed bill show at the Stand. A good night in the best room for comedy there is. Amy Matthews stood out from the rest (although Rob Deering headlined and - much to my surprise - was excellent) - she did 10 minutes of Acaster and Pascoe-influenced whimsy, but with enough of a unique voice to suggest that she could be one to watch.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on July 02, 2019, 09:27:37 PM
Rob Deering headlined and - much to my surprise - was excellent

Just out of interest, why was that a surprise?
Always been good value when I've seen him. He's not ground-breaking or anything, but he doesn't try to be.
His Beat This show is great fun and a late night favourite of mine at the Fringe.

My opinion of him was based entirely, and completely unfairly, on a laddy Channel 5 programme he was on 15 years ago. But yeah, he was good on Thursday. A really tight 20 minutes.

Beat This sounds fun! I might go along if it's at Mach again next year.

Quote from: Spode on July 02, 2019, 06:56:49 PM
I saw him [James Acaster] the night before in Liverpool and it was something else. I'm pretty sure I've only seen half the show because he seemed to make his mind up pretty early that a lot of the crowd weren't going to take to him and he seemed to come off the routine. He did about 20 minutes in the second half on people leaving to go and watch The Eagles in the arena next door.

I Know he opens with all the 'I hate old people and don't want them to watch me anymore' but he definitely seemed to decide after 20 minutes he was going to just amuse himself for the entirety of the show. All 3 hours of it. Be interested to hear what he actually thought of it because he really seemed to be getting a kick out of it

I saw him in Newcastle doing the same show a few weeks ago and he cut out about 30 minutes from the first half because of audience interruptions, hecklers, and punters making a big deal about going for a piss in a theatre room.  Still really funny (and makes me want to see the show again to see what I've missed), but I do wonder if there's some kind of meeting that I wasn't in on where it was agreed that some audience members would act the tit during his shows.

DrGreggles

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on July 03, 2019, 02:18:10 PM
I saw him in Newcastle doing the same show a few weeks ago and he cut out about 30 minutes from the first half because of audience interruptions, hecklers, and punters making a big deal about going for a piss in a theatre room.  Still really funny (and makes me want to see the show again to see what I've missed), but I do wonder if there's some kind of meeting that I wasn't in on where it was agreed that some audience members would act the tit during his shows.

Weekend gig by any chance?

Small Man Big Horse

Jordan Brookes - I've Got Nothing - I feel a bit mean here as this is a really great show which made me laugh throughout, but after Bleed I can't help but feel a bit disappointed by it as it's stripped back fairly normal stand up, at least compared to his previous work. It's definitely worth seeing and he's still a comedian I like an awful lot, I guess I was just hoping for something as innovative as his previous show and didn't get it.

Small Man Big Horse

Dope Comedy - A night of Australian comedians at the Backyard Comedy Club, all were pretty great really. It was MC'd by Daniel Muggleton whose material I liked a lot, his crowd work was strong and he actually seemed interested in what the audience had to say, while his stand up was really funny in general too. Thomas Green was the first act on after that, there was the odd dodgy joke (including a weak bit about vegans) but in general he made me laugh a lot, and he had decent bits on the times he was a teacher and why he likes living in the UK as none of the animals / insects here try to kill him. Then Brodi Snook followed who I also liked an awful lot, she had some great routines about where she grew up, how not to be attacked on the streets, and even her bits on online dating made me laugh. Finally Grant Busé headlined who I was also really fond of, he's a musical comedian but that's my cup of tea in general and the songs were genuinely funny, with his ending on a reworded version of Hallelujah attacking people who covered it being fantastic stuff.

I also learnt that in Australia they call playground slides "Slippery Dips", which I think we should adopt this very second.

peanutbutter

Daniel Kitson - Regent's Park show
Sweet little show, initially felt like he was struggling a bit with the bigger open air audience to keep momentum from the audience but the Gavin Osborn songs worked really well to alleviate that with their tweeness. Not stuff I'd listen to by itself but suited the show pretty well and gave everything a nice casual mood, plus there's honestly something relieving about a Kitson show where you can go out for a piss without the guarantee that you'll have to explain yourself (I could swear the last few times I saw him in Angel that the audience got really tense near the end uniformly just bursting for a piss).
He does seem to be digging deeper and deeper into the fragmented list based type stuff (coupled with a weird telephone obsession?) and I wonder if it's just an impact of knowing his audience is going to just go with it. 66A and It's the Fireworks Talking increasingly feel like his peak to me in terms of wholly fulfilling shows that flow well.

Liked the show a lot, mind, it was really lovely and I think it would've been an utterly fantastic date night for a couple that's been together a while and both like the guy (there were a lot of couples cuddling in the evening cold in my area) but there's something a bit underwhelming about a guy whose best works were amongst the most resonant on stage work I've seen/heard in my life settling into being... I dunno... like some Ivor Cutler esque eccentric who does his thing and digs deeper and deeper into that thing.
This is really more a criticism of the last long patch of his career than last nights show, for who he is now and what he does, last night was lovely, if the venue was maybe half the size and it was a bit darker it would've been perfect.

Small Man Big Horse

Just thought I'd mention that Natalie Palamides' Nate is back at the Soho Theatre this week, and I'd implore people to go and see it if they haven't already, it was easily the best show I saw last year.

Loved Nate, glad I got the chance to see it again tonight. Fully agreed on it being the best show I saw last year, by miles and miles

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on July 10, 2019, 11:22:39 PM
Loved Nate, glad I got the chance to see it again tonight. Fully agreed on it being the best show I saw last year, by miles and miles

I really want to see it again too but have so much comedy booked up at the moment that I'm a bit shattered and need some time out. I still might go if I find the energy though.

Crabwalk

Hello stand-up comedy experts. I'm off to Latitude tomorrow and there are loads of comedians on. Would you do a bro a solid and tell me if there's anyone unmissable here please?

I know and have varying levels of interest in the big names, and have heard good things about the likes of Matt Ewins, Tez Ilyas and Olga Koch. But anyone tucked away in there that you've seen and loved?

Any recommendations appreciated and I promise to report back on anyone I see.

DrGreggles

Crabwalk

The description sounded great when I looked them up before so I had them on my possibles list. Thanks Greggles.

Tony Tony Tony

I saw the musical duo Flo and Joan recently as part of the bill at a charity gig. On the surface they seem a tad twee and whimsical (You might have seen the Nationwide Building Society ads they did a while ago) but they actually get quite bitingly sharp as the act progresses.

Unless it means missing out on a must see I would give them a go.

Small Man Big Horse

I'd recommend Rachel Parris if you're fond of musical comedy, Nick Helm and Lou Sanders are also a lot of bizarre fun, and I know a lot of people rate Tom Parry, though I struggle with him because he's so shit in Pappy's.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 17, 2019, 07:56:24 PM
I know a lot of people rate Tom Parry, though I struggle with him because he's so shit in Pappy's.

I thought the same, but then I saw a solo WIP show and he's really good.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on July 17, 2019, 08:24:45 PM
I thought the same, but then I saw a solo WIP show and he's really good.

I might have to try and catch him before Edinburgh when ticket's are still cheap, though I've already got 7 gigs booked up over the next 11 days so might struggle to find the time.

Crabwalk

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. Very useful.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 17, 2019, 10:10:30 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations so far. Very useful.

I know you've already mentioned her but I'd definitely go and see Olga Koch, I caught her Edinburgh preview last month and was impressed, it was a really tight hour of comedy and that was with six weeks to go before the festival.

DrGreggles

Saw previews of Moon and Rachel Fairburn tonight.

Moon is excellent. If you liked their last show you'll love this.

Rachel's is really funny, but needs a bit more work in terms of structure (and learning it!). She admitted as much, but there's a lot of good stuff already and I can see it being a great show when it reaches Edinburgh.

Small Man Big Horse

Milo Edwards - Pindos - A pretty fascinating show about how Milo spent three years in Russia, and kind of accidentally became famous over there. If I've any complaint it's that he packs a bit too much in to it the hour and certain ideas and stories would have benefited from being expanded upon, but I enjoyed it a lot and was very fond of it overall.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 17, 2019, 11:57:48 PM
Saw previews of Moon and Rachel Fairburn tonight.

Moon is excellent. If you liked their last show you'll love this.

Good to hear - seeing them in the first week of the Fringe.

Small Man Big Horse

Archie Henderson - Jazz Emu - Was pleasantly surprised at just how great this was, it's musical comedy but there's a mixture of full length songs, short bursts of tunes, stand up and general silliness that I enjoyed an awful lot, and the rest of the audience seemed to absolutely love it too.

Small Man Big Horse

Yasmine Day - An Audience With Yasmine Day - A gloriously silly show as this oddly young looking Eighties superstar goes back on tour and sings a great selection of original songs along with her unique takes on classic tracks (such as a version of Eternal Flame where she only sings the vowels) while also telling anecdotes from her career like the time she saw Madonna and smeared ketchup all over her limousine. I really enjoyed this, it's inventive, unpredictable, and good clean fun.

Flora Anderson - Romantic - Unfortunately this was just a bit shit. A young woman wonders if she's entitled or a romantic, like Byron and Keats were, but unfortunately it's the former. She might get better over time and she has the odd funny line or idea but this was borderline open mic stuff imho, and a few times I had to resist the urge to audibly sigh at some of her more patronising comments.

I've just seen Alun Cochrane's WIP show and he's trying to be edgy and a bit non-PC. Trying hard.

I wasn't expecting to wet my kecks but it was odd to see someone I thought of as inoffensive prefacing bits with "some people won't like this but... What about them Muslims/fat people/special Olympics"

Never nasty but it still took me by surprise

Saw Glenn Moore last night, the hour of gags and puns is not usually the sort of thing I go for but I did like the show a lot