Author Topic: The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread  (Read 20606 times)

Re: The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread
« Reply #240 on: August 30, 2019, 11:06:04 PM »
The Other Side of Hope - 8/10  - Very good, touching movie. I wish it would have went on a little longer, because it was good, but also for resolve.
Lights in the Dusk - 6.5/10 - Kaurismaki usually has a positive to all the conflict, so this was quite a departure, and hence, probably my least favorite drama out of the 15 I've seen of his.
Le Havre - 7.5/10 - I wish there was more connecting, between Marcel/wife, and Marcel/Idrissa, but I loved the inner warmth, and the warmth to those around them, even if it wasn't "professional" (I hate that word so much - which is usually a euphemism and an excuse to be "do-nothing" type of person)
Man Without A Past - 7.5/10
Drifting Clouds - 7.5/10

« Reply #241 on: September 02, 2019, 01:40:45 PM »
Heads up for any fellow 'Bridgers:
https://www.junction.co.uk/jordan-brookes

« Reply #242 on: September 03, 2019, 01:13:15 PM »
Saw Jordan Brookes at Soho Theatre last night, was great and not probably not even his best show. Ended up thinking about the first time I saw him solo in 2015 at the Museum of Comedy and mentioned the person from Soho he gave comps to hadn't turned up, now he's selling out the main room as Perrier winner, cool.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #243 on: September 10, 2019, 02:57:07 PM »
Courtney Pauroso - Gutterplum - Another bit of insane clowning which was produced by Dr Brown, some have criticised it for not having as much depth as Natalie Palamides' Nate but I think that's a bit unfair, yes it's not as complex (or quite as good) but it's still a beautifully funny hour of comedy and one that made me laugh a huge amount.

« Reply #244 on: September 11, 2019, 03:39:41 PM »
Not "stand up" really. But saw Brydon, Mack and Mitchell last night. Was as good as expected.

Perhaps not quite perfect due to this being their first night and them needing to find their feet. Some of the elements from the first half felt a little rehearsed and bog standard jokes, but once it got going into the audience participation and dilemma solving, the comedy really upped a notch. Brydon was a nice, if not typical host type as usual, Mack was his funny and witty self and easily the stand out for me, while Mitchell had a few angry outbursts, or corrected the other two.

Overall very funny!

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #245 on: September 12, 2019, 02:39:36 PM »
I went to a mixed bill last night where the following performed:

James Dowdeswell - Who may just be the worst MC I've ever seen, all he did was ask people what jobs they did, but then responded with "That sound interesting" or "That sounds alright", he mistook a guy with a long hair in the front row for a woman and then kept on going on and on about how funny that was, and then had material about his rescue dog which didn't even have a punch line, it was just a story about a man who now has a dog. I always try to laugh if I can but I didn't once, and by the end was actively glaring at him.

Glenn Moore - I've slagged him off a fair bit in the past but was actually pretty impressed, his gag rate is high and though the odd pun is weak a lot of his material made me laugh.

Stella Graham - Not bad, not great, but some of her material was amusing.

Dave Bibby - Who appears to be the "LadBible" website personified. One song set to the Only Fools And Horses theme was horrendous, but a character who phones up a Man Utd themed sex line made me laugh a few times, and then he ended his set with a quiz involving two members of the audience where all the answers were "Banter" related, ie "Banter Claus", or "The Archbishop of Banterbury". So kind of terrible, but the audience members made it funnier than it had any right to be.

Ivo Graham - Really impressive. This was the first time I saw him and even though he did 10 minutes of new material at the start (while commenting on what a poor decision this was) he made me laugh a great deal, and his prepared stuff about his new daughter and how he went to Eton was really great, and I definitely plan to see him again.

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #246 on: September 16, 2019, 11:02:03 PM »
Off Book - A live podcast recording, they put together an improvised musical each episode and I thought it was bloody superb stuff, and far better than the majority of scripted musicals.

Michael Legge - The Idiot - His latest Edinburgh show, it's an angry rant that made me laugh hard throughout and received a lot of applause as well, for me this was easily his best work yet and a 4 and a half star show.

Tony Law and Phil Nichol: Virtue Chamber Echo - In which Law and Nichol piss about on stage for an hour, sometimes singing, sometimes rambling away, at times it was inspired yet at other points it wasn't, I'm really fond of both comedians but this was a show I just quite liked rather than loved.