Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:29:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The new "What Stand Up Have You Seen Lately?" thread

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 16, 2016, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenjwz

Quote from: rasta-spouse on November 05, 2019, 08:25:40 PM
I like Tony Law, but I'm really surprised GFS have put up several recent shows where he is rambling and incoherent. They're a tough watch compared to his early work.

What's the Tony Law podcast people speak of? Any chance of an rss link?

https://rss.acast.com/tonylawtapes is the one I was thinking of - it has it's moments
but in searching for it seems like he's done another? https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/rc6xr-9a8f2/Tony-Law-Podcast so will try that myself

Small Man Big Horse

Meelagoola - Generation Whyyy? - An hour of three Millennials performing sketches about how shit, lazy and indecisive Millennials are. It started off reasonably strongly and some of the sketches were strong, with one about a teacher going on about how amazing Love Island and emoji's are to her students making me laugh a lot, but it started to run out of steam around the half way point and by the end I was struggling a bit, while the three comedians are accomplished actors and decent writers they need to be a bit more varied if they're going to ever be something special.

Small Man Big Horse

Werewolf: Live - A sort of game show thing which involves seven comedians (who tonight were Jordan Brookes, Harriet Kemsley, Bobby Mair, Allison Spittle, Tez Ilyas, Alex Edelman and Elf Lyons) and hosted by Jon Gracey, where five of the comedians are innocent villagers and two of them werewolves (chosen at random) and they have to work out who the werewolves are before they're killed off. Which I've described badly but hopefully you get the gist, with three rounds of the game being played in total, and what it amounted to was a lot of shouting and arguing, some of which was very funny, some of which was a bit annoying. Mair, Kemsley, Ilyas and Brookes were the highlights of the night (though the latter didn't get the chance to interject as often as I'd hoped due to being killed off early in the first two rounds), while Spittle, Lyons and Edelman weren't bad, just nothing that special. It's obviously going to depend on who the comedians are as to how good it is, and I kind of felt it only really got going half way through the second round with everyone a bit subdued in the first, and though I enjoyed it a fair amount but it wasn't something I fell in love with.

MortSahlFan

Louis Black's recent one. It wasn't very good. I remember "In god We Rust" being pretty good, and when I saw him live, he was alright.

Jockice

I saw my first stand-up show for yonks last night. Jo Caulfield, Archie Kelly and Christian Reilly with Anthony J Brown hosting.

It was an event called Dry Wit, with no alcohol on sale. Which was fine by me as I hardly ever drink and the friend I went with is a good Muslim girl who has NEVER touched the stuff in her life. These people do exist you know.

Although the heating in the venue wasn't working so we were all clad in our coats, we really enjoyed it. But it's been a couple of years since I saw any stand-up so has anyone here got any thoughts on these performers? Just to see if my opinions have been influenced by my recent lack of experience.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Jockice on November 20, 2019, 09:51:41 PM
I saw my first stand-up show for yonks last night. Jo Caulfield, Archie Kelly and Christian Reilly with Anthony J Brown hosting.

It was an event called Dry Wit, with no alcohol on sale. Which was fine by me as I hardly ever drink and the friend I went with is a good Muslim girl who has NEVER touched the stuff in her life. These people do exist you know.

Although the heating in the venue wasn't working so we were all clad in our coats, we really enjoyed it. But it's been a couple of years since I saw any stand-up so has anyone here got any thoughts on these performers? Just to see if my opinions have been influenced by my recent lack of experience.

When I see live stand-up, I like when they don't serve alcohol. Drunk idiots want to be the show..

I know a few people who have never touched alcohol (and not religious).. I don't drink (anymore)

Jockice

Quote from: MortSahlFan on November 20, 2019, 10:27:38 PM
When I see live stand-up, I like when they don't serve alcohol. Drunk idiots want to be the show..

I know a few people who have never touched alcohol (and not religious).. I don't drink (anymore)

I bet the acts love it though. They have the mic and no doubt a ready stream of retorts to hecklers. I've only seen it go wrong once when Arnold Brown supported Yazoo (of all people) in the early 80s to a set greeted with almost total silence except when he told one joke and a member of the audience shouted out a better punchline and got the only real laugh of the night.

**** (and her husband I presume) are the only people I know that I can think of who have never even had a single drink. I do have another female Muslim friend of around the same age (late 40s) who does drink and I'm the only one of my friendship group who doesn't but that's due to my very low tolerance level and not particularly liking the taste rather than any great moral or religious crusade. I'll usually have about three or four pints/g&ts/white wines over the course of the year but that's it. Ten years since I last got pissed enough to have a hangover.

That's apart from the period when I went on the piss a couple of months ago after falling out with my girlfriend. I bought two four-packs of lager you know and drank at home on my own. For a few days. I still have three cans in the fridge.

DrGreggles

Cambridgers may wish to learn that the Corn Exchange have just released another 20 or so tickets for James Acaster tomorrow night:
https://www.cambridgelive.org.uk/cornex/events/james-acaster-cold-lasagne-hate-myself-1999

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Jockice on November 21, 2019, 07:49:29 AM
I bet the acts love it though. They have the mic and no doubt a ready stream of retorts to hecklers. I've only seen it go wrong once when Arnold Brown supported Yazoo (of all people) in the early 80s to a set greeted with almost total silence except when he told one joke and a member of the audience shouted out a better punchline and got the only real laugh of the night.

I think most comedians really don't like hecklers, even if they've material prepared to deal with them, as it upsets the flow of the show. Obviously some comics thrive on heckling / audience participation, but I'd say they were in the minority. Or at least the minority worth actually seeing.

rasta-spouse

Did I read somewhere that Acaster has recorded Cold Lasagne for broadcast or did I imagine it?

The article/twitter post I think I read (yes, I'm sketchy) mentioned that he had come up with an additional 2hrs of material while touring that show and recorded that also. Which suggests another Netflix trilogy.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: rasta-spouse on November 21, 2019, 04:59:49 PM
Did I read somewhere that Acaster has recorded Cold Lasagne for broadcast or did I imagine it?

The article/twitter post I think I read (yes, I'm sketchy) mentioned that he had come up with an additional 2hrs of material while touring that show and recorded that also. Which suggests another Netflix trilogy.

I've found this story about a recent recording: https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/01/30/42180/james_acaster_records_another_special and given that he's recorded everything else I'm sure it'll turn up on Netflix at some point or other.

rasta-spouse

This is good news, I suppose it'll go out when he finishes his tour. I've seen Acaster live the last three times, but an overdose of his so-so tv stuff made me categorise him in with the rest of his gang Widdecombe/Nish/Gamble when in reality his s/up is lightyears ahead of his peers.

I also noticed he wasn't nominated for the Edinburgh award this year, I wonder if he is no longer eligible or they've teased him with it for so long he's no longer bothered.

DrGreggles

rasta-spouse

That explains it! But are there rules on the amount of tv you can do and eligibility for the award?

DrGreggles

To be honest, the rules seem to be pretty flexible based on whoever is being hyped that particular year.

Small Man Big Horse

The Dollop - A history based podcast from Dave Anthony and Gareth Reynolds, last night Rob Delaney was their special guest as Dave told the quite frankly insane story of a woman who gave birth to bits of rabbits and cats in the 18th century, it was a lot of fun in general and a show which made me a laugh a great deal.

Small Man Big Horse

I had another really great night out at Quantum Leopard last night, Rachel Parris headlined and was fantastic in general, we only got one song sadly (because I love her musical comedy a huge amount) but her set was still fantastic and she had some great material about married life. David McIver was also very, very funny, doing a bit of character comedy most of the time, I'd seen his show before so knew some of the material but still enjoyed it. Andrea Hubert was really impressive too, I saw her a few years back and had mixed feelings but she's come on leaps and bounds and she manages to pull off some quite dark material effectively, and Gabby Best was also superb, she's fast becoming one of my favourite comedians and if you get the chance to see her I'd definitely recommend it. Finally Jake Farrell also did a strong set, and all of the five open mic'er's were good too, it really was one of the best mixed bills I've been too.

Perplexicon

Went to see that Hannah Gadsby doing her new show. Went in wondering 'what can you possibly do under the shadow of Nanette?' and uh, I guess the answer is be fucking furiously funny for an hour and a half. Actually breathtaking to behold.     

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Perplexicon on November 25, 2019, 09:31:04 PM
Went to see that Hannah Gadsby doing her new show. Went in wondering 'what can you possibly do under the shadow of Nanette?' and uh, I guess the answer is be fucking furiously funny for an hour and a half. Actually breathtaking to behold.   

That's good to hear,I  have to admit I haven't seen any reviews of the show somewhat oddly (at least compared to Nanette where you couldn't escape them) so I'm pleased to hear it's a great show.

This Is Your Trial - From the guy behind the "Comedy Auction" show that I reviewed a while back, this saw Thom Tuck as a judge, Ed Coleman as a prosecutor and Sarah Bennetto as the defence, with the set up being that members of the audience write down the issues they have with their friends / family beforehand and then a few are selected to be the focus of a court case. I really liked this, it was slightly pantomime-esque at times but all of the comedians involved (which changes with each show, though I gather Thom Tuck does a lot of them) were on great form, and I'd definitely go and see this again.

Noddy Tomkey

Isn't that the idea behind Pappy's' Beef Brothers, in their Slamdowns?

Who came first, hmm?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on December 01, 2019, 02:26:45 AM
Isn't that the idea behind Pappy's' Beef Brothers, in their Slamdowns?

Who came first, hmm?

It's been going since 2011 apparently, but I don't know when Pappy's started doing their thing.

DrGreggles

It's been part of Flat Slam since it started (2011?), but I believe it pre-dates that by a year or two as it was part of one of their failed pilots before they did podcasts.

Small Man Big Horse

Spencer Jones - The Things We Leave Behind - Just fantastic, a mad hour which is a mixture of prop comedy, music, ridiculous silliness and even the occasional thoughtful bit of commentary, I've always been a big fan of his but this is my favourite show of his yet.

Small Man Big Horse

The Hyde Park Winter Wonderland Comedy Club - Because I was given two free tickets by a lovely PR person, though unfortunately the night itself was all over the place. Emmanuel Sonubi was the MC and all kinds of horrible, making shitty jokes about an audience member with ginger hair and picking on another guy for no good reason at all, he was so bad that I plan to actively avoid him in the future. Micky P Kerr then did about 15 minutes, when doing his original songs it was amusing enough (though I was pretty drunk at this point) but when he did a routine about famous songs you can't quite understand it went off the boil, being not only factually inaccurate but just not funny at all. The Lost Voice Guy headlined, who was okay I guess, he had some decent jokes at the beginning of his set, but then a fair few bad ones too, or very, very average at least. This is what I imagine a night at Jongleurs would have been like, or a really shitty chain comedy chain elsewhere, and though it only lasted 45 minutes (which if I'd paid for a ticket I'd have been ridiculously outraged) as it was I was glad it ended when it did. I've not written the review yet, but when it goes online tomorrow I think that'll be the end of the relationship I have with that PR company!

Small Man Big Horse

Quantum Leopard - Another great mixed bill night, headlined by Bec Hill who really impressed, I'd not seen her before but she made me laugh a huge amount. Perhaps it could be said that it's a bit lazy concept wise (it's kind of a misheard lyrics thing, where she shows various pictures as songs play) but I was still very fond of it. Also performing were Sunil Patel who I hadn't seen in years but who has come on leaps and bounds since the last time I caught him and is an excellent comic now, Steffan Alun and Yuriko Kotani were both fine, nothing amazing but very likeable, and only,Elly Shaw was a bit average.

ACMS of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Panto - Thom Tuck, John-Luke Roberts, Eleanor Morton, Siân Docksey, John Robertson, Joz Norris, Alice Fraser, and various other members of the Alternative Comedy Memorial Society put on a comedy version of The Fellowship Of The Rings written by Tuck and his Penny Dreadfuls cohort David Reed back in 2002. Everyone was reading from scripts (often on their phones) and it was a ramshackle affair, with lots of improv and mockery of some of the dated gags, but it was filled with charm and a really enjoyable show in general.

Small Man Big Horse

Went to another Quantum Leopard night last night where Tony Law headlined, and did about two thirds of his Edinburgh show along with a couple of new bits, it was much tighter and funnier than when I saw him perform it a month ago with some of the weaker material thankfully cut, and I enjoyed it a lot despite having heard the majority of it before. Also on the bill was: Alison Spittle, who I'd seen as part of Werewolf Life and she hadn't impressed then, but she was really great here telling a long story about her first music festival and her first boyfriend; Kemah Bob was a low key stand up from the US who was fine but not anything amazing; Dimple Pau who did a strong set, she's fairly new to performing but should hopefully keep on getting better and better; And Neil Dillon, a nurse who told lots of jokes about the things he finds up people's arses which didn't really do it for me, but some of his other material was okay.

Small Man Big Horse

Rose Matafeo - Doing a warm up gig prior to her recording Horndog next week, I'd not seen her do stand up before and only knew her from Taskmaster, but was enormously impressed, it's a very funny and insightful show that made me laugh a great deal, I was a bit tired beforehand and not hugely in the mood for comedy for once but she won me over quickly and now I'm a big fan.

Small Man Big Horse

Improvengers: Pretendgame - Longform improv where the group put on a superhero based adventure after asking the audience for suggestions for a lead character, it started shakily but they managed to course correct quickly with a fun story involving Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla, technology from the future and alternative timelines.

Emily Woods - Thanks for leaving me, dad! - More of a one woman play than a stand up show, what with the way Woods acts out various scenes and changes costumes a couple of times, she's a 21 year old drama student moaning about her sex life and her absent father in what's a painfully self-indulgent show that started off vaguely interestingly but quickly became one of the worst, most tedious things I've ever seen.

Bec Hill - Out Of Order - Charming and engaging, Hill's daft, silly and incredibly likeable new show is slightly lacking in her trademark flip chart antics but otherwise is pretty superb, there's two notably bad jokes but the rest of it was extremely likeable and funny stuff and she's someone I'd definitely see again.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 13, 2020, 09:39:53 PM
Bec Hill - Out Of Order - Charming and engaging, Hill's daft, silly and incredibly likeable new show is slightly lacking in her trademark flip chart antics but otherwise is pretty superb, there's two notably bad jokes but the rest of it was extremely likeable and funny stuff and she's someone I'd definitely see again.

Bec is adorable. Saw a WiP she did a couple of years ago and it was fucking superb (far better than the finished show, if I'm honest).
She seems to be on the up, both as a performer and in terms of her career. Has she been Avaloned?