Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:49:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

prog bands ranking

Started by Dirty Boy, July 27, 2016, 03:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

I forgot Yatha Sidra and Sand. And Limbus 3/4.

I'm very purist about what counts as Krautrock - for me, it really is the bands that Copey mentioned in the Sampler[nb]Plus Agitation Free, who I think only get mentioned as an aside.[/nb], as they were the ones that got the press in the UK at the time, and Krautrock was very much a UK thing based on German acts. Although I love all of the other acts mentioned, they are what I'd call prog, as they have more similarities with UK & US acts of the time than the canonical Krautrock acts did. Obviously, this is only my personal definition, and I know other people will add or subtract names to make up their lists - for example, Kraftwerk, who many people wouldn't say belong to the genre because their best known work isn't really Krautrock (although it's among my favourite music ever made), but for me, should be counted because their first three albums are, and there's the obvious crossover with Neu!

the hum

I'd post a list, but something I've gradually realised over time is that my taste in prog has never really extended to the avant-garde side of the genre as displayed in the lists posted here so far. I tend to like my prog with a more accessible bent, for instance when it comes to Genesis I'd take Trick of the Tail and Duke over most of the Gabriel albums - I still like them, just not as much as the former - and I see both Rush and Marillion have been slated, oh well.

I think my favourite "difficult" album is Crimson's Larks Tongues in Aspic, though possibly their best is probably Red, which is a smidgin more accessible. There's also a smattering of fusion stuff I really enjoy, a particular favourite being Bill Bruford's One of a Kind.

That's the trouble with prog though; it's a hugely broad-brush term that covers a whole range of often wildly different stuff, in both style and complexity.

greenman

Again even with a board definition I don't think Floyd really fit in it, they were a mix of psychedelic pop and space rock/rock deconstruction early on then atmosphere blues rock and folk before finally turning stadium rock.

the hum

Quote from: greenman on July 31, 2016, 10:43:50 PM
Again even with a board definition I don't think Floyd really fit in it, they were a mix of psychedelic pop and space rock/rock deconstruction early on then atmosphere blues rock and folk before finally turning stadium rock.

Most of the genres you mention though, rightly or wrongly, have become subordinate to the prog umbrella over time.

Does anyone have any idea when the term first came into use? I've heard conflicting accounts over the years. Presumably it must have been in music journalists vocabulary in the early 70s, but it sometimes feels like it's a thing that's just retrospectively applied.

BlodwynPig

I think progressive was used in the early 70s, but "Prog" is probably the modern reduction of that for beer-bellied wankers like me.

As for Floyd, even if you class them as stadium rock, there is something a bit more to them than Rolling Stones or Razorlight. I mean their Venice show in 1988(?) was a divine experience for me as a teenager. Definitely progressive in terms of ethos as well as music.

greenman

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 01, 2016, 08:43:50 AM
I think progressive was used in the early 70s, but "Prog" is probably the modern reduction of that for beer-bellied wankers like me.

As for Floyd, even if you class them as stadium rock, there is something a bit more to them than Rolling Stones or Razorlight. I mean their Venice show in 1988(?) was a divine experience for me as a teenager. Definitely progressive in terms of ethos as well as music.

Yeah my impression is more that progressive/prog has narrowed in what it takes in over the years, back in the day it seemed to mean any popular music made by white people with a bit more artistic ambition where as more recently it generally seems to be used to cover Yes, Genesis, etc.

Even something like the title track on Atom Heart Mother to me really isn't inline with that, not really the same focus on instrumental virtuosity and the classical influences more avant garde used to build atmosphere. As I said in the other thread I think the post Barret pre Darkside Floyd share much more in common with Krautrock than they do that modern narrower definition of prog..

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 29, 2016, 03:35:19 PM
You saying Henry VIII was Prog?

Hence "on the fringes".

Quote from: the hum on July 31, 2016, 10:19:13 PM
That's the trouble with prog though; it's a hugely broad-brush term that covers a whole range of often wildly different stuff, in both style and complexity.

Indeed so.  Loads of bands and artists who you would not really ever call prog have dipped their toes in it/have written and performed music that has a very definable prog "feel" - Roxy Music, Frank Zappa, Robin Trower, Santana, Grateful Dead, Edgar Winter, Led Zeppelin, I would argue even some Hendrix when his pyschedelia moved in a more complex direction.  And then all the jazz-rock/fusion bands that started bringing in classical influences - Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, Eleventh House etc etc.

As for ELP, much as I dislike them and blame them almost solely for the bad name prog got (most of the other main players had either split or dramatically reduced their on-stage flamboyance by 1976/77, whilst ELP still had a juggernaut each and took entire orchestras on the road with them and made even the Floyd's stage shows seem low budget by comparison), I still think their version of Fanfare For the Common Man is an absolute belter by anyone's standards.

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 01, 2016, 01:20:03 PMAs for ELP, much as I dislike them and blame them almost solely for the bad name prog got (most of the other main players had either split or dramatically reduced their on-stage flamboyance by 1976/77, whilst ELP still had a juggernaut each and took entire orchestras on the road with them and made even the Floyd's stage shows seem low budget by comparison), I still think their version of Fanfare For the Common Man is an absolute belter by anyone's standards.

It seems strangely ironic that this and indeed the War of the Worlds album are arguably the best liked prog by the layman these days given that they both come from the era and style of prog that's most criticised.

Shit Good Nose

Well, I guess War of the Worlds (abysmal that it is, in my opinion) appeals to the musical crowd and to those who would otherwise shy away from typical prog concepts.

BlodwynPig

hence, is Gary Barlow prog?

Shit Good Nose

I don't know.

...what's his concept?

NoSleep

"Home taping is killing music"

Shit Good Nose

Pah - I bet he recorded the top 40 off of Radio 1 and missed the first few seconds of every song in the 80s, just like everyone else did.

37 minute song on THAT Gary, you cunt![nb]aren't we supposed to like Gary, though?  I don't know - I've lost track...[/nb]

Sam

Any love for Spock' Beard? I like Marillion too!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sam on August 01, 2016, 03:10:00 PM
Any love for Spock' Beard? I like Marillion too!

I also quite like Marillion, although generally prefer the Hogarth era stuff (which most people who slate Marillion have never heard).

Spock's Beard...never really got into them, despite years of trying.  Too bright and poppy for my tastes.  Ditto Transatlantic and The Flower Kings.

Anglagard are pretty good, but the main problem with them is that an awful lot of their songs sound very similar to each other.  That live album they did in the 90s is almost like listening to several variations of the same song.

BlodwynPig

Try Anekdoten instead or Landberk or Tangle Edge

Shit Good Nose

Yeah, Anekdoten are pretty good, and I've had a thing for the keyboard/cellist lady for years.

Don't know Tangle Edge, but Landberk...a bit like Atomic Rooster?

Name rings a bell, but fucked if I can pinpoint why or where from...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 01, 2016, 04:00:46 PM
Yeah, Anekdoten are pretty good, and I've had a thing for the keyboard/cellist lady for years.

Don't know Tangle Edge, but Landberk...a bit like Atomic Rooster?

Name rings a bell, but fucked if I can pinpoint why or where from...

perhaps a more downtrodden Rooster.

Tangle Edge though, mythical legends. Think Scandinavian Gryphon on the 14th Floor Elevator

BlodwynPig

Deep swimming hog is a favourite from this rarity.

Black_Bart

As Santana was mentioned, I'd like to remind people that Chicago (Transit Authority) and Blood, Sweat and Tears had their prog moments.

What about Queensryche? Too metally?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Black_Bart on August 01, 2016, 04:45:01 PM
As Santana was mentioned, I'd like to remind people that Chicago (Transit Authority) and Blood, Sweat and Tears had their prog moments.

What about Queensryche? Too metally?

Indeed they did.  And then you've got yer Kansas and Styx...

Queensryche...metal...these days, most "metal", at least that in the mainstream, has basically become the logical conclusion of early to mid 70s King Crimson's proto-metal - Metallica (regardless of whether or not you like them), Anathema (actually, calling them metal these days is a bit unfair on them), Mars Volta, Meshuggah, Devin Townsend, and Crimson's own descendants Tool.  Compare all of those bands' early work to what they're doing now and you hear a clear development from garage/thrash/death metal into something a lot more complex and melodic.

Soooooo...I guess I'm saying Queensryche fit, albeit on the outer extremes of the genre.

Hemulen

Everyone bangs on about bloody Krautrock[nb]Don't get me wrong, I love me some Krautrock.[/nb], but where's the love for the Italian prog scene? PFM, Banco Del Muturo Soccorso, Museo Rosenbach, Il Baletto di Bronzo, Maxophone, Osanna and, one of my all-time favourite one-album wonders, Murple.

South America had some amazing prog bands as well, like Terreno Baldio (who will definitely appeal to Gentle Giant fans), and Bubu (shades of King Crimson, Zappa, etc.).

Artie Fufkin

Oldfield's 'Ommadawn' is probably about my all time fave album. Consistently in my top 5.
Does that count as prog ?

Serge

Quote from: Hemulen on August 02, 2016, 02:51:31 PM
Everyone bangs on about bloody Krautrock[nb]Don't get me wrong, I love me some Krautrock.[/nb], but where's the love for the Italian prog scene? PFM, Banco Del Muturo Soccorso, Museo Rosenbach, Il Baletto di Bronzo, Maxophone, Osanna and, one of my all-time favourite one-album wonders, Murple.

South America had some amazing prog bands as well, like Terreno Baldio (who will definitely appeal to Gentle Giant fans), and Bubu (shades of King Crimson, Zappa, etc.).

It's because no-one's written a book about it. Copey was asked if he would be writing a book on Italian prog to complete an Axis Powers trilogy, but he's not into it. I may have to check out some of those bands, though.....

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on August 02, 2016, 03:07:52 PM
Oldfield's 'Ommadawn' is probably about my all time fave album. Consistently in my top 5.

More of a 'Hergest Ridge' man myself......but yes.

Artie Fufkin

I also very much like Magma. I'm looking forward to the documentary that's coming out about them.

Hemulen

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on August 02, 2016, 03:07:52 PM

Definitely. It's my favourite Oldfield album too. I take it you also try to pretend that "On Horseback" doesn't exist though?

And yes, Magma are the tits. Have you checked out any of the other "Zeuhl" bands they've inspired? i.e. Eskaton, Dun, Weidorje, Archaia, Eider Stellaire, Koenjihyakkei...

Artie Fufkin

Hemulen

Quote from: Serge on August 02, 2016, 03:09:36 PM
It's because no-one's written a book about it. Copey was asked if he would be writing a book on Italian prog to complete an Axis Powers trilogy, but he's not into it. I may have to check out some of those bands, though.....

Bloody Cope. I read some snide off-hand dismissal of Henry Cow he'd tucked into a piece of his recently. That alone was enough to invalidate all of his opinions for me.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Hemulen on August 02, 2016, 03:18:27 PM
Definitely. It's my favourite Oldfield album too. I take it you also try to pretend that "On Horseback" doesn't exist though?

And yes, Magma are the tits. Have you checked out any of the other "Zeuhl" bands they've inspired? i.e. Eskaton, Dun, Weidorje, Archaia, Eider Stellaire, Koenjihyakkei...

No I haven't. But I will do! Ta for the heads up.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Hemulen on August 02, 2016, 03:18:27 PM

*casts eyes down and kicks at pebbles*