Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:47:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Which probably reprehensible film actor do you love the most?

Started by Old Nehamkin, August 01, 2016, 05:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Nehamkin

Definitely Tom Cruise for me. For all the stories you hear about him being a lovely and conscientious person, there really isn't much doubt that his deep involvement with the upper levels of Scientology have left him complicit in a huge web of heinous shit that he's never (as far as I know) made any attempt to acknowledge or justify. He's used his fame to promote an organisation which actively ruins people's lives both emotionally and financially and come out of it more or less without a scratch. He's definitely a bit of a baddie even if - being generous - he's more guilty of moral cowardice and self-absorption than active sadism.

I still love him though. He still makes some really fun action films like Edge of Tomorrow and Mission Impossible 5 and he's got a refreshingly earnest, unpretentious leading man quality that I always find infectious. He seems like a guy who just really enjoys starring in blockbusters and I find it very hard not to like him.

who yours

Dr Rock

I find it hard to not like Woody Allen because I was such a fan. But if having a relationship with someone he knew as sort of a daughter wasn't creepy enough, I do now believe he did molest Dylan (although I wasn't there so can't be 100% sure).

I can compartmentalize art from the artist quite well though.

Sam

samadriel

Jim Carrey is into that anti-vaxxer shit, but I still enjoy quite a bit of his work. Really though, that anti-vax stuff is SO evil...

thenoise

Klaus kinski s always a compelling and watchable presence in all kinds of dreck. At best he is insane.

kittens

kittens

i wrote that before you posted that
amazing we're so in sync x x

biggytitbo

Oliver Reed, preferably been rude to an earnest 80s feminist.

Kelvin

Quote from: Sam on August 01, 2016, 06:04:09 PM
Jack Nicholson

Why is Jack Nickolson a shit? I don't know much about him.

My own answer is a bit of a cheat, as its not his acting that I like him for. In any case, Mel Gibson, despite being a racist, sexist, homophobic, bullying piece of shit is also a really brilliant director. Apocalypto is absolutely great - one of the all time great action films, in my opinion - and even more obviously flawed films like Braveheart or The Passion of The Christ are beautifully directed.   

Replies From View

I like the film actor Rolf Harris because his real-life crimes give his screen roles a special kind of gloss.

greenman

Quote from: samadriel on August 01, 2016, 06:39:52 PM
Jim Carrey is into that anti-vaxxer shit, but I still enjoy quite a bit of his work. Really though, that anti-vax stuff is SO evil...

I'm much more forgiving of people who however misguided get into it due to having a mentally disabled child, much less so of those who push it for there own financial benefit or just for a conspiracy theory ego trip.

Dr Rock

John Voight is a mental old cunt isn't he?

QuoteLast weekend, I tuned into a Fox program hosted by the avuncular former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, of whom I am a fan. There sat actor Jon Voight, staring gravely at the host, who praised the thespian's "courage." Voight then accused the president of trying to depose God and deify himself—as, according to the Book of Revelation, the Antichrist will do.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Kelvin on August 01, 2016, 06:56:39 PM
My own answer is a bit of a cheat, as its not his acting that I like him for. In any case, Mel Gibson, despite being a racist, sexist, homophobic, bullying piece of shit is also a really brilliant director. Apocalypto is absolutely great - one of the all time great action films, in my opinion - and even more obviously flawed films like Braveheart or The Passion of The Christ are beautifully directed.

Still not sure where I stand on how much is the demon booze bringing out the influence of his parents and how much is actually proper racism on his part - after all, Danny Glover still considers him as one of his closest friends and frequently calls bullshit on a lot of stuff thrown around about Gibbo, defending him at every opportunity.  I think he's also been dealt an unfair media hand when others have been to blame, but they've escaped scrutiny because they've not been out there swearing to an answering machine about it.  Equally I'm not sure about the bullying thing - I think he's just someone who gets angry, blows his top and then when it's sorted it's forgotten about (there is that classic on-set outburst where he rants for about 11 minutes [can't quite remember exactly about what now] and at the end of it he goes "right, are you hungry?  Let's have lunch.")

I'm also a big Klaus Kinski fan.  No doubt he was a batshit crazy tyrant, but I'm not completely sold on the revelations about him abusing his daughters.  If he did, then yeah, okay, rot in hell you crazy cunt.  But without any evidence or witnesses and stuff only being half remember very recently by Nastassja...  Let's just say the jury is out on that one.

Mine is Chevy Chase.  Ignoring the whole AIDS/homophobia thing from the 80s (cos no one really agrees on whether it was him being a homophobic cunt, or if he was just doing the type of edgy comedy that 90% of adult comedians do these days with the get-out of irony, and let's not also forget that he is a staunch and lifelong liberal), there is overwhelming evidence that he's a towering cunt that everyone hates.  Even when it seemed like he was starting to mellow in his old age on the set of Community, it wasn't long before he got canned from that after showing his old colours again.  I think Beverly D'Angelo is literally the only showbiz friend he's got left.  Even Randy Quaid won't return his calls.

Dr Syntax Head

Gary Busey might be an obvious choice, the man is nuts but he's a joy to watch. And for 'I will rip out your spleen'

grassbath

Quote from: Kelvin on August 01, 2016, 06:56:39 PM
Why is Jack Nickolson a shit? I don't know much about him.

Uber-philanderer. Apparently, at some point in the 1990s, approached Lara Flynn Boyle and then-boyfriend David Spade and successfully talked Flynn Boyle into sleeping with him as Spade looked on dumbfounded.

Shaky

Bill Murray is meant to be quite the mercurial (Murraycurial) and difficult cunt in real life - not to mention the wife-beating rumours I've just mentioned - but it's Bill fucking Murray.

Re Chevy Chase, his big problem is that he doesn't realise or won't accept that he's fallen from grace, hence the ongoing attitude of "I'm still the King". In interviews he still seems to regard himself as one of the greats when he hasn't done anything to earn that in a long time. I seem to recall a few relatively recent, "Hey, I know comedy better than anyone"-type quotes when arguably the opposite is now true.

But again, the man's still a legend and I suppose he hasn't raped and killed anyone...

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: greenman on August 01, 2016, 07:08:33 PM
I'm much more forgiving of people who however misguided get into it due to having a mentally disabled child, much less so of those who push it for there own financial benefit or just for a conspiracy theory ego trip.

Well (at least in the case of Jenna McCarthy), it definitely does seem like an ego trip.  "MY child couldn't possibly be disabled, it's someone else's fault!"  Plus I wouldn't be surprised if she's made some money off it too.  Jim Carrey just seems like a gullible sap[nb]he also believes he's successful because he visualised himself putting a check for $10m in his pocket once[/nb], but is no less complicit in the literal deaths of children as a result of his proselytising.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Kelvin on August 01, 2016, 06:56:39 PMMy own answer is a bit of a cheat, as its not his acting that I like him for. In any case, Mel Gibson, despite being a racist, sexist, homophobic, bullying piece of shit is also a really brilliant director. Apocalypto is absolutely great - one of the all time great action films, in my opinion - and even more obviously flawed films like Braveheart or The Passion of The Christ are beautifully directed.

He's apparently really, really nice as well.  He often turns up on the (pretty short) list of "stars who are actually really nice to work with".  Meanwhile, a lot of the ones people assume they could be mates with are apparently total cunts (Will Smith is a total arse, by many accounts).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 01, 2016, 06:00:08 PM
I find it hard to not like Woody Allen because I was such a fan. But if having a relationship with someone he knew as sort of a daughter wasn't creepy enough, I do now believe he did molest Dylan (although I wasn't there so can't be 100% sure).

I've such mixed feelings on this as I used to be an enormous fan of Allen's, and given the length of the relationship with Soon-Yi had given him the benefit of the doubt on that one, but I just don't know what to think when it comes to Dylan. Mrs SMBH is convinced he did do it so I did a lot of reading up on the case and there are certain aspects which bother me a lot. Then again, Mia doesn't come across at all well either, and I could believe the allegations of brainwashing. Or psychological abuse, at the very least. Out of interest, what was it that you made you think he is guilty?

Quote from: grassbath on August 01, 2016, 09:59:53 PM
Uber-philanderer. Apparently, at some point in the 1990s, approached Lara Flynn Boyle and then-boyfriend David Spade and successfully talked Flynn Boyle into sleeping with him as Spade looked on dumbfounded.

I was well aware of Nicholson's reputation as a ladies man, but think Flynn Boyle comes out worse in that anecdote, she could have told Jack to fuck off the moment he started hitting on her, and clearly didn't give a toss about Spade.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Allen is definitely a creep, with a history of dating barely legal or slightly underage girls (like Stacey Nelkin who was the inspiration for the Margaux Hemingway character in Manhattan). And, even if he didn't live with Soon-Yi and wasn't her legal guardian when they started dating, he had some kind of ascendant over her, which is definitely morally reprehensible. That said, that would make him an ephebophile, someone attracted to teenagers, and Dylan was seven at the time of the presumed assault, and it wouldn't fit into the pattern of somebody with a crave for teenage girls.
Then, there are a lot of dubious things in Mia Farrow's statements, like the fact she keeps on repeating the accusations about her ex-lover while, in the same time, she signs petitions of support for Roman Polanski and has never publicly condemned or apparently even addressed the fact that her own brother is a child molestor, currently in jail.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 02, 2016, 11:09:12 AMThen again, Mia doesn't come across at all well either, and I could believe the allegations of brainwashing. Or psychological abuse, at the very least. Out of interest, what was it that you made you think he is guilty?

It's been a while, but I agree that Mia Farrow isn't reliable, and neither were Dylan's claims made when she was a minor possibly brainwashed by her mother. He got the benefit of the doubt then. It was Dylan repeating the allegations once all grown up (28 years old) and not coming across as mental, and being backed up by her brother (Sinatra's kid, clearly), who again seemed believable on this issue. This made me think he likely did it.

Just found this, it has a few things that came out at the time of the allegations resurfacing.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2014/02/woody-allen-sex-abuse-10-facts

Petey Pate

Quote from: Shaky on August 02, 2016, 07:22:22 AM
Bill Murray is meant to be quite the mercurial (Murraycurial) and difficult cunt in real life - not to mention the wife-beating rumours I've just mentioned - but it's Bill fucking Murray.

Someone who knew a stagehand who worked with Bill Murray on set told me that he was very rude and difficult.  He had a go at one crew member who ate sandwiches from a tray that were supposedly 'only for him', even though there was no indication of this.  I imagine many entitled and wealthy actors behave in a similar manner and producing a film is a stressful experience but there's still no excuses for being an arsehole.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 02, 2016, 11:09:12 AM
I've such mixed feelings on this as I used to be an enormous fan of Allen's, and given the length of the relationship with Soon-Yi had given him the benefit of the doubt on that one, but I just don't know what to think when it comes to Dylan. Mrs SMBH is convinced he did do it so I did a lot of reading up on the case and there are certain aspects which bother me a lot. Then again, Mia doesn't come across at all well either, and I could believe the allegations of brainwashing. Or psychological abuse, at the very least. Out of interest, what was it that you made you think he is guilty?

I was well aware of Nicholson's reputation as a ladies man, but think Flynn Boyle comes out worse in that anecdote, she could have told Jack to fuck off the moment he started hitting on her, and clearly didn't give a toss about Spade.

Not sure where I stand on Woody - I love his early funny films and the odd one since, but have bothered myself with very little of his life away from the cameras.  But Mia Farrow is a well known misguided...I want to say crazy.  Watch pretty much any interview with her on just about any subject - even press interviews for a specific film she's promoting - and she invariably says odd things and has the 1000 yard stare at some point.  I think it was John Guillermin, who cast her in a fairly main role quite early on in her career, that said she was a bit odd.

As for Lara Flynn Boyle - isn't her reputation far worse than Jack's (albeit in a different way)?  I'm sure I've read things about her being a massive cunt.

Dr Rock

This thread just reminded me - last night I dreamt about David Spade looking on as Jack Nicholson did Lara Flynn Boyle. But I don't remember anything apart from how David Spade was dressed, wearing a beret and glasses.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 01, 2016, 08:20:55 PM
Equally I'm not sure about the bullying thing - I think he's just someone who gets angry, blows his top and then when it's sorted it's forgotten about (there is that classic on-set outburst where he rants for about 11 minutes [can't quite remember exactly about what now] and at the end of it he goes "right, are you hungry?  Let's have lunch.")

To be honest that's just a sympathetic description of a bully.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on August 02, 2016, 01:33:20 PM
To be honest that's just a sympathetic description of a bully.

Yeah, maybe you're right.

But then, as Noodle Lizard said, so many people vouch for him.  I mean Jodie Foster is his other strongest supporter/defender, and I doubt she would put up with much.

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, it's too difficult.

Dr Rock

Putting aside whether Allen diddled Dylan, or the dodgy nature of his relationship with Soon-Yi, this on its own (assuming she is not mental and making it up... which seems unlikely) is fucking creepy enough for me to have serious problems with the man:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3029335/Mariel-Hemingway-reveals-story-famous-family-haunted-depression-alcoholism-suicide-two-new-memoirs.html

QuoteAfter wrapping filming on the 1979 movie [Manhattan], Mariel says then 43-year-old Allen flew out to her parent's home in Idaho for a visit, during which he asked her to go to Paris with him.
'Our relationship was platonic, but I started to see that he had a kind of crush on me, though I dismissed it as the kind of thing that seemed to happen any time middle-aged men got around young women,' Mariel wrote.
A teenager at the the time, she told her parents that she 'didn't know what the arrangement was going to be' and 'wasn't sure' if she was going to have her own room.

Mariel recalls waking up in the middle of the night 'with the certain knowledge that I was an idiot'.
She then went to Allen's guest room, shook him awake and asked: 'I'm not going to get my room am I?'
While he fumbled to put on his glasses, Hemingway made up her mind before he could even respond.
'I can't go to Paris with you,' she said.
The next morning, Allen ordered a private jet and left the family's ranch.

What 43 year old man invites a 16 year old to Paris with them? And let's wonder if she had said yes she might have got a few more parts in other Woody Allen movies, but she declined and didn't.

But I still love Woody Allen's movies, was just watching Bananas the other day. I listen to Gary Glitter. Fuck it, compartmentalize, nobody's perfect, whatever.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 02, 2016, 01:41:54 PM
Yeah, maybe you're right.

But then, as Noodle Lizard said, so many people vouch for him.  I mean Jodie Foster is his other strongest supporter/defender, and I doubt she would put up with much.

Gaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh, it's too difficult.

I guess the problem is that because of his recent behaviour, he's quite reasonably been demonised as a 100% total bastard. The truth is of course that people are complicated. Basically, Gibson is like a more talented and successful BoJack Horseman.

newbridge

Christopher Walken murdered Natalie Wood, but I forgive him.

Blinder Data

Quote from: newbridge on August 03, 2016, 04:01:57 AM
Christopher Walken murdered Natalie Wood, but I forgive him.

Isn't the gossip that it was Robert Wagner? I assume you're being tongue-in-cheek but even so. The thought Christopher Walken was more than an innocent bystander in a possible murder case is deeply troubling.

Michael Fassbender got into some bother with his girlfriend, allegedly. But I don't love him, so fuck.