Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:20:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Which probably reprehensible film actor do you love the most?

Started by Old Nehamkin, August 01, 2016, 05:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Walken's never spoken about it, but he's never even been hinted as being involved has he?  Apart from being on the boat, I mean.

Brundle-Fly

Probably Peter Sellers. He sounded like an appalling dysfunctional though.

Bad Ambassador

It would have been an impressive fear, given he'd been dead for two years.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 03, 2016, 08:41:35 PM
Probably Peter Sellers. He sounded like an appalling dysfunctional though.

Yep, he's definitely my favourite amazing actor/reprehensible human being. Sellers was mentally ill, so I cut him a certain amount of slack. But on a purely selfish, tactless, didn't-have-to-deal-with-him-in-real-life level, I'm sort of glad he was mad - his personal mania fed into his greatest performances.

That sounds awful, I know, but Sellers the genius artiste wouldn't have existed if Sellers the human being wasn't so fucking insane.

Small Man Big Horse

Can't say I ever loved Clint Eastwood but I admired a lot of his work. But since the infamous 'chair interview' in 2012 I've had no time for him, and yesterday he did a batshit mental interview moaning about the how the "pussy generation" should "fucking get over racism". Along with a rant about about welfare, and how people should earn sandwiches by chopping wood: http://www.avclub.com/article/clint-eastwood-thinks-pussy-generation-needs-fucki-240590

Dr Rock

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 04, 2016, 12:46:03 PM
Can't say I ever loved Clint Eastwood but I admired a lot of his work. But since the infamous 'chair interview' in 2012 I've had no time for him, and yesterday he did a batshit mental interview moaning about the how the "pussy generation" should "fucking get over racism". Along with a rant about about welfare, and how people should earn sandwiches by chopping wood: http://www.avclub.com/article/clint-eastwood-thinks-pussy-generation-needs-fucki-240590

Heh, the Esquire interview may be full of asinine opinions (I haven't read it) but that AV club version of it makes it really look like they are taking things out of context and glueing separate words and phrases together to make new, worse things he never actually said.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on August 03, 2016, 03:26:43 PM
Walken's never spoken about it, but he's never even been hinted as being involved has he?  Apart from being on the boat, I mean.

Some guy claimed that Robert Wagner had an affair with Walken. Nathalie Wood stepped in in the room, in medias res, on the boat, and had an argument with her husband. Then, she tried to get off the boat in the middle of the night, and she drowned, with Wagner and Walked possibly refusing to take care of her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_La_Tourneaux

Dr Rock

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on August 04, 2016, 01:57:27 PM
Some guy claimed that Robert Wagner had an affair with Walken. Nathalie Wood stepped in in the room, in medias res, on the boat, and had an argument with her husband. Then, she tried to get off the boat in the middle of the night, and she drowned, with Wagner and Walked possibly refusing to take care of her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_La_Tourneaux

He wasn't on the boat though was he? So Walken told him this? None of that is in the wikipedia link, do you have a link to these allegations? Cheers.

Dr Rock

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2303569/Did-Hollywood-star-Natalie-Wood-walk-husband-Robert-Wagner-Christopher-Walken-having-sex-night-drowned.html

Some details here, via the DM - sorry for linking it. This is the meat:

QuoteThe captain of the yacht, Dennis Davern, told '48 Hours' and the 'Today' show last year that he heard Mr Wagner and Ms Wood arguing the night of her disappearance and believed Mr Wagner was to blame for her death.
He said that after Wood went to bed, he heard the fight continuing in her cabin, including sounds of a physical struggle.
He also claimed that a fight had broken out between Wagner and actor Christopher Walken, who was also aboard to yacht.
Mr Davern claims Wagner waited several hours after his wife disappeared to call authorities.
--
Wagner, now 82, admitted he had a fight with his wife on the night of November 28, 1981, but said she was not in her cabin when he went to bed.
He maintains he had nothing to do with her death, though said he feels personally responsible for not looking after her.
However, Davern reportedly offered an alternate explanation for Wood's death. Lana Wood, the actress' young sister, claimed to author Suzanne Finstad that Davern called her and drunkenly confessed that Wagner allowed his wife to drown.
'He said it appeared to him as though (Wagner) shoved her away and she went overboard. Dennis panicked and (Wagner) said, "Leave her there. Teach her a lesson." Dennis said he was very panicky that he was sitting and (Wagner) kept drinking and kept drinking.
'And he'd say, "Come on, let's get her." And he said (Wagner) was in such a foul mood, at that point, that he then shut up and was waiting for when, when are they gonna go to her rescue, until all the sound stopped,' Lana is heard telling Finstad in recordings make for her 2001 book Natasha: The Biography of Natalie Wood.
Lana continues on to say that Davern did not think that Wagner meant for Wood to die but he did not 'run to her aid.'
'Even if he did not kill her, which is what I understand the guy's saying, it was – you know, that it – it was an accident,' Lana said.

It's all a bit rum. If the captain is not rescuing somebody drowning, isn't he at fault too?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 04, 2016, 02:17:39 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2303569/Did-Hollywood-star-Natalie-Wood-walk-husband-Robert-Wagner-Christopher-Walken-having-sex-night-drowned.html

Some details here, via the DM - sorry for linking it. This is the meat:

It's all a bit rum. If the captain is not rescuing somebody drowning, isn't he at fault too?

It doesn't help that Davern has changed details of his story a few times, and also admitted to lying to the police first time around.  He's arguably even less reliable a witness than Wagner[nb]Richard Wagner[/nb]...

garbed_attic

Cage crops up in the oft-reposted 'famous people who are abusers' list for pushing/ shoving his wife when he was drunk, which is shitty. I also suspect he married Lisa Marie Presley because he liked the idea of combining his own genes with the King's.

Really though the most reprehensible creative artists that I love - at least to some degree - are confessional autiobiographical comic book writers. Joe Matt; Chester Brown; David Heatley - especially David Heatley.

Lena Dunham.

Twed

I'm doing the thread in reverse again, but Seth MacFarlane should be a prick based on his content. Instead he's incredibly charming and seems to be very liberal.

studpuppet

Quote from: thenoise on August 01, 2016, 06:48:19 PM
Klaus kinski s always a compelling and watchable presence in all kinds of dreck. At best he is insane.

Kinski Uncut https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinski-Uncut-Klaus/dp/0747530998 is one of my three all-time favourite autobiogs. The book makes you want to wash your hands after reading it...

Glebe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 04, 2016, 12:46:03 PMCan't say I ever loved Clint Eastwood but I admired a lot of his work. But since the infamous 'chair interview' in 2012 I've had no time for him, and yesterday he did a batshit mental interview moaning about the how the "pussy generation" should "fucking get over racism". Along with a rant about about welfare, and how people should earn sandwiches by chopping wood: http://www.avclub.com/article/clint-eastwood-thinks-pussy-generation-needs-fucki-240590

Clint and Scott Eastwood: No Holds Barred in Their First Interview Together.

QuoteESQ: Your characters have become touchstones in the culture, whether it's Reagan invoking "Make my day" or now Trump ... I swear he's even practiced your scowl.

CE: Maybe. But he's onto something, because secretly everybody's getting tired of political correctness, kissing up. That's the kiss-ass generation we're in right now. We're really in a pussy generation. Everybody's walking on eggshells. We see people accusing people of being racist and all kinds of stuff. When I grew up, those things weren't called racist. And then when I did Gran Torino, even my associate said, "This is a really good script, but it's politically incorrect." And I said, "Good. Let me read it tonight." The next morning, I came in and I threw it on his desk and I said, "We're starting this immediately."

ESQ: What is the "pussy generation"?

CE: All these people that say, "Oh, you can't do that, and you can't do this, and you can't say that." I guess it's just the times.

ESQ: What do you think Trump is onto?

CE: What Trump is onto is he's just saying what's on his mind. And sometimes it's not so good. And sometimes it's ... I mean, I can understand where he's coming from, but I don't always agree with it.

ESQ: So you're not endorsing him?

CE: I haven't endorsed anybody. I haven't talked to Trump. I haven't talked to anybody. You know, he's a racist now because he's talked about this judge. And yeah, it's a dumb thing to say. I mean, to predicate your opinion on the fact that the guy was born to Mexican parents or something. He's said a lot of dumb things. So have all of them. Both sides. But everybody—the press and everybody's going, "Oh, well, that's racist," and they're making a big hoodoo out of it. Just fucking get over it. It's a sad time in history.

ESQ: What troubles you the most?

CE: We're not really ... what troubles me is ... I guess when I did that silly thing at the Republican convention, talking to the chair ...

ESQ: I didn't say it was silly.

CE: It was silly at the time, but I was standing backstage and I'm hearing everybody say the same thing: "Oh, this guy's a great guy." Great, he's a great guy. I've got to say something more. And so I'm listening to an old Neil Diamond thing and he's going, "And no one heard at all / Not even the chair." And I'm thinking, That's Obama. He doesn't go to work. He doesn't go down to Congress and make a deal. What the hell's he doing sitting in the White House? If I were in that job, I'd get down there and make a deal. Sure, Congress are lazy bastards, but so what? You're the top guy. You're the president of the company. It's your responsibility to make sure everybody does well. It's the same with every company in this country, whether it's a two-man company or a two-hundred-man company... . And that's the pussy generation—nobody wants to work.

It's political correctness gone mad.

As to Woody Allen, it's all a bit murky. There's something a bit iffy about his attitude to it all, but then again it does sound like Mia Farrow orchestrated things a bit. In any case, I reckon Allen is a bit of a nihilist and is maybe not all that concerned about anything.

Mr Banlon

mobias

I don't mind someone like Clint Eastwood so much. Just because I don't share his political beliefs doesn't make me thing he's a bad person or that he's wrong and I'm right. America is a very different country to this one anyway. He's clearly incredibly old and doddery these days. I just feel slightly sad and sorry for him really. He spoke out in favour of gay rights, so there's that.

Tom Cruise is an interesting one. I very much agree with Old Nehamkin. I enjoy a lot of his films and find him a really engaging actor when he's at his best but his continued involvement in Scientology is baffling and disappointing. I almost believe those conspiracy theories going around that he knows too much to ever be free of it even if he wanted to. I think even John Travolta has started distancing himself from it recently though.

There's actually any number of actors, musicians, writers and artists who's work I love to varying degrees but who can really disappoint me in interviews with their views and/or general behaviour. I find egotistical behaviour the worst though. In a negative sense it just says so much about the person, over and above them having a political or religious belief I don't perhaps agree with.

Quote from: Mr Banlon on August 05, 2016, 06:25:39 PM
James Woods. Good actor. Not a nice person.

And then there's people like James Woods who are clearly just mental. Dan Aykroyd is another one. I love so many of his films but he truly believes so much totally far out shit it makes me thing he's not really all there, so to speak.

mobias

Quote from: monolith on August 05, 2016, 09:16:33 PM
What has James Woods done?

Politically he's to the right of Ted Nugent and seems to believe pretty much every deeply paranoid conspiracy theory there is. A quick look at his Twitter feed should fill you in https://twitter.com/RealJamesWoods

Dr Rock

Is there any proof James Woods has a massively high IQ apart from James Woods claiming he has?

Steven

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 05, 2016, 10:39:38 PM
Is there any proof James Woods has a massively high IQ apart from James Woods claiming he has?

He also informed the FAA about suspicious Arabs such as Muhammed Atta on his plane during the run throughs for 9/11.

Glebe

I actually found Cruise extremely likeable up until he started to get undeniably creepy. He's actually a decent actor, too.

garbed_attic

Quote from: studpuppet on August 05, 2016, 01:33:15 PM
Kinski Uncut https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinski-Uncut-Klaus/dp/0747530998 is one of my three all-time favourite autobiogs. The book makes you want to wash your hands after reading it...

I read it for an essay I wrote at the end of my undergrad about Aguirre and Woyzeck and I felt hella grubby after doing so. He gleefully talks about raping several women in the book... and while a lot of it is obviously braggadocio (and so, potentially fictional)... if a bloke sees rape as something to be boastful or arrogant about, it doesn't seem unlikely unlikely that he might have been a rapist.

Not a good man.

GeeWhiz

Quite clearly a bully and a shit of the highest degree, but man wasn't Oliver Reed a charismatic bastard on the screen?