Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:30:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

MKV playback via Blu Ray USB

Started by Cuntbeaks, August 05, 2016, 10:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuntbeaks

I have successfully been using my laptop and an HDMI to play all my downloded/ripped HD content into my telly.  However,  the laptop is a noisy fucker,  especially when playin on a 15gb+ file. I would preger to use a method where i can simply plug in an external hard drive,  access the content and play without using the laptop.

I believe this is possible with certain Blu Ray players that have USB ports.  Can anyone confirm this or recommend a better way to go about it?

Viero_Berlotti

PS4 now supports MKV:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/music/mp_format_m.html

EDIT: PS4s can start to get a bit noisy though, especially after about 18-24 months of use.

Cuntbeaks

I wouldn't get the use out of it tbh.  A multi purpose blu ray at around £100 would be ideal.

Cuntbeaks

Thanks for this.  The S5500 was already on my radar,  i trust it can handle all bit rates of file via the usb? I generally watch 1080p rips between 15-25gb

Alberon

I've got a Samsung BD-H6500. I've never plugged an external hard drive into it, but I often put MKV files on a memory stick and play them off of that. I'm fairly sure a HDD would work just as well.

Puffin Chunks

A Raspberry Pi with Kodi installed would do this for £25. Don't get the BluRay player though, obviously, so may not be what you're looking for.

Oh, and be aware that more and more MKVs are coming encoded in H.265 (HEVC) format, so you would probably want to ensure that any device you buy can hardware decode these. The Pi can't.

biggytitbo

My Sony telly plays MKVs out of the box, although I guess it will depend on how new your TV is and what the exact codec used is. I've never seen it refuse to play anything yet though.

Cuntbeaks

Took the plunge and got the Sony S5500 from The Argos.  Substance over style for sure,  but it does plenty for its diminutive size. Plus it does it silently.