Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:36:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What do you think about Hamilton: The Musical?

Started by Nowhere Man, August 05, 2016, 10:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

I think it's a good thing they made a musical specifically for people who can't sleep unless they've told somebody that Trump's best demographic is people without college degrees.

idunnosomename

So Solid Crew get Heritage Lottery Fund grant to explore the Peasants' Revolt of 1381 via the medium of UK Garage

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 10, 2019, 11:52:40 PM
maybe that cunt from The Streets could do a musical about Pitt the Elder

He's Pitt but my gosh don't he know it

EOLAN

Quote from: studpuppet on November 10, 2019, 10:19:45 PM
Yup - I'd agree with this. It's also a musical for people who don't really like musicals. Rap always sounds clunky if you're trying to wrap a story into the lyrics - it also needs to be unthreatening if you're not going to alienate people who otherwise wouldn't listen to it. Other things that are good about it:

1. No dialogue as such, so if you get the CD/download you have the whole show.
2. Plays with the Musical as a genre by using different styles - George III singing as a jilted lover, Thomas Jefferson singing boogie-woogie to denote his out-of-touchness, etc.
3. If you don't well up a little by the time you get to 'It's Quiet Uptown' you're a heartless bastard who's beyond help.

Well I was absolutely jiving to the Jefferson Boogie Woogie; which clearly means I am an uncool outdated fuddy-duddy Democratic-Republican.
I was getting quite annoyed at the "It's Quiet Uptown" during the actual performance; due to the heavy crying and running through tissues of the Canadian lady next to me. I pretty much felt like letting out a big "FUCK YEAH!!!" when Madison asks "Can we get back to politics?".

Watching it in the West-End; it did feel to have a few references for the Broadway version about how great and wonderful New York is; which felt a bit out of place (bad pun and all). Of course King George III is so much more heroic in the West End.

phantom_power

Of course a rap musical isn't going to be pure musical or pure rap. It will dilute both forms into some centre point, otherwise it would be too rap to be a commercial musical or too musical to allow the rap to work. I don't think liking Hamilton means you don't really like rap or don't really like musicals

kittens

saw it in london last year, it was terrific. shittest seats in the world and i was in the depths of some kind of days long emotional breakdown but i still had a great time. seriously thinking about going again. paid 80 quid or more to get the deluxe vinyl boxset too. love it

kngen

I was in North Carolina a year or so ago (maybe two), and we were walking by this big venue/exhibition centre and suddenly found ourselves in the middle of a mass of old white people who were arriving by the busload. At first we though Trump (or at the very least Pence) was in town, but it turns out they were all going to see Hamilton. I presume there was a 'I can still use the N-word and not be called a racist if go and see this damn musical' Early Bird special on. It was the weirdest thing.

jonbob

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 10, 2019, 11:52:40 PM
maybe that cunt from The Streets could do a musical about Pitt the Elder
are they making a new season of people just do nothing?