Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 726
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:32:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Uncomfortable and awkward panel show moments

Started by BritishHobo, August 08, 2016, 02:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monolith

Sean Lock and Mark Lamarr really do seem like two of the biggest cunts in the country, proper nasty pieces of shit.

Puce Moment

I'm again reminded of that time when Lamarr interviewed Annie Lennox while standing in for Ross on Radio2.

What a cunt. I have to say that I have always really fucking disliked him, and found him annoyingly unfunny (unfortunately I have seen his stand-up live). This has nothing to do with my love for Shabba Ranks.

He once went out with Niki from Huggy Bear, which lasted about as long as her next relationship (with Graham Coxon - up until the point where she saw the Country House video). She sure knew how to pick 'em.

Bobtoo

I was trying to find the bit where Sean Lock is taking the piss out of Trisha and she responds with something like "what have you ever done?" but the whole episode seems quite uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-BzNYOxFBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOvrZmNcCAQ

Dr Rock

Coxon has a remarkably positive image for someone who is an obnoxious drunken twat.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 08, 2016, 06:36:00 PM
I'm again reminded of that time when Lamarr interviewed Annie Lennox while standing in for Ross on Radio2.

What a cunt. I have to say that I have always really fucking disliked him, and found him annoyingly unfunny (unfortunately I have seen his stand-up live). This has nothing to do with my love for Shabba Ranks.

He once went out with Niki from Huggy Bear, which lasted about as long as her next relationship (with Graham Coxon - up until the point where she saw the Country House video). She sure knew how to pick 'em.

You love Shabba Ranks? That was one of the times Lamarr was completely right to have a go at someone.

Lamarr is a dick, but I always thought he was an absolute beast on Buzzcocks. Just a force of nature. His stand-up is fucking terrible though.

Puce Moment

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 08, 2016, 06:45:52 PMYou love Shabba Ranks? That was one of the times Lamarr was completely right to have a go at someone.

No. No I don't love Shabba Ranks.

Funnily enough, my brother told him how well he did confronting Shabba Ranks just a few days later in the bogs in the White Horse in Hampstead and he ignored him completely.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 08, 2016, 06:48:28 PM
No. No I don't love Shabba Ranks.

Funnily enough, my brother told him how well he did confronting Shabba Ranks just a few days later in the bogs in the White Horse in Hampstead and he ignored him completely.

Oh sorry. I should have known better.

How do you know Lamarr went out with Niki from Huggy Bear btw?

Dr Rock

Quote from: Bobtoo on August 08, 2016, 06:38:12 PM
I was trying to find the bit where Sean Lock is taking the piss out of Trisha and she responds with something like "what have you ever done?" but the whole episode seems quite uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-BzNYOxFBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOvrZmNcCAQ

Yes the whole episode is uncomfortable because nobody manages to say anything funny once. The desperation is definitely setting in after 8 minutes (that we have been edited to see, Christ knows how it was going down in the studio). If we're getting at Lock, he seems to be undermining Emo Philips (who looks like Ken Dodd's illegitimate daughter by this point) by grimacing when he's doing his jokes.

Trisha is quite a pain though. I think Alex Zane comes out of it the best, which is saying a lot.

monolith

Trisha seems pretty spiteful there, god knows what the unedited version was and why she decided to have such a go at Alex Zane who seems pretty harmless.

MattD

Quote from: Petey Pate on August 08, 2016, 04:02:56 PM
This is the episode, the chat about LaMarr and Lock starts around 20 mins in.

http://tonyway.podbean.com/e/thomas-way-podcast-05/

Wow, Sean Lock and Mark Lamarr come off as real c*nts. Not the least bit surprised by Lamarr as he's always been a smarmy piece of work but disappointing with regards to Sean Lock.

I can only imagine the last couple of years have added salt to the wounds of Lock and Lamarr, considering the success of Rhys Thomas's (and Simon Day of course) Brian Pern mockumentaries.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: monolith on August 08, 2016, 07:03:45 PM
Trisha seems pretty spiteful there, god knows what the unedited version was and why she decided to have such a go at Alex Zane who seems pretty harmless.

I just assumed she fancied him & was being a bit school-playground about it.

Serge

I've always hated Rhys Thomas, so the fact that Lock seems to dislike him only raises Lock higher in my eyes. I realise that this is a minority view.

BritishHobo

Definitely understand Lock's wincing whenever Emo talks. It just derails the entire show every time. He comes across like New Material Seinfeld on Pete Holmes' old show. 'Australia?! Did someone mention Australia?! I WAS IN AUSTRALIA...'

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 08, 2016, 04:23:48 PM
I can't seem to find the Rhys Thomas/Walliams episode of 8 out of 10 Cats. Fascinated to see if Thomas' memory of the show is as bad as the reality.

I wonder if Lock's attitude to Thomas is informed by the fact that perhaps Lamarr blames Thomas for his reputation on the circuit and in comedy circles as a cunt, and his leaving Shooting Stars.

But Thomas didn't dish the dirt on Lamarr until years after this had all happened, did he? In any case I think Lamarr's reputation as a massive cock was well established by the end of his Buzzcocks run. Just by way of example, here's an old Buxton blog post detailing how unpleasant it was being on the show under Lamarr, and how different it was with Amstell.

http://adam-buxton.co.uk/ad/2006/12/07/humiliating-tv-appearance-news/
http://adam-buxton.co.uk/ad/2007/01/27/tv-news/

Dr Rock

Personal run-ins with Lamarr - massive cunt.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Serge on August 08, 2016, 07:16:20 PM
I've always hated Rhys Thomas, so the fact that Lock seems to dislike him only raises Lock higher in my eyes. I realise that this is a minority view.

I've always been extremely fond of Lock but he does appear to be a bit of a shit at times, when I saw him live once he was in a really pissy mood and clearly glad when the gig ended.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 08, 2016, 08:53:41 PM
This is fucking horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg_UFb1rEGc

Reminds me of an ep of Juke Box Jury in 1989, where they'd played Kate Bush's new one, then Sinitta's.  Fish of Marillion described hearing the latter after the former as, 'like looking at the Sun after reading Dickens'-blissfully unaware that Sinitta was a special guest who was in hiding, listening to all the comments in the studio.

Puce Moment

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 08, 2016, 06:56:34 PMHow do you know Lamarr went out with Niki from Huggy Bear btw?

I used to attend Blow Up a lot.

Dr Rock

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 08, 2016, 08:42:30 PM
Elaborate.

Oh ok. I was running a club night, and me and my then wife who also ran it saw him at a gig - he was then on The Word, not started NMTBs, so about 1993/4. I happen to know the date quite well, give a few months, as my then wife wasn't my wife much for much longer afterwards (still friends though). So at the gig, before the band starts, drinking at the bar, you can chat to people and my wife at the time started talking first. She basically said 'oh we do this club night if you ever want to do a bit of guest DJing' and he coldly said 'why would I want to do that?' I think she said something about how we could pay him a bit or give him free drinks but again he was acting like it was insulting to be asked, and carried on being hostile until we quite quickly said never mind then sorry to bother you or something.

We had asked loads of people in bands or the music business before, everyone had always been nice and positive and many had accepted. I'd met loads of celebs and musicians by this point, he really stood out as someone who was getting off on being as rude a cunt as possible in the shortest space of time. It wasn't said with any charm or wit, just a nasty thing to say to a young lady who was asking a perfectly reasonable question in a flattering way.

We both just thought 'what an arsehole' and watched whatever band it was we had come to see. In retrospect I could've said 'no need to be rude love' or something, but I think it was just a bit shocking how cunty he was.

I also heard a few second-hand stories from other people around, I knew plenty of people working in comedy, at Avalon etc, so you find out who is nice in real life and who isn't through gossip pretty easily, and still I don't have loads of 'he's an arsehole' stories about other celebs to share. Even Jamiriquio was alright in real life. But Lamarr had a reputation as a dick, that story I just heard from Rhys Thomas's podcast confirms it, and so does Adam Buxton's blog entry. I can see why his career has ended, nobody would want to work with him unless he massively changed his personality. Maybe he has, hope so.

up_the_hampipe

That's interesting. Full of resentment or trying to be the bad boy. God knows.

I think Lamarr is in self-imposed exile more than anything. There are bigger cunts than him who have been very successful for many many years.

Brundle-Fly

I think on that same edition of Juke Box Jury, Vic & Bob really piss off Neneh Cherry by laughing about Curtis Mayfield getting paralysed by a lighting rig falling on him that same year. And quite rightly so, the pair of brats.

Here's Alan Freeman again on an earlier incarnation of Juke Box Jury giving Johnny Rotten short shrift for slagging off The (Nice Legs, Shame About The Face) Monks.

Love the casual smoking during the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXQ-CzyMyCg

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 08, 2016, 09:05:36 PM
I used to attend Blow Up a lot.

Blimey, me too. Halcyon days! I wonder if we ever crossed paths?

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 08, 2016, 04:01:53 PMThe best Buzzcocks one for me is that gimp Donny Tourette from the Towers Of London, Amstell just destroys him. "I'm smoking a CIGARETTE! Which you can legally buy in shops!".

I've mentioned it before, but that whole "I'm <using/eating/drinking an item> that you can legally buy in a shop!  I'm SHOCKED and APPALLED!!" thing became quite the catchphrase in my household at the time.  Lovely moment.

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 08, 2016, 04:01:53 PMThe Preston incident mentioned in the tags is one that always felt unfair to me - I'm not sure what else Preston could have done in that situation.

Yeah, it was mostly funny at the time, but it's one of those things that, on reflection, was really quite cruel.  As you say, no amount of wit could really have deflected that particular attack.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 08, 2016, 04:05:23 PMMark Lamarr making Gail Porter cry comes to mind.

Jesus, I think I must have missed that.

Or perhaps forgotten it, as a check of the Wikipedia episode guide indicates I was still watching at the time (S06E04; I stopped watching during S14E06 during Lamarr's screaming at Sheila Ferguson, having got increasingly fed up with him over the previous few editions; I didn't come back until the start of Amstell's first season (S19)).

What happened?

Twed

No video but here's a description:

QuoteBuzzcocks's true heyday was during the years Mark Lamarr was in the presenter's chair (1996 – 2005). In a 1999 episode, which also featured singer Marianne Faithfull and comedian Sean Locke as panelists, Lamarr and team captain went a bit too far when they jeered TV presenter Gail Porter for her nude modelling. In the Next Lines round, after completing the lines "I find you very attractive, would you go to bed with me" from the song by Touch and Go, Porter got her own back by looking away, saying, "I find the idea too repulsive".

A familiar name pops up there...

Ambient Sheep

Meanwhile, chalk me up as another who's never really liked Sean Lock.  He's nearly really likeable -- he can be sometimes, and can also be bloody funny sometimes too -- but as Dr Rock said "he has come off as a cunt too many times".  Too often on 8OO10C he seems to be being snide for the sake of it, and for the most part in a painfully unfunny way.

I didn't know he was mates with Lamarr, but it makes perfect sense, as he's basically Lamarr-lite when it comes to being snide.

I'd say he's probably the main reason I no longer watch the show unless stumbling across it when exceptionally bored; Jimmy Carr is fairly awful, but if you fast-forward through his regularly woeful introductions, and can ignore his seal-bark laugh, he's put-up-able with.  But add in Sean Lock as well... and it's just too much, even though I'm very fond of Jon Richardson.

(Incidentally, an ex-g/f once made the mistake of surprise-treating me/us to a Lamarr stand-up gig at the Cambridge Corn Exchange for my birthday.  This was before Lamarr got unbearable on Buzzcocks (it would have been around December 1999), but even so I can honestly say it was one of the worst gigs I've ever seen in my life -- by the end of it even Lamarr was saying how shit his own gig had been.)

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 08, 2016, 09:43:57 PM
Jesus, I think I must have missed that.

Or perhaps forgotten it, as a check of the Wikipedia episode guide indicates I was still watching at the time (S06E04; I stopped watching during S14E06 during Lamarr's screaming at Sheila Ferguson, having got increasingly fed up with him over the previous few editions; I didn't come back until the start of Amstell's first season (S19)).

What happened?

As mentioned above, Porter dissed Lamarr in the next lines round. Lamarr took personal offence (probably hoping he'd get a shag after the show) and started not giving their team points and giving Phill's team double points so they would win. Porter was getting quite upset towards the end, welling up and even asked Marianne Faithfull "shall we go?" or something like that.