Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Talking Heads

Started by MoonDust, August 11, 2016, 10:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: MoonDust on August 11, 2016, 08:57:05 PM
Cheers for the recommendations folks! And apologies for ignoring the thread all day. My office has had no internet and I've just got back to my flat!

No thank you for starting it. I'm now going to be listening to TH on my way home. Ace.

Edit. New page, second time today like

greenman

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on August 11, 2016, 06:54:18 PM
Bush Of Ghosts is really good, but I actually prefer Byrne's 'Catherine Wheel' from 1981 or thereabouts - Talking Heads used to play a few songs from The Catherine Wheel live - 'What A Day That Was' features in 'Stop Making Sense', as Does 'Big Business' with 'I Zimbra' in the extended cut of the film.... Talking Heads also did 'My Big Hands Fall Through The Cracks' and 'Big Blue Plymouth Eyes Wide Open' live a few times between '82 and '84, although they were never given an official release.

Its definitely the most relaxing Heads based release from that era although for me it lacks a bit of direction and punch relative to Bush of Ghosts.

Dannyhood91

That first song on Remain in The Light is the dogs bollocks.

I have a music group on Facebook and couldn't settle on a name so I opted for Born Under Punches.

Took a lot of influence from Fela Kuti which is ALWAYS a good thing.

Bhazor

If we're extending the discussion to Bryne's work in general then I also have to recommend his collab with St Vincent "Love This Giant". Its the most he's sounded like Talking Head's David Byrne in decades. I also like the video for Who proving that David still has better hips than a woman half his age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpPYKJAnwUo

On the more obscure side theres also Music From The Knee Plays (1985). A work from an abandoned olympic opera or something I don't know. But if like me you just love the sound of his voice then it's got some great stuff on it. I only discovered it when Adam Buxton played it on 6 music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzBS7bGJaDA

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Serge on August 11, 2016, 07:49:38 PM
'Remain In Light' is the one for me. I've played that bugger to death. Opening track, 'Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On)' is one of my favourite tracks of all time. But the whole album is magnificent. I love the bonus tracks on the remastered version as well, especially 'Right Start', where you can see the genesis of 'Once In A Lifetime' right before your, er, ears.
And yet, the tnotbits version of born under punches is infinitely better

Golden E. Pump

Tina Weymouth is an absolute monster of a bassist.

I cannot think of a better final single for any band than 'Sax & Violins'. What a truly cool song that is.

Glebe

Rather shamefully, I really only know the hits, but I've always been hugely fond of 'em.

One of my fave songs/vids ever.

Van Dammage

77 is an orgasmic album.

Bhazor

Theres something about Dancing for Money that has always been super cool to me for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL-SDVrOFkk

Bingo Fury

The first four albums: just sheer brilliance. It's so rare you come across creativity like that.

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on August 11, 2016, 11:43:18 PM

There's a lovely bit in one of the concert videos (I think it's Rome), where Tina gets to do a foot-on-the-monitor bit and soak up some acclaim from the crowd, and it feels so richly deserved after the huge amount she contributed to that band (and some of the shit she had to put up with from Byrne).

popcorn

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on August 11, 2016, 11:43:18 PM

Yeah she's ace. Though there is that one performance of Born Under Punches (I think) where she loses the beat and rejoins it at the wrong point and plays out of phase for the rest of the performance, creating the band's MADDEST POLYRHYTHM YET.

phantom_power

Finite/Alright is my favourite solo Byrne song, mainly because it is the only one I know (cheers Chris Morris)

Oh, and Warning Sign was sampled by Black Dog, electronic music fans

Head Gardener

I have this framed and hanging in my cave - I swapped it for some Beatles LP with an American chap I met in NY

greenman

One thing I would say is that Can predated the more overt African influences in the Heads by a couple of years with Sunshine Day and Night from Saw Delight and you have to believe Eno at least was listening.

MoonDust

I was going to listen to the albums suggested in the office today, but alas, the network is still down and I can't get on the Internet. Or do work for that matter.

phantom_power

Quote from: greenman on August 12, 2016, 10:26:21 AM
One thing I would say is that Can predated the more overt African influences in the Heads by a couple of years with Sunshine Day and Night from Saw Delight and you have to believe Eno at least was listening.

As did some Africans

Paaaaul

Quote from: greenman on August 12, 2016, 10:26:21 AM
Vivian Stanshall made an overtly African-influenced album in 1974, with Rebop Kwaku Baah who went on to play on Saw Delight.

wosl

Great band.  Want to wave a flag for Naked, which sometimes gets tagged as a bit of an underwhelming finale.  A lovely album, with some strong songs, and really beautifully paced and sequenced.  The Democratic Circus and The Facts Of Life combine to make a brilliant B-Side opening one-two.  I used to listen to The Facts Of Life over and over and over when it first came out: Byrne at his most which-side-is-he-on? sardonic, Chris Frantz' gorgeously measured, stately drum loop, and pedal-steel, bell chimes and someone on the fucking spoons coming in at the end!  It still sounds quite singular.

greenman

You listen to the Can track though and I think the use of African instrumentation/rhythm mirrors something like I Zimbra much more closely.

Danger Man

When you've done all the TH albums don't bother with Tom Tom Club, they're not very good.

wosl

L'Elephant is a good TTC track (nice bit of Adrian Belew moaning guitar), and they put out some great vids.  Love those Jimmy Rizzi drawings.

Avril Lavigne

One of my favourite bands ever, I've probably watched Stop Making Sense more than any other DVD I own. I love all their albums from 77 to True Stories but I tend to play Speaking in Tongues the most and I'm surprised it doesn't get as much love as the stuff that came before it.  I can see how some of the lyrics are far from Byrne's best though and some of the tracks are much better live.

I also prefer this early performance of 'The Girls Want To Be With The Girls' to the slower studio version. Interesting that they had the song fully formed in '76 but didn't put it on the first album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fbTZuZk4RU

ALSO-
http://image.rakuten.co.jp/jellybeans-select/cabinet/00903412/img61416703.jpg

Paaaaul

Quote from: greenman on August 12, 2016, 11:26:50 AM
You listen to the Can track though and I think the use of African instrumentation/rhythm mirrors something like I Zimbra much more closely.

If you say so.

Norton Canes

Just out of interest, what did you TH fans think of Little Creatures when it was released? Because isn't most of the band's stuff prior to that all post-rock and funky? What was it like getting an album full of country-tinged Americana? 

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 12, 2016, 02:19:57 PM
Just out of interest, what did you TH fans think of Little Creatures when it was released? Because isn't most of the band's stuff prior to that all post-rock and funky? What was it like getting an album full of country-tinged Americana?

Little Creatures was my gateway drug. I went backwards from there. I'd heard OIAL and BDTH, but that was about it. My friend would always rave about them. I would nod and then ignore him.

Years ago, was at someone's house with some others, and the houseowner put on a Talking Heads video album which had a video in which the band members revolve on the spot under coloured light.  Anyone know what that track would be as I don't recall?

Dannyhood91

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: buttgammon on August 11, 2016, 11:29:30 AM
With Remain in Light especially, there always seems to be something that I've never noticed before on every single listen.

I think the early CD masters of the TH back catalogue are very poor, there may be tons of things you're missing because they are virtually inaudible. Some guy on YouTube has transferred the MiniDisc versions of their albums to Flac, and uploaded them in full - RIL and FOM are virtually unrecognisable and i love them more than ever.

Bhazor

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 12, 2016, 02:49:02 PM
Years ago, was at someone's house with some others, and the houseowner put on a Talking Heads video album which had a video in which the band members revolve on the spot under coloured light.  Anyone know what that track would be as I don't recall?

Possibly a bit from the Love For Sale section from True Stories. An absolutely amazing film by the way though sadly based on Talking Heads worst album. That said the film version of the songs though are quite a bit better than the original album. Its a crying shame Byrne never did anymore acting. He had such a fun delivery and captivating look to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBQ0cbjFiPo

More True Stories because fuck you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA15oCKCYHM

greenman

Quote from: Paaaaul on August 12, 2016, 01:04:20 PM
If you say so.

I do, theres both less African instrumentation there and more importantly its in service of a fairly standard piece of blues rock relative to...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4cujrl