Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:32:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

THEE OH SEES

Started by alan nagsworth, August 13, 2016, 01:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

FUCKIN UNSTOPPABLE

ENDLESS WAVES OF CHEEKY SURF TWANG

JOHN GOES "WHOOOO!!!!"

TWO DRUMMERS GO APESHIT

EVERYONE IS DEAD WAVE OF MUTILATION

THE ONLY THING THAT REMAINS IS ONE MAN IN A SKIMPY VEST AND SHORTS EATING HIS GUITAR

LIKE AND SHARE IF YOU FUCKIN AGREE

RED WINE AND CIGARETTES ARE A DANGEROUS COMBO

*PLAYS THE DREAM ON ENDLESS REPEAT UNTIL COSMIC OBLIVION*

FUUUUCK OFF

Depressed Beyond Tables

Serge

I don't think they're anything special. I know people rave about them, but they've never done anything that's registered strongly in my brain. Not even that Eno-esque side project.

Gamma Ray

Yeah, just spunked north of fifty quid on the new one and the live in San Fran vinyls (Contraption on the latter is jammed out for almost twenty minutes, puts me in mind of when Queens used to do that with You Can't Quit Me ...). I would like to see the new incarnation with two drummers so hope that Dwyer uses the money to EXTEND THE UK TOUR.

hedgehog90

The new one's a bit disappointing.

non capisco

Quote from: hedgehog90 on August 14, 2016, 02:06:56 AM
The new one's a bit disappointing.

Ah, really? After two days listening I'd say it's the best one since 'Floating Coffin'. I am a bit biased with Thee Oh Sees though, they're one of my favourite bands. There's a lot of bands out there that seem like cut-rate imitations of either them or Ty Segall, or both simultaneously, but no-one does that blistering riff-led yelping attack like yer man Dwyer.

Gamma Ray

Well look at that, apparently they're playing the Coronet in London on September 2nd and I will indeed be present in said city on that date. I have purchased a ticket, anyone else (from here) going?

alan nagsworth

Yer man capisco is. I'm unfortunately already going to see Anaal Nathrakh.

I bloody love this album to be honest

non capisco

I am indeed going, Gamma Ray. The main support band The Blind Shake are also one of my absolute favourites. It's going to be a total party.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Gamma Ray on August 16, 2016, 01:28:39 PM
Well look at that, apparently they're playing the Coronet in London on September 2nd and I will indeed be present in said city on that date. I have purchased a ticket, anyone else (from here) going?

I'll do my best.

Gamma Ray

Totally dripping with sweat and beer thanks to Dwyer's irresistible force. Still, no one's gonna sit next to me on the tube.

non capisco

Quote from: Gamma Ray on September 02, 2016, 11:19:58 PM
Totally dripping with sweat and beer thanks to Dwyer's irresistible force. Still, no one's gonna sit next to me on the tube.

A sweaty rag of spent humanity all the way back to Penge on the 176. Worth it!

I loved that last sprawling thing they played that kept ramping up and going back down. Absolutely bloody love Dwyer, a true rock 'n' roll force of nature. My throat is sore this morning from yelping and hollering along. Great to see the Coronet completely packed out and bouncing for them.

Gamma Ray

The last track was Contraption/Soul Desert, jammed out like the version on the recent Live in San Francisco long player. I saw them a few years ago and that was one of the tracks that really stuck with me - you don't think it can get any more intense and then it just does.

I'd had a hard day daddin' and was pretty knackered so started up in the seated area but the only way to really experience the band is front and central so that's where I ended up. I saw one of the security guys mouth 'mental' to his mate, maybe due to the increasing number of crowd surfers and stage divers, maybe due to the relentlessly sweaty morass of the mosh pit which they were kind enough to occasionally spray water over. Did you see the guy that got up on stage in front of the drummers? He started backing into their kits so they gave him a good whack to send him on his way.

What was up with the queue to get in? I saw a lot more of Elephant and Castle than I'd planned on.

non capisco

Ah yes, course it was 'Contraption'! It had gone into another realm by the end, bassline aside. That two drummer lineup is so tight by now. There's some beautiful psychic alchemy going on with that extended stuff they were doing in the second half of the set. I do miss Brigid Dawson being in the live band though. Did you catch The Blind Shake's set as well? They're pretty much my favourite new band.

Ha, yeah, that queue was daft, as was the broken metal detector that went batshit at literally anyone walking through it.

alan nagsworth

I saw GY!BE at the Coronet the other week and the queue was presumably the same as what you're alluding to: stretching a mile round the fucking corner. And this was 15 minutes before the headliners were due on. Utterly bizarre.

Man, I can't see how anyone could dislike this band, at least in the sense of respecting the oomph of their work without actually enjoying it. Sure, doing slight variations of the same damn thing, but it's done with such spectacular conviction, and that's honestly what it's about with this sort of music isn't it? There's a lot of truth in "it's not what you say, it's how you say it", and they say it louder than any other garage/punk band with their platform right now. Spectacular good fun all the way. The new record is definitely one of their best. John mate if you're reading this just keep doing that atomic ray gun guitar thing and yelping like a mad cunt and you're golden.

capisco, I'm fairly certain that they closed with that epic Contraption when we last saw them together!

Red Lantern

I got in at 7.30 so didn't have to queue, but a friend came later and it took him about 30 minutes to get in. Both supports were ace. All I could think of during The Bald Shake was this place.

I lasted 20 minutes in the(e) Oh Sees mosh pit before withdrawing, wringing wet with sweat. I still feel absolutely battered two days later. 'Twas worth it though. Great gig.

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 04, 2016, 02:58:23 PM
capisco, I'm fairly certain that they closed with that epic Contraption when we last saw them together!

You know what, they bloody did and all. Just goes to show the kinds of basic reveries I drift off to whenever I'm watching Dwyer and his merry men tear venues a new one. 'Basically I like the bit where it goes DANGANANGANANGANANG....YELP!'

non capisco

Quote from: Red Lantern on September 04, 2016, 03:31:44 PM
Both supports were ace. All I could think of during The Bald Shake was this place.

Probably because I'm forever bollocking on about them, as well as the bald thing. If you haven't already check out their 'Breakfast Of Failures' album because it is IMMENSE.

Pepotamo1985

Fashionably late to the party here, as I so often am, but anyway;

Finally had a chance to listen to this in full a few times today and I think it's absolutely brilliant. As with all the best TOS record, it expands upon the foundations laid by the previous release while evolving in new, exciting directions. For all their balls to the fuckin' wall energy and strident exuberance, the band's ability to subvert structures and styles in uncharted, unique ways is almost as important. I was repeatedly thrown by the album, even when I'd listened to songs before, when songs seamlessly changed tack and ended up in unexpected, interesting places. Definitely one of their best to date.

sevendaughters

Super band. Was fortunate enough to put Coachwhips, OCS (pre-Oh Sees acoustic project), and finally Bridget-era Thee Oh Sees on in my crap northern hometown. Incredible live. Dwyer's a real hard worker, a total slavedriver of a bandleader. Remember them starting up a song when I caught them at a festival in Utrecht and just stopping it after 15 seconds to berate the drummer for being mildly out. They probably do too much for the casual listener to keep up with. Feel like I only just digested Mutilator when Weird Exits came out. Still, I think this run is going to be well-regarded by the small subset of people who give a shit about this in the future.

non capisco

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 15, 2016, 04:09:06 PM
Coachwhips

Nice one man. Big fan, as you've possibly gleaned from the avatar. I would kill to see them do all of 'Bangers Vs. Fuckers' live.

sevendaughters

Quote from: non capisco on September 15, 2016, 06:43:21 PM
Nice one man. Big fan, as you've possibly gleaned from the avatar. I would kill to see them do all of 'Bangers Vs. Fuckers' live.

think we had them on the tour where they were playing stuff off Peanut Butter but there were plenty of numbers from that one, people were upside down during 'Dancefloor, Bathroom'. killer band. really nice guy actually, not saying we were tight, just very personable and professional. his profile had risen the third time he came to town but didn't act above it though he'd probably be playing rooms 5/10 times the size with fatter guarantees. wish I'd seen Pink & Brown. never that into Hospitals tho.