Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:50:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anonymised characters in biopics

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, August 13, 2016, 10:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Sid And Nancy features a scene where John, Sid and Nancy hang out with US rock star "Rock Head". Who is of course Iggy Pop.

The Edie Sedgwick biopic Factory Girl has Joaquin Phoenix as a nameless rock star. Who is very obviously Bob Dylan.

Relatedly: Invented or Conflated characters.

The notorious example is Donald Sutherland in JFK, who allegedly represents several different Pentagon sources who spoke to Jim Garrison. David Niven's character in The First Of The Few is also a fusion of 2 real people to create a single narrator of the entire story.

And those films take us on to Invented historical scenes.

Ambient Sheep

When a friend and I first saw Pink Floyd: The Wall (at the Odeon Leicester Square, no less), when the standard "...bear no relation to anyone living or dead..." disclaimer scrolled up at the end of the credits, my friend just burst out laughing.  Understandably so.

Serge

Arlen Hird, the character that Louis CK plays in 'Trumbo' is apparently an amalgam of five other people. Though, good as it is, the film does play fast and loose with actual history quite a few times (I still think it's bad that they had Edward G Robinson giving them all up at a hearing, which he didn't do in real life.)