Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:45:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I've got something to say, Fucking Windows wanking piece of crap

Started by Bilko, February 17, 2004, 11:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

european son

Quote from: "Matthias"stuff

i really should've put a *wink* on my post. i've never even touched an ST. they could be fabulous for all i know. i was kidding. i've not had a serious debate about the merits of the Amiga vs the ST since i was 12, and i'd like it to stay that way.

(the A1200 did piss on the Falcon though)

Matthias

Do you remember the first time you saw Shadow of The Beast on the Amiga? Do you remember the first time you heard the soundtrack to it?

Shame it was shite to play.

Bilko

Quote from: "Matthias"Do you remember the first time you saw Shadow of The Beast on the Amiga? Do you remember the first time you heard the soundtrack to it?

I had an Amiga as well and got that game along with Days of Thunder and Back to Future with the machine. I remember Days of Thunder the better because it was the first game I ever saw and played that was in 3-D and you could replay your attempts from differnet camera angles. That was the best Christmas I ever had 1990. The game was pretty shit though.

blue jammer

Quote from: "Matthias"Better for games. But the ST was better for everything else. It had a built in MIDI port and the sequencing software was ahead of everything else at the time.

In many recording studios, you can still find a STacy - a laptop ST - running sequencing software.

I used to hate Cubase, and never bothered with an ST, as I came from a Commodore background, Plus 4>> Amiga A500 and thought Music X 2 was much more user friendly.

Couldn't use it now though, I've since got hooked with Cubase VST, it ROKS!

Gazeuse

Sherringford Hovis

You all fuckin' miwyon-airs, or what?

Rosegarden - that's a REAL music prog.

Cheese Arse H Christ

Fuck all y'all. I used to play space invaders using IBM punchards that had to be sent off to be processed, giving a frame rate of about 2 per week

Gamma Ray

Quote from: "Cheese Arse H Christ"Fuck all y'all. I used to play space invaders using IBM punchards that had to be sent off to be processed, giving a frame rate of about 2 per week

Y'know you may complain about nobody bothering to read your posts, but you're one of the funniest fuckers here. I find your more technically minded posts pretty useful too, but because some of em ain't so easy to cross reference (like the altering some registry entry to prevent worm infection one) you never can tell if it's your idea of a joke to fuck with people who don't pay enough attention ...

And no, I don't love Cocky Sucky Corporation.

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Matthias"Do you remember the first time you saw Shadow of The Beast on the Amiga? Do you remember the first time you heard the soundtrack to it?

Wise fwom your gwave!

daveytaylor

Quote from: "Cheese Arse H Christ"Fuck all y'all. I used to play space invaders using IBM punchards that had to be sent off to be processed, giving a frame rate of about 2 per week

Did you consider a postal strike to be simply the pressing of a pause key, a chance to reevaluate your tactics or hardware slowdown caused by too many aliens on the screen at one time?

Cheese Arse H Christ

terminallyrelaxed

Oh come on I was only teasing, it was a hardly a concerted slur on the PC world, and the second, with the article, well its not the sort of thing you take seriously is it? Have to say though, ccab's anit-Mac rant is qualified by his "fucking horrible to use" comment - a prime example bad personal experience. And it all depends on your user experience.
I didnt have much use for Macs before OS 9 and X, and didnt much like 9, and will attest to its propensity to crash. But with OS 9, much like 2000 and XP, if built properly can be very stable. Its all about knowing your platform. Anyone who's tried to apply a generic windows build across a group of similar-spec Compaqs or whatever will know it isnt that simple, they won't all run perfectly, as their not all the same inside. The first generation iMacs' CD tray span too fucking fast, and needs a firmware update. A Mac can run Os 9 like a dog if its Memory, System and Font settings aren't set right. No-one said they're perfect.  But once their built proper like.... Anyway I launched into all this because I was frankly horrified that you thought Photoshop ran slow on the Mac you were forced to use, ccab,  and running graphics and compositing poorly, well, I can only suggest you get the IT guy sacked, as they clearly aren't configured right, or have enough RAM, or something reasonably simple. Those things are what Macs are for ccab. Its the only reason they've survived.
I happen to completely agree with you about Bill Gates. As much as people love to have a dig at the man, I usually can't be bothered as he has indeed brought computers to the masses and quite literally changed the world. Others will winge on about Apple inventing the GUI (not strictly true) and BSD being more elegant etc etc but he did it, he put it all together in a workable package and let everyone else worry about the hardware. Fair play to the man. Koreans are online as we speak. Gudjarratis are taking their accoutancy exams, and its all thanks to Bill's initiative. Its only the sloppy software releases that really get my goat, and the endless patches, the rest of it, well, if Windows was perfect I'd be out of a job.
Matthias has it pretty much right there, in his run-down of the computer world.