Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:35:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Arrival.

Started by Glebe, August 17, 2016, 01:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

elliszeroed

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 14, 2016, 11:44:27 AM

this old painting reminded me of the film, a bit

Who made the painting? I can't find it via google.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: elliszeroed on November 23, 2021, 08:32:03 PMWho made the painting? I can't find it via google.

Goran Djurovic ("The Red Dress"). Sorry for co-bumping an ancient thread but questions must be answered if the answers are known!

Dex Sawash

I saw this film, I think

Haha, yeah, me too. One of his better films, which isn't saying a lot.
Christ, "enemy" is one of his better films and that's dogshit.

Head Gardener

Quote from: elliszeroed on November 23, 2021, 08:32:03 PMWho made the painting? I can't find it via google.

ah yes I see someone has replied

Noodle Lizard

I was astonished to meet someone recently who had this as their number 1 sci-fi film. I'd more or less completely forgotten about it after the awards season and assumed everyone else had too.

The discussion began with them not being concerned about Villeneuve re-doing Blade Runner or Dune because he'd "already made a sci-fi better than both". I can just about comprehend someone finding Arrival better than David Lynch's Dune (I'd disagree, but it's arguable), but Blade Runner?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I liked Arrival well enough until that Ocean Walker ending.

Villeneuve's follow up sci-fi efforts are big wads of nothing in particular.

13 schoolyards

Villeneuve is one of those directors who can make a decent film out of something exceptional. The short story Arrival is based on is really good - a lot better than Hollywood's usual SF source material - and he turned it into a slightly better-than-average blockbuster.

It's depressing that he's become Warners' go-to guy for science fiction, because he doesn't seem to have any feel for the genre. I'm still trying to figure out why, when you're making a sequel to Blade Runner, a film with one of the more memorable final fights and an absolutely classic end speech, you'd go with "a couple of guys have a fight on a dark beach in the rain and nobody says anything"