Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:18:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Made" for life

Started by Deadman97, November 08, 2004, 11:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadman97

I'd like to know of any cultural luminaries who you all consider forever worthy of your valuable worship, even though they might have toppled off the ziggurat of brilliance they climbed in their hayday.
My two, off the top of my head-

John Carpenter- Even if he remade Ghosts of Mars for the rest of his career, we'll always have Hallowe'en, The Thing etc.

Metallica- Done fuck all of note for about a decade now, but Puppets, man, FUCKING PUPPETS!

Oh, three actually- Our man Morris. Who really in their hearts gives a fuck how BoS turns out? He's Made for life.

Huzzie

I take it these people have to be living.

Don Van Vliet

William S Burroughs

Johnny Marr

gazzyk1ns

Radiohead and Blur. I hated both of their latest albums apart from a single track (Blur's "Out Of Time", which I absolutely loved) but they'll never be anything apart from two of my favourite bands.

Deadman97

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Radiohead and Blur. I hated both of their latest albums apart from a single track (Blur's "Out Of Time", which I absolutely loved) but they'll never be anything apart from two of my favourite bands.

Yeah, Radiohead would probably have been fourth. Richard D James, p'raps.

slim

I would say Will Self, but I'm not sure how far they're allowed to fall. For example, were he to start writing propaganda for the BNP I'd be somewhat incensed.

Rats

Mark E Smith, still got it. David Lynch, I'd watch it even if he filmed paint drying. Mike Patton, fart into a dictaphone, I'm handing over my money. Bjork, bidee bidee beep beep, something about whales. John and John, the twin quazars of rock, wether they ever better their debut or not, it still exists (although state songs came very very close).

gazzyk1ns

I was watching some cack I'd recorded on video the other day and after it ended, it "fuzzed" into Bjork on TFI Friday in about 1996. I watched and saw her talk in her awkward accent about nothing, and though "Heh, a lot of people on VWs would probably love this"

Huzzie

I would agree with Rats on David Lynch too actually.

Going seeing the Fall again soon.

Hey Rats, if you (and a mate if you wanted) fancied a trip down to Manchester I could sort you out with a couple of tickets. BUt I suppose they will play up there at some point anyway.

Rats

Yeah, they'll be back soon enough, I'm keeping an eye out, cheers for the offer though.

Huzzie

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"I was watching some cack I'd recorded on video the other day and after it ended, it "fuzzed" into Bjork on TFI Friday in about 1996. I watched and saw her talk in her awkward accent about nothing, and though "Heh, a lot of people on VWs would probably love this"

I remember that. I thought she was brilliant. Was she sat at the bar? She wasn't sat at Chris' table was she?

I love Berjorkers. Was never particularly into her music but I think she is a wonderful character, a great personality. Very clever and very witty. She is also beautiful.

I used to fancy the pants off her:-)

gazzyk1ns

Yeah she was perched at the bar when Chris introduced her and went to get her and the whole thing seemed awkward to me, she didn't really seem to know how a standard TV programme worked let alone something like TFI Friday in its infancy. Evans, much as I was a big fan of the show back then (no sarcasm intended), seemed to be smarming around her for no reason other than self-promotion. Much like my exposure to John Peel, I've never really paid any attention to Bjork and so people endlessly saying how unique and talented she is grates on me... though I realise that I have no valid view on the matter as I've just dodged relevant "research".

Purple Tentacle

Rats

Check out a couple of tracks by the sugarcubes gazzy if you've never heard them. I saw her when she was on TFI a few times, chris was just fawning all over her, trying to get in her pants. It was sickening, he's very slimey.

DonkeyRhubarb

Quote from: "Huzzie"I take it these people have to be living.

Don Van Vliet

William S Burroughs

Johnny Marr

Yeah, I'd agree with those. I would love to see Don Van Vliet come out of retirement, but with his illness that aint gonna happen.

I went to see the Magic Band at the Bridgewater Hall earlier on in the year, it was great but at the same time very sad, I just kept expecting the Captain to walk on stage at any minute. Drumbo did a good job with the vocals though.

There is a Magic Band reunion DVD out later this month. My friend ordered it months ago and in October he got a letter saying that there was a delay with the release because they were waiting for John Peel to record an introduction. I really hope he managed to get round to it as it would be a complete travesty if he didn't.

I'm going to that Fall gig as well, one of the band members works part-time for us when they're not gigging or in the studio, it's gonna be our works Xmas do. Seen them a few times before and Mark E Smith is just one of the most enigmatic and electrical frontmen ever to grace a stage, they'll never be another one like him.

My contribution would be Brian Eno, he made some great solo albums in the 70's after Roxy Music Here Come the Warm Jets and Taking Tiger Mountain By Stratagey, but I think it will be his inovative production skills for which he will be remembered. He's been involved in some great collaborations over the years, checkout My Life In The Bush Of Ghost with David Byrne, or the forgotten and underrated album he did with James called Wah Wah, re-discovered it last week, brilliant!

falafel

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Yeah she was perched at the bar when Chris introduced her and went to get her and the whole thing seemed awkward to me, she didn't really seem to know how a standard TV programme worked let alone something like TFI Friday in its infancy. Evans, much as I was a big fan of the show back then (no sarcasm intended), seemed to be smarming around her for no reason other than self-promotion. Much like my exposure to John Peel, I've never really paid any attention to Bjork and so people endlessly saying how unique and talented she is grates on me... though I realise that I have no valid view on the matter as I've just dodged relevant "research".

Well, you're doing much better than half of my friends who say, when I mention that they might want to have a listen to Homogenic, that "I can't stand the bitch. It's just shouting and whispering. And she's bloody mad too. Can't fucking stand her. Don't stand there trying to tell me Bjork's good, you bastard. She's shit!" If I then ask them what they've heard of her music, they'll say "Oh, I dunno, didn't she do that 'Oh So Quiet' song a while ago?"

It seems to be a common thing - to assume that the woman is 'difficult' and 'weird', when all bar the most retarded of music listeners could find something to like in "Big Time Sensuality" or 'Batchelorette'.

Anyway, on the other hand, I wouldn't bat an eyelid if she released an album of electronically modified fart noises, so I guess she's "made" in my head as well.

Huzzie

My reply is in bold

Quote from: "DONKEY"

Yeah, I'd agree with those. I would love to see Don Van Vliet come out of retirement, but with his illness that aint gonna happen.

Unfortunately this is true, although he has actually recorded something recently, it was just him singing a happy birthday song down the phone for some charity cd or something but interesting none the less.

I went to see the Magic Band at the Bridgewater Hall earlier on in the year, it was great but at the same time very sad, I just kept expecting the Captain to walk on stage at any minute. Drumbo did a good job with the vocals though.

I went to their first gig at Shepherds Bush, the ticket and a night in a hotel in Soho was a birthday pressie from my parents. Drumbo was amazing! He really pulled it off. I got to meet Gary "Magic" MArker at the after show do, he seemed like a great guy. Hehe, I made a funny:-). He was telling me and the girl I was with that someone collapsed at the front and had to be taken out, I gagged "it must feel like you are in the Beatles having people faint at your shows" he laughed and I felt smug:-) I should have gone to that Bridgewater Hall gig but something else came up, I think United were playing an important match or something, I just left my dad and my Uncle to go

There is a Magic Band reunion DVD out later this month. My friend ordered it months ago and in October he got a letter saying that there was a delay with the release because they were waiting for John Peel to record an introduction. I really hope he managed to get round to it as it would be a complete travesty if he didn't.

That sounds great! I hadn't heard about that although a friend gave me the latest Magic Band cd a bit ago, it is basically the band we saw live, playing the tracks in the same way (some live, some with John French singing) as they did live. It's really good, I would be happy to do you a copy if you like and send it over to Leve

I'm going to that Fall gig as well, one of the band members works part-time for us when they're not gigging or in the studio, it's gonna be our works Xmas do. Seen them a few times before and Mark E Smith is just one of the most enigmatic and electrical frontmen ever to grace a stage, they'll never be another one like him.

Who is the member you know? The friend who I mentioned got me that Magic Band CD was the guitarist in the Fall for a bit (Actually you no doubt have heard of him, he is Marc Riley, AKA Lard) and I have met a few of them, though Don't know them properly. I don't suppose a band by the name of "Forest" rings a bell to you, does it? I have seen The Fall a few times too, though I would never claim to be a huge fan. Though I think I probably would be if I went out of my way to pay some real attention to them. Were you at the Rockworld gig they did at the end of the 90's by anychance? Do you think Smithy was being enigmatic there?:-)

By the way DOnkey and I always bring this up whenever someone mentions Beefheart on here, some Verbwhores who have noticed me do it a few times before no doubt I am a dick for it but I am proud of it anyway. If you play guitar and fancy learning any Beefheart tracks, you should go over to  Beefheart.com which is a site I work on (used to), I was the in house guitar transcriber. If you do play guitar I would love you to maybe have a crack at some Beefheart tabs and send them over to me so I can get them on the site. Especially the slide part to Big Eyed Beans from Venus! Zoot Horn Rollo has got to be in the top 5 rock/blues guitarists ever by the way.

Anyway Deadman and everyone else, I'm very sorry for writing a personal off topic post here, if my convo with DonkeyRhubarb goes any further we will do it with private messages. Sorry.

EDIT: I did say that my list would be living and then went ahead and put down Burroughs... Doh!

MrManson

Robert DeNiro.

He's doing his damned to shit on his legacy though, I mean... Have you seen Godsend?!

Rats

Hehe, remember the time when you could say "well, de niro's in it, so it must be good"? Now you say "De Niro's in it? ... Is Adam Sandler in it?"

RFT

Shaun Ryder.
everything up to and including the first black grape album is pure gold.

Morrissey
Just because you can;t have Marr on the list without him as well- and he seems to be back on form.

James Brown
no justification needed.

Mediocre Rich

Jonathon More and Matthew Black (Coldcut, Ninja Tune head honcho's, original DJ Food)
Never ever made a bad record. Never ever released someone elses bad record.

Edit: For clarity, Muteki is right god damn him!

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Armando Iannucci - he could take the lead in Eastenders, and write for the Daily Mail, but all will be forgiveable for On the Hour, The Day Today, KMKY, Friday Night Armistice, I'm Alan Partridge, and The Armando Iannucci Shows. I didn't particularly Gash, but I don't mind.

Gary Larson - I think he's going to do only one more Far Side - or perhaps none at all - but I adore the Galleries, and though he's not extremely famous (and that's to his advantage), he's one of the greatest cartoonists of our age.

Gamma Ray

Hunter S Thompson - not as relentlessly (and therefore depressingly) accurate
as he once was, but then again he never was concerned with consistency.

Brant Bjork - Makes the most beautiful music of all the desert people, and that is saying something.

Joshua Homme - In my opinion has (nearly ...) never written a bad song, and has a very subtle sense of humour.

If you can include dead people, Ken Kesey. The man was about 1'000 years ahead of his time. Or maybe not, ¿eh?