Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:27:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CORBYN TWELVE (you know where to put your mark)

Started by NoSleep, August 21, 2016, 11:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Labour members/supporters:  Who did you vote for?

Jeremy Corbyn
55 (61.8%)
Owen Smith
16 (18%)
An tSaoi
18 (20.2%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Lemming

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3760248/I-m-not-wealthy-claims-Jeremy-Corbyn-despite-earning-138-000-year-owning-600-000-home-1-6million-pension.html

Sorry for Mail link.

QuoteI'm not wealthy claims Jeremy Corbyn, despite earning £138,000 a-year, owning a £600,000 home and £1.6million pension
Corbyn paid five times average salary but doesn't see himself as wealthy
Earns £74,962 a-year MPs' salary and £62,440 as leader of the opposition
Labour leader immediately branded 'out of touch' over comments
Corbyn campaign asks for £10 donations to help manage 'selfie queues'

Jeremy Corbyn today said he does not consider himself wealthy, despite earning more than £137,000 a-year, owning a £600,000 home and a £1.6million pension. 
The Labour leader was announcing a new policy to fund the arts during a visit to Edinburgh as he said high arts such as ballet and opera should not be the preserve of the wealthy, adding: 'I don't consider myself high-brow or wealthy, but I still enjoy some aspects of classical music.'
He was immediately branded 'out of touch,' with critics pointing out he earns five times the average UK salary.

Mr Corbyn earns £74,962 as an MP and an extra £62,440 as Leader of the Opposition.
In total, this amounts to more than five times the average UK salary of £26,500.

Interesting angle of attack from the media over this, not sure I've seen Corbyn being painted as an out-of-touch elite before now.

NoSleep

Well, that puts him in the same category as all the out of touch elites that are in power at the moment. Perhaps it will make him more "electable".

Blumf

If anything, that house price seems cheap for London, so it must be a real crap shack. (I'm sure the Mail took into account that he's had it since the 80's (IIRC) when prices weren't so pants-on-head stupid)

Salary and pension are just standard MP stuff. What lucrative private sector directorship/advisor positions does he have lined up for retirement though, eh? Bet Goldman Sachs or Monsanto have got dibs on him. Maybe on of those rail franchises as well.

Buelligan

I have a feeling we've discussed this before (but simply can't be arsed to look for it). 

Jeremy's obviously a very wealthy man, with all the trappings, including a bicycle and his own shoes.  Amazingly, for Owen Smith, despite all those big jobs for big pharma, there's no mention of his personal wealth at all on the big internet to compare.  I'm sure he's not "wealthy" like fat cat Jezzer though.   

BlodwynPig

QuoteHe was immediately branded 'out of touch,' with critics pointing out he earns five times the average UK salary.

who branded him?

Dr Rock

His flat doesn't look very impressive from the outside. 'Wealthy' has connotations of a lot more money. Chris Rock explains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeOUty4SWvI

Replies From View

"ARRRGH!  IT'S TOO MUCH!!"

I hope that it never stopped gushing out like that and Branson could never put the bottle down, either.

Dr Rock

QuoteLast year most property sales in London involved flats which sold for on average £490,711. Terraced properties sold for an average price of £633,746, while semi-detached properties fetched £616,044

His house is worth a little less than average for London.

Konki

Earning £138,000 a year I don't blame him for not resigning.

Replies From View

Quote from: Konki on August 27, 2016, 12:34:38 PM
Earning £138,000 a year I don't blame him for not resigning.

Perhaps they have to work the whole year to get any of the money at all.

HappyTree

Because Tories have no human empathy, they think you have to be poor yourself to be able to care about the poor. They think you only care about the poor because you're poor yourself and want to be rich for yourself. They think the only motivation for wanting things to be better is personal envy.

This is true for a Tory. A Tory will sneer and belittle anyone needing benefits to survive, while claiming all the MP benefits going, and then some. They see no hypocrisy in doing so because they're physically incapable of turning their judging finger back on themselves. And the millisecond they find themselves in a bit of need they see no problem in asking for, nay, expecting all the help in the world.

So I can't get very excited about Tories and their diseased media moaning about, well, anything really. When all is said and done, Jeremy Corbyn has won and will win again purely due to popular support from human beings. Not due to spin or propaganda or bullshit hypocrisy and smearing. Simply due to democracy. The Blairites, Tories, corrupt media and ignorant cunts supporting them can cry all they want. It doesn't matter.

Johnny Yesno

Kelvin

Quote from: HappyTree on August 27, 2016, 01:38:07 PM
Because Tories have no human empathy, they think you have to be poor yourself to be able to care about the poor.
Actually I think that criticism is as true, if not more true, of the left.

Buelligan

I see what you mean but I don't think that's what HappyTree meant. 

At the end of the day though, I'm poor as fuck and I don't want more, I just want to know that I can get ill and won't be left to starve or die and when I do die, someone will offer me a paracetamol to ease the pain.  All the rest can get to fuck.

NoSleep

https://heavymetalpolitics.wordpress.com/2016/08/27/labour-purge-10-reasons-for-hope/

QuoteIn the wake of "Labour Purge 2," it's easy to become despondent.

Here are 10 reasons to be hopeful

Danger Man

Quote from: HappyTree on August 27, 2016, 01:38:07 PM
This is true for a Jew. A Jew will sneer and belittle anyone needing benefits to survive, while claiming all the MP benefits going, and then some. They see no hypocrisy in doing so because they're physically incapable of turning their judging finger back on themselves. And the millisecond they find themselves in a bit of need they see no problem in asking for, nay, expecting all the help in the world.

Makes about as much sense as what you actually posted.

14 million people voted Tory in 1992. That's 14 million people without human empathy?

NoSleep

Replies From View

Danger Man

Quote from: NoSleep on August 27, 2016, 04:17:44 PM
I'm afraid so.

It's opinions like this that make Labour's eventual destruction a good thing.

Twed

I think they have empathy (on the whole), I just think that like almost all people they're so caught up in their idea of how things should work that they pursue them obsessively. I've realised over that past few years that people's biases aren't particularly conscious biases. They just can't see that (for example) rampant corporatism and the free market isn't inherently a good thing, and so they try to force everybody in that directions.

Tories cry too. Fuck, one of the Trump supporters I know is the person I've seen in tears at other people's pain more than anything else. It's confusing.

Quote from: Buelligan on August 27, 2016, 03:42:05 PM
At the end of the day though, I'm poor as fuck and I don't want more, I just want to know that I can get ill and won't be left to starve or die and when I do die, someone will offer me a paracetamol to ease the pain.  All the rest can get to fuck.

I think it would do a lot of people a lot of good if society at large was more comfortable with the inverse relationship between the pursuit of wealth and happiness, and if we could all live happily on "just enough". The innate human desire for excess wealth decreasing quality of living is becoming more starkly apparent as we've built the infrastructure, technology and resources well enough that all people could be housed, fed and have their health looked after equally.

NoSleep

It is encouraging that the most recent bunch of less-aging Tories-in-charge are such a bunch of privileged cunts. The grassroots members are all hankering to push up daisies with nobody to replace them. The next generation of Tory politicians will be even more of the same inbred qualities.

Replies From View

Quote from: Danger Man on August 27, 2016, 04:22:33 PM

How would the destruction of Labour erase opinions like that one from NoSleep?

NoSleep

Danger Man

Quote from: Replies From View on August 27, 2016, 04:24:22 PM
How would the destruction of Labour erase opinions like that one from NoSleep?

It wouldn't. Blue vs Red is just two different types of selfishness. A decent society wouldn't have either party.

NoSleep

So you're an extreme centrist? Where shall we place it?

Buelligan

Quote from: Danger Man on August 27, 2016, 04:22:33 PM

That's not very empathic.

Danger Man

Quote from: NoSleep on August 27, 2016, 04:30:57 PM
So you're an extreme centrist? Where shall we place it?

We're all in the bottom corner of that green box on that "what's you political beliefs?" website.

I'm a Liberal, and probably always will be, though these are bad times to be one.

NoSleep

And you're against the most (actually) liberal leader of a political party we've had for at least many years (apart from maybe the Greens).