Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,472
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:32:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New and upcoming movies / documentaries (trailers etc)

Started by surreal, August 21, 2016, 11:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

I'm sure we had a trailers thread but I couldn't find it so I thought I'd start a new one for some interesting upcoming things:

Hidden Figures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK8xHq6dfAo
Story of three black women working at NASA during the space race.  Good cast (except for when I spotted Jim "typecasting" Parsons... Taraji Henson can do no wrong in my book, looking forward to this.

Arrival: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMo3UJ4B4g
This is the movie version of "Story of your Life" by Ted Chiang.  Alien contact, without the war aspect. 

Couple of quirky ones:

Zoom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFRUtSbNp6g
I have no idea but Alison Pill is always worth a look

Girl Asleep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfpcbbv9V5g
This just screams Napoleon Dynamite, looks amusing though.

Finally a couple of documentaries:

Do Not Resist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zt7bl5Z_oA
A look at the militarisation of the US police force.

Dying Laughing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVknI3MqzgQ
This one should be made for this place, all about stand-up comedy

Glebe

Guardians Official Trailer (2017) - Superhero Movie [ENG SUB].

There's a bit of slightly-dodgy CG in there and a guy who's ripped off Bucky from the Marvel flicks, but that's a pretty impressive looking piece of work. Proper Hollywood job.

Glebe

Rings.

Sadako Samara's back and attacking Jessica Alba or summit.

Glebe

Kim Jee-Wong's The Age of Shadows.

The only film of his I've actually seen is A Tale of Two Sisters, which I only saw once, yonks ago. I think I thought it was just okay... he's an interesting director, though.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Glebe on September 07, 2016, 12:44:06 PM
Kim Jee-Wong's The Age of Shadows.

The only film of his I've actually seen is A Tale of Two Sisters, which I only saw once, yonks ago. I think I thought it was just okay... he's an interesting director, though.

I wasn't that keen on A Tale Of Two Sisters, but I Saw The Devil is tremendous. A really black comedy. Or a psychological horror film. Or a revenge thriller. I'm not sure.

Glebe

imitationleather

I guess this sort-of fits in here: Louis Theroux's much delayed debut film My Scientology Movie appears to be finally getting a general release, a mere year since it was first screened at the London Film Festival. I've heard 7th October touted as the date, although you'd expect publicity to now be going in to overdrive if it really was coming out then. I have no idea why any of you would have any more solid info on this, but does anyone?

Personally, 7th October would be quite convenient a release for me as it means I can do something on my birthday apart from crying and wanking about how I have no friends in Newcastle and wish I was back in London.

Has anyone seen Tickled yet? Or Lo and Behold? They're my two most highly anticipated docs this year. Just can't seem to be able to a find them online.

Glebe

Terrence Malick's forthcoming IMAX doc Voyage of Time really deserves it's own thread, but seeing as how I'm none too au fait with Malick's filmography (for shame!), I'm not really the right person to start it... anyhoo, here's some trailers and a featurette. Looks gorgeous:

Voyage Of Time: The IMAX Experience trailer.

Trailer #1.

Trailer #2.

IMAX® Presents: Voyage of Time.

Glebe

Christine trailer.

Look's interesting. The incident sounds familiar.

WARNING! Do not watch if squeamish:

Morgan Spurlock's Rats trailer.

Glebe

Here's a trailer for+footage from Alexander Jodorowsky's latest (with French subs only, alas), Poesía sin fin (Endless Poetry).

I'm rather ashamed to say that the only one of his films I've seen in Santa Sangre, which was enjoyable, arty oddness. Anyway, as a special Brucie bonus, here's the Cannes poster:

Also, here's an English-language (dubbed, not subbed, sadly)  trailer for Russian superhero tale Guardians... here's the original Russian trailers. The CG's a mite dodgy, but it looks like spirited fun.

Blumf

Quote from: Glebe on September 17, 2016, 04:36:02 AM
Also, here's an English-language (dubbed, not subbed, sadly)  trailer for Russian superhero tale Guardians... here's the original Russian trailers. The CG's a mite dodgy, but it looks like spirited fun.

Looks fun, if a fair bit cheesy.

If you're in the market for Russian action/fantasy/superhero thingy give Night Watch (2004) a try (and the books it's based on are apparently very good, according to the wife) The sequel Day Watch isn't quiet as good, but the first film is definitely worth a punt.

Glebe

Quote from: Blumf on September 17, 2016, 12:43:32 PMLooks fun, if a fair bit cheesy.

If you're in the market for Russian action/fantasy/superhero thingy give Night Watch (2004) a try (and the books it's based on are apparently very good, according to the wife) The sequel Day Watch isn't quiet as good, but the first film is definitely worth a punt.

The weird thing is, I've seen Night Watch... except I don't think I sat through the whole thing.

Wet Blanket

The longer cut has grown on me since seeing on the big screen the last time it got a re-release.

The original trailer is a work of art in its own right, there was no need for this new conventional one.   

So I saw Herzog's Lo and Behold: Reveries in a Connected World[nb]Thanks to a helpful CaBber[/nb] and.... he's still got it!

mothman

Laurence! Pratt! Spaceships! Looks nice. But I can hear a lot of written SF on long-didtance space missions pinging in the back of my mind.

https://youtu.be/7BWWWQzTpNU

Glebe

Quote from: mothman on September 20, 2016, 05:59:55 PMLaurence! Pratt! Spaceships! Looks nice. But I can hear a lot of written SF on long-didtance space missions pinging in the back of my mind.

https://youtu.be/7BWWWQzTpNU

Well, it looks pretty...

Featuring Alien hibernation pods!

[FAKE EDIT]

Birth of the Dragon.

Interesting subject matter, but it look's a little cheesy.

The Whole Truth.

That's Renée Zellweger?! Obviously lost a ton of weight and aged since the new Bridget Jones. Hey look, it's Jim Belushi!

Glebe

Dr Rock

Quote from: Glebe on September 21, 2016, 11:18:29 AM

That's Renée Zellweger?! Obviously lost a ton of weight and aged since the new Bridget Jones. Hey look, it's Jim Belushi!

She had that plastic surgery which made her look totally different - I was surprised that she looked a bit like her old self for the Bridget Jones Baby. Probably cgi or something.

Kermode gave Bridget Jones Baby a reasonably favourable review btw, don't know how good or bad it is, but I bet it's his tin ear for comedy coming through again.

Glebe

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 22, 2016, 02:06:39 PMShe had that plastic surgery which made her look totally different - I was surprised that she looked a bit like her old self for the Bridget Jones Baby. Probably cgi or something.

Kermode gave Bridget Jones Baby a reasonably favourable review btw, don't know how good or bad it is, but I bet it's his tin ear for comedy coming through again.

It's a fucking disgrace.

Oh yeah, also... read something about this a little while ago:

The Witness trailer.

lazarou

Quote from: Glebe on September 17, 2016, 08:49:23 PM
The weird thing is, I've seen Night Watch... except I don't think I sat through the whole thing.

Might be heresy to some, but I'd recommend the international theatrical cut if that wasn't the one you were watching. The international cut removes some extraneous side-stories and generally tightens the story quite well, whereas the original cut (sometimes called the "Director's Cut" on official releases) is much less focused. You'll know if you're watching the international cut as that's the one with the nifty animated subtitles.

Glebe

Quote from: lazarou on September 22, 2016, 03:57:22 PMMight be heresy to some, but I'd recommend the international theatrical cut if that wasn't the one you were watching. The international cut removes some extraneous side-stories and generally tightens the story quite well, whereas the original cut (sometimes called the "Director's Cut" on official releases) is much less focused. You'll know if you're watching the international cut as that's the one with the nifty animated subtitles.

Oh yeah, I seem to remember some confusion about that watching the DVD.

Anyhoo... how about Brendan Gleeson and Michael Fassbinder doing West Country accents in Trespass Against Us?

Glebe

Audrey and Daisy.

Looks like one of those documentaries that'll make your blood boil...

Glebe

Glebe

Glebe

Fences.

Look's like the kind of serious drama Hollywood doesn't do anymore.

20th Century Women.

Could be good.

King Cobra.

Looks a bit unsettling. Could be good. Could be shit. YOU decide!

Desierto trailer #1.

Desierto trailer #2.

Looks a bit tense and that.

Glebe

Gimme Danger.

I only know a few Stooges songs, but I imagine this'll be worth a look.

Sky Ladder.

Nice.

Coming Through The Rye.

I like the look of that.

Johnny Textface

Anyone know if De Palma is available anywhere that's legit?