Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:03:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Let's talk about Shoot 'em ups...what's the best Shmup ever?

Started by captaincockring, August 23, 2016, 01:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hecate

Deathsmiles is the tits! They may be the size of half tennis balls and poking through a peep hole grow bra, but tits, nonetheless.
Ha, just saw you gave it AAA (tits) in the other thread.
You don't like the halloween theme? I love the whole technicolor horror aesthetic, easily caves best looking game, especially the graveyard and later on when you get inside the castle.
If all shmups were horror themed, I'd be more than happy.
and you get to fight a cow called Mary!
As you get better at the game and start mopping up suicide bullets with the mind snapping funky controlling opposite clockwise familiar thing, learning that comes in very handy for Rolling Gunner as your turrets control in the same way.

It does actually look great beyond the first stage, which is all I'd really played because my laptop couldn't run it well enough without melting. Definitely one where the more I played, the more I appreciated how committed they were to the Season of the Witch kind of vibe and started to get into it. Even then, the cow boss caught me well off guard. I laughed when she made a later reappearance, too.

When you're switching sides and being squeezed between two actual curtains of bullets and you somehow emerge unscathed with a massive haul of crowns, it starts to click.

Also, I got the Cave DLC for DariusBurst and it was quite fun to have the DS shooting mechanics in the DariusBurst context. Likewise, the Ketsui ship and levels are awesome. Can't wait for the M2 port of that beast.

Finished Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu. Not very good.

Couldn't get Jade Exceed 4rd or whatever to work so refunded it.

Played some more Mushihimesama and Deathsmiles, though. Both top tier. Also, Azure Reflections (yep) and a bit of Shikhondo, which I'm pretty much done with, I reckon. Seems a bit basic.

Hecate

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 09, 2018, 06:06:11 PM
Finished Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu.

Does that mean that you credit fed to the end or that you 1cc'ed it?

Of all the cave games I've played, Daifukkatsu is definitely the one that took the longest to click with me.
Took 2 separate high score competitions before it started to reveal it's charms.

Still don't like the chaining though.

Apparently the chaining system is "more lenient" than the other donpachi games.

The player merely existing can cause the chain to drop in those other games. Daifukkatsu is much more forgiving, you'll only drop the chain if you fart, blink, breath, that sort of thing.

You tried "ketsuipachi", Black Label Arrange? You might like that mode better.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 09, 2018, 06:06:11 PMCouldn't get Jade Exceed 4rd or whatever to work so refunded it.

That's the spirit!

Hecate

Vritra: Complete Edition

Been very pleasantly surprised by this, started out as a mobile game but you would never know it. Tight controls, just two buttons, rapid fire and sooperdooper boost shot, your boost shot recharges constantly and the more you use it, the higher you score.
Proper old school rather than bullet hell. You play as a dragon and there are different weapons that are constantly dropping and you pick which one you think will be right for the situation.

You get two separate games, the regular one and "Mugen" which is an endless survival mode.

There are leaderboards for each difficulty setting in the normal mode, and for each weapon in endless mode.

Sgood. Everyone else is talking about Rigid Force Alpha, but I'd go with this one.

I got Psyvariar Delta through the Japanese eShop and it's actually fucking great. The LEVEL UP every ten seconds gets me buzzing and when you really start caning it and grazing and spinning and it's going LEVEL UP every second like MEDIBOT on crystal you're grinning like fuck. Superb use of rumble, too. Proper exciting feedback. MEDIBOT!

And Hecate, I basically shat on DFK yeah. I really didn't enjoy it, unfortunately. I had a good few runs but after a while I felt nothing, even when I was playing well. Just zoned the fuck out.

madhair60

I had some Psyvariar game on PS2. Dunno which one. It fucking ruled, had that "graze" system.

Quote from: madhair60 on September 17, 2018, 03:51:38 PM
I had some Psyvariar game on PS2. Dunno which one. It fucking ruled, had that "graze" system.

This is basically a polished up port of the previous versions with a little extra shit. Can't tell you how much I've been jizzing over it today. Good job I've been working from home or my desk would look like Egon's work station!!

I think Psyvariar Delta is out this week on the EU eShop. Literally can't stop playing it. Gonna get the sack one of these days because it's all I do and book meeting time and just play this.

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 09, 2018, 06:06:11 PM
Finished Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu. Not very good.

What a fackin donut.

I got it on the 360 this week and it shows exactly how much shmup I've played over the last six months that I got to the stage 4 boss within a couple of runs. It's absolutely immense. Absolutely fucking immense. I much prefer it to SaiDaiOuJou which is maybe a bit too crystalline and glassy futuristic rather than the gritty military vibe of the original Dodonpachi and Dodonpachi DaiOuJou. DDP Daifukkatsu brings back some of the grit but with some almost off-brand ugly colour scheme. The black and yellow hyper laser is the stuff of bootleg toy nightmares, but it's also really cool and psychedelic. Properly gritty, serious destruction.

I have genuinely learned that shmups become nothing if you credit feed. If you always play 1CC, they're the best experience in gaming or life.

Anyone played any recently? Loved reading this old thread. X

And having played a lot more, that's screenshot is particularly meaningful because if you destroy that spinning tornado maelstrom of death quickly enough without bombing (I think), it drops a 1-Up which is enough to get me through to stage five. It's the moment in the run where it's getting a bit fupping pristine and you need a lift and there it is. Keep a cool head and keep those fingers pumpin. Okay, youse guys. Freeze. I had a colossal run before where I went from 500 billion to 1.6 trillion and absolutely annihilated everything. Still only 374 in the world or something but I'm feeling things click in a deep way. I'm actually feeling I could get pretty good at this. It's like it's my thing, almost effortless in comparison to a lot of shmups, the patterns just suit me. It's all taking shape in my mind, broad strokes and fine details. Just a shitter the Black Label DLC has been delisted because that seems to be the most popular version.