Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:12:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Million Dollar Extreme Presents World Peace (Adult Swim live action)

Started by Retinend, August 23, 2016, 05:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
He emailed back to a Buzzfeed reporter enquiring about the Reddit ban, calling him the N-word

It's just an absolute, devastating tragedy of the highest order of several magnitudes equal to infinity plus one that we are just missing out on all these comedy nuggets his high-flying comedy brain could've provided if only his Adult Swim show were to continue.

hedgehog90

Just checked this cunt's Twitter that was linked in the article (assuming it's his) and he's just retweeted a horrific video of a group of African people getting shot to death, in the context of a lame joke though so... *SHRUG*
I was too depressed to go any further after reading the predictably awful comments from the original tweet, pretty safe to assume he's gone full nazi.

Ant Farm Keyboard

My guess is that he has been full Nazi for a long time, but he tried to maintain a respectable facade, to gain some mainstream recognition and exposure. Now that all hope is lot in that area, he doesn't hold anything back.

BritishHobo

It's always so shocking when internet personalities who make loads of jokes rooted in racism turn out to have proper hideous Nazi views. Every time it happens I'm like 'who could have predicted this?!'

ajsmith2

This more on the nose than usual outtake from World Peace recently surfaced. Many fans say it's some bravely out there edgy stuff. I'm more seeing the alt right's answer to Brant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CC5N1_bZsQ

Ptyx

What happened to his TED parody? Looks like it disappeared from YouTube.

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 14, 2018, 05:52:22 PM
This more on the nose than usual outtake from World Peace recently surfaced. Many fans say it's some bravely out there edgy stuff. I'm more seeing the alt right's answer to Brant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CC5N1_bZsQ

Hard to understand how that even got to the filming stage. Was Adult Swim even paying attention?

ajsmith2

A holocaust denyin' English man just put out an hour long documentary about these heros of 2016. It's made by a man with very bad snido opinions and it's heavily pro MDE, but I think it provides straightforward context for what the show/troupe was all about, translating the sometimes oblique and plausible deniabilty of their content taken on it's own, into what it meant to their fanbase that I thought might be worth sticking on here for the record. However for all of the waffle about multiple interpretations and brave iconoclasm I think 17.55 gets to the crux of the biscuit of much of it's heavy intellectual appeal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cugXJ84CMw

McChesney Duntz

Blumf

(whilst this thread is up...)

This turned up a while back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zp7HQ2TcA4

Compilation of some of the music from the show. Not too bad.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Blumf on October 30, 2018, 06:45:46 PM
(whilst this thread is up...)

This turned up a while back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zp7HQ2TcA4

Compilation of some of the music from the show. Not too bad.

Yeah s'alright. I do find it interesting that the ascendant right wing youth of recent times don't have any distinct music of their own (except for when they're pretending to like classical music). All the alt right people listen to is vaporwave and stuff which has been around for over a decade and is hardly synonymous with their movement or values. Although I guess that says more about the more passive and (ironically) non-partisan way music is consumed in general by young people today than the alt rights lack of commitment to a consistent aural aesthetic.

Blumf

I think the alt-right have developed a knack for glomming onto cultural artefacts and making them their own. Hell, wasn't the alt-right originally just Republicans who wanted all the usual lax business and tax regs, but drop the conservative stuff like drug regulations? Then the plain old racist hard-right took over.

Million Dollar Extreme shall go down in history as "Petulant Youtube assholes who had a show on Adult Swim for a minute who ruined it because they're the shitheads they are, but the show probably would've only lasted three seasons at best anyway and it's fanbase never would've gone too far beyond irony poisoned Reddit/4chan trolls".

Retinend

Quote from: ajsmith2 on October 30, 2018, 11:10:19 AM
A holocaust denyin' English man just put out an hour long documentary about these heros of 2016. It's made by a man with very bad snido opinions and it's heavily pro MDE, but I think it provides straightforward context for what the show/troupe was all about, translating the sometimes oblique and plausible deniabilty of their content taken on it's own, into what it meant to their fanbase that I thought might be worth sticking on here for the record. However for all of the waffle about multiple interpretations and brave iconoclasm I think 17.55 gets to the crux of the biscuit of much of it's heavy intellectual appeal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cugXJ84CMw

I'm happy this thread of mine got bumped, since I also wanted to discuss this video, since it shows us how far we have come.

It is really as if it came from Bizarroworld - a reportage from a dark future where MDE amounted to anything and the Alt-Right succeeded in creating a real "Man in the High Castle" future. It is openly anti-semitic, gleefully hateful towards women and non-whites; and this is not in any way an hysterical use of that accusation.

The ideology motivating it is zombie-like: the "documentary" features Sam Hyde's responses in interview rendered in a comical Nazi accent... which would seem a pointed form of hyperbolic sarcasm...  yet this seems like it would have made more sense in 2016, when Hyde was regarded as merely an un-PC and anti-liberal comedian - and not in 2018 when his flirtations with the farthest reaches of the far right online were not common knowledge to anyone who cared to look into the matter. The brain is not doing the work of cognition, but is rather merely animating the sinews.

On the same channel, the videomaker - nervous but elated - got to interview the great man himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwvgDXfBxic

They begin their conversation feigning grief at the recently murdered Jews in Pittsburgh (by a bona fide Alt-Righter).

"The only thing that's keeping me going is that I know that those Jewish people would have wanted me to finish this interview", says Hyde while both he and the videomaker chortle. Utterly vile, of course.

He has an ideology which serves to put him in the right no matter how wrong he appears to the outside. The outside has been entirely shut out by this point. The videomaker here is essentially just a fan: his only payment for creating the tripe posted above is that he might speak with the great man. Today, unhinged fans like our videomaker and the superstars like Hyde make up a strange world of streamers and basement-dwelling donators, with the former echoing the unhinged delusions of the latter, and the two together increasingly amplifying one another's insanity.

chveik

His fans are determined to comment offensive stuff under every video of Tim Heidecker on youtube. What of bunch of cunts

Retinend

sevendaughters

watched like 3 min of that documentary and wanted to shit myself purple

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Retinend on November 14, 2018, 09:07:56 PM
The documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7WuvykCAoY

The interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-BgwrOioEs

I believe I watched some of that interview a while back. That UK/English fella is a fucking worm. If I have the right interview, there's a part where they discuss being bigger than women, as men. Then laughing about what they'd do to them in an argument, physically. Hyde or, the sycophant, mentions that he's (Hyde) over 6 ft and would have no problems, i.e. beating up a woman. Congrats there Sam, you fucking loser.

I would love to see some big angry man beat the fuck out of these tossers until they cry for mommy (how's that for irony!!). And that would be very easy. 2/10

ajsmith2

Quote from: Retinend on November 13, 2018, 11:42:15 PM
He has an ideology which serves to put him in the right no matter how wrong he appears to the outside. The outside has been entirely shut out by this point.

The fact they both believe the silly conspiracy theory that Tim Heidecker is divorced (Hyde only slightly questioning it) certainly reinforces this. It's instantly disprovable garbage that originated in and has been completely confined to MDE fanbase echo chambers. To be fair even on the old MDE Reddit (now taken down) a lot of the fans there saw it for the garbage it was. Their fanbase seems to be split between younger edgelordy syncophants and their older fans, who are fans of the comedy first and are often very critical of Sam's recent behaviour.

The interviewer seems particularly keen to set up Heidecker as this big bitter hasbeen, but I thought  it was very telling when he said how Awesome Show and Bedtime Stories were old hat and now he just does a podcast, completely ignoring the On Cinema universe which has been Tim's main output this decade, and arguably a superior work. (I definitely think so). It think it's true that Awesome Show, which played with social transgressions in a more apolitical time, set them up to appear like edgy figures to a certain demographic who now feel betrayed that they're not falling into line on the Triggering Trump Train.

marquis_de_sad

They (MDE stans) all pretend to hate On Cinema. Everything about their fanbase is tryhard and cringe.

Retinend

At 47:50 in the interview, Hyde admits the bleeding obvious: that MDE was directly influenced by Heidecker and he was delighted to have been called "The New Tim and Eric" in 2015. Seemingly only familiar with the latter via MDE, this shocks the interviewer, seemingly half Hyde's age. Hyde wearily imparts the disillusioning knowledge that he learned everything he knows about comedy from a cuck. What's more, a cuck who (according to the evidence-free echo chamber) was instrumental in "shutting down" World Peace.

Quote from: Retinend on November 15, 2018, 06:50:27 PM
What's more, a cuck who (according to the evidence-free echo chamber) was instrumental in "shutting down" World Peace.

"But hey, Tim said on Office Hours if anyone had a problem with World Peace they should take it up with people who can do something about it - like the advertisers! What more you need? Let's play that sound clip over and over again cause it's the only thing we got in relation to this!"

Depressed Beyond Tables

The whole thing about blaming Heidecker for the cancellation of World Peace is a crock of shit anyway. The last episode broadcast had an antisemitic sketch aimed at some of the network's Jewish heads. It's no surprise it was taken off the air. They sabotaged themselves.

PlanktonSideburns

Petey Pate

Politics aside, I found it hard to warm to MDE because it felt so cynical and cold. Even at their most dark and angry, there's an underlying lighthearted silliness in most of Tim & Eric and PFFR's work.

In his interview with that British toady, Sam Hyde says that Brett Gelman has never done anything funny yet the only thing of his he seems to have seen is Dinner In America. Gelman is also far more skilled performer than Hyde, who I can't imagine being cast in an supporting role in any comedy show he didn't write (not to mention non-comedic roles). Though I imagine he'd probably blame the Jews for this rather than his lack of talent.

Ant Farm Keyboard

They targeted Heidecker because Sam Hyde was a big fan, and modelled his sketches on the esthetics of Tim & Eric, injecting some of his politics into it. When Heidecker rejected him, there was some obvious rage from Hyde, and it came around the time the show was cancelled. These guys are all about making easy connections and easy blaming. If Heidecker voiced his opinion, he's responsible for the cancellation. If Gelman complained about such a show being broadcast at Adult Swim, the Jews did it. If it was cancelled shortly after Trump was elected, it's because Turner, the Time Warner liberal subsidiary that also owns CNN, forced Adult Swim to do it, etc.

From what I've read, almost everybody at Adult Swim hated the show and regarded it as alt-right propaganda. But a first season was ordered and broadcast because Mike Lazzo, the head of the network, enjoyed it, and he picks programs single-handedly (he's also the guy responsible for most of your favourite shows there). It took the others a lot of efforts for him to finally see the light.

Also, it may be true that a second season was in talks, but I doubt that it had been even informally approved or promised. Adult Swim, from what I've heard, has its own way for renewals and cancellation, due to Lazzo. Showrunners come up with a pitch for a new season. If they make him laugh, he orders the season and they ink a deal. Otherwise, few shows are downright cancelled technically. They just go into hiatus. And the claim that the group was ready for 100 episodes is a typical grand story by Hyde, who can't even get a good single idea in one episode.

Actually, my curiosity for the anti-semitic sketch you mentioned made me watch this finale and exposed me to material by MDE. The sketch was not in it. If it is "Jews Rock!", it's apparently in the second episode. It was an immensely unfunny experience. It's always the same pattern. They take something that's supposed be PC and liberal, and show (or more accurately tell) it is crazy and ridiculous, using the style of Tim & Eric shows. It's not comedy, it's finger-pointing.