Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Million Dollar Extreme Presents World Peace (Adult Swim live action)

Started by Retinend, August 23, 2016, 05:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mowagg

Quote from: Retinend on August 25, 2016, 11:00:56 PM
Okay if this sample of exactly 3 post 2014 videos is representative then about 66% of their new stuff is alt-right political. Mixed in with pre 2014 stuff it becomes 40%. This is higher than I expected, admittedly.

Is this a comedy forum? All this background checking/moral-swingometer stuff seems really bizarre to me.

EDIT: ahh.. dont wanna start a new page with just a one-line sarky comment

It's a shame World Peace isn't just 11 minutes of stuff like this and this, I think as soon as a script becomes involved it completely loses something (I find them kind of similar to Limmy in this respect). Also:Michael Rogers This really really resonates with me even though its not even trying to be funny

hedgehog90

I've only seen the first episode of World Peace but I liked it. It's certainly got a very distinct feel to it which I can't compare to anything else except maybe Wonder Showzen.
Out of curiosity I watched a few of their youtube videos and enjoyed them too.
Here's a couple nobody else has linked to, they were on a separate channel called thanks computer. I think they're great, laughed a lot:
Moms
Officer Maggot

ajsmith

Quote from: hedgehog90 on September 01, 2016, 02:09:47 AM
I've only seen the first episode of World Peace but I liked it. It's certainly got a very distinct feel to it which I can't compare to anything else except maybe Wonder Showzen.
Out of curiosity I watched a few of their youtube videos and enjoyed them too.
Here's a couple nobody else has linked to, they were on a separate channel called thanks computer. I think they're great, laughed a lot:
Moms
Officer Maggot

Moms was posted here a while back, t'was not well received:

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,40079.0.html

I didn't like it either: pure snidey.

Boy, for those people who question the use of non-actors in Tim & Eric, they need to watch MDE's 'Moms". Jesus.

BritishHobo

Fucking hell, MDE are the Moms guys? I've been enjoying reading this thread, forming a picture in my mind of what this comedy troupe must be like. But they're those cunts. That video is like a piece-to-camera from Jonah From Tonga, but with no self-awareness whatsoever.

hedgehog90

Ok fair enough. I thought the video was quite playful myself, I didn't detect any malice in it.
I'm pretty much on my own with this opinion so I'll leave it at that.

Retinend

Moms? I think it's a dumb video... could have been edited into something better. My main problem with them is that though they do a deliberately cack job of editing their youtube videos (most are just in vine format but not as dynamic) they are weirdly precious about how much dull injokey material they keep in. I get it - while filming all sorts of stuff cracked you up but it doesn't all translate to the viewer.

Is it not nice? Sure it's not. But it's a piece of creativity - it can be a bit mean. People like that about Trigger Happy TV too.

alan nagsworth

So this show has been cancelled, following ongoing controversy regarding its racist and misogynystic nature, and Hyde's ties to the alt-right, and all that.

Adult Swim's having a bit of a shit time aren't they?

It won't be missed.

Unfortunately, this will only heighten the alt-right's resolve that the "no-good lefties are out to suppress our free speech, etc, etc" when it's just that people don't like white supremacists and their "comedy".

hedgehog90

I only saw the first 2 eps of MDE, but I didn't detect any racism or misogyny. Certainly nothing overt.
Are people conflating Sam Hyde's personal political beliefs and his mad followers with the show's content? Every article I've read denigrates the show on these terms, and what little I know, it doesn't ring true.

In other news, apparently Sam Hyde rung up Tim Heidecker's podcast (Office Hours) yesterday and accused him of cancelling MDE.
Doesn't sound like it went very well... Even the folks on Reddit felt Sam made a fool of himself.

No links because I'm on my phone and can't be fucked.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Master Cylinder on December 07, 2016, 08:14:35 AM
It won't be missed.

Unfortunately, this will only heighten the alt-right's resolve that the "no-good lefties are out to suppress our free speech, etc, etc" when it's just that people don't like white supremacists and their "comedy".

To be fair, it kind of is that (inasmuch as a company choosing who it employs can be seen as a suppression of free speech).  Entertainment is certainly not an industry that's favorable to dissenting opinion, and it's (bizarrely) an industry which seems to value the importance of its political stance far more than most.  I can't think of many shows now that have anything other than a pretty overt liberal bias, so the fact that the few which don't are being shut down due to the political beliefs of their creators is obviously going to give that impression to a group which notoriously feels marginalised already, and in fact exists because of that. 

I only saw one episode, thought it was shite, but didn't see any of the "white supremacy" Brett Gelman was on about.  If they did axe it for that reason rather than poor ratings or whatever, it's a pretty toothless move on their part.  And this recent trend of outright equating the alt-right with white nationalism is so ridiculously counterproductive.  It's incredibly frustrating that the perpetrators (including the mainstream media, which seems to get all its info on these matters from a handful of influential Twitter accounts) don't understand why.  Dunno how many times I've said the phrase "fanning the flames".

Noodle Lizard

Now we've got all the bands who appeared on the show "disavowing" it.  Not because of the content of the show, but because of the alt-right creator.  This from the world-famous industrial band 3TEETH:

QuoteMy band's message is largely predicated on disrupting all forms of physical and psychic oppression, and when I was first shown the pilot for MDE's World Peace in the Winter of 2015, I thought it was hilarious. Was it offensive? Sure, but I certainly didn't pick up on any right leaning politics or overt racism. What I did see was some clever cognitive dissonance that I knew was going to create some serious discomfort for network television viewers and when they asked us to do a musical appearance on the show it felt like a fun opportunity.

When we agreed to do it I knew nothing of these alleged alt-right politics. Having known that at the time, whether it be true or some elaborate joke, I would have passed because I believe the semantic toxicity becomes one in the same with that group and I stand firmly against their ideologies.

You're a (not well-known) band!  Why would anyone give a fuck about your politics?  How needy must you be to feel the need to apologize for appearing on a comedy show?

And yet two of the big Oscar contenders this year are made by Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson, the former of which is definitely an out-and-out conservative and the latter ... well, you can certainly make assumptions.  It's strange that nobody feels the need to justify or apologize for working with them.  I'll have to have a think about that.

ajsmith

Transcript of the main points of the grand summit here: http://splitsider.com/2016/12/sam-hyde-lashed-out-at-tim-heidecker-over-million-dollar-extremes-cancellation/

You can hear the full thing on the latest Office Hours on Heidecker's fb.

I thought it was an interesting and fair discussion. Hyde surprisingly under confident and civil for much of it. People can think what they like about Heidecker disingenuously covering for the AS liberal cabal, but here he left himself honestly vulnerable and  gave Hyde an open platform to make his point, which he didn't do particularly convincingly. I think Hyde did have a point that it would've been nice to have the AS establishment reach out to them in support of a new voice in comedy but clearly they were wary and wanted to keep themselves clean. I do agree it will only be counter productive to cancel the show on political grounds, but I think it's likely it was a cold business decision from on top that went like 'the guys twitter and internet persona look likely to create more bad publicity than they're worth, best er on the side of dropping the association'. An uncreative conservative response, that I'm sure Gelman and possibly Heideckers thoughts were factored into, but nothing more sinister.

World Peace definitely had undertones of politically incorrect stances on gender and race, even in the first 2 episodes. The  underpinning 'truth' behind 'The Wall' sketch is the MRA stereotype that women live vacuous lives in their 20s when they are at their most attractive, but become useless as their looks fade after 30 and so are desperate to 'trap' a provider male to live off of by that age. Then you had the 'Jews Rock' bit and namedropping David Duke in another sketch:most of  it was relatively subtle and certainly not all the show was about, but it's not really 'conflating' to notice the non pc themes the show introduced, then look at the guys twitter and see him retweeting white nationalist accounts and memes and infer that there was a trojan horse intent there.

Noodle Lizard

This Sam Hyde bloke seems like a right proper little cunt.  But then there seem to be a significant amount of people who think he's essentially a very committed troll - think Heidecker's right-wing persona, except without explaining "actually that's a character and it's the opposite of what I think".  I don't know, I'm not really interested enough in his work to investigate much further either way.  But it'd at least explain how someone so seemingly childish and petulant could be in the position he's in.

Noodle Lizard

Here's an interview with the lad: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sam-hyde-speaks-meet-man-behind-adult-swims-canceled-alt-right-comedy-show-954487

Hard to tell how genuine he's being there, as obviously he has countless reasons to be disingenuous, but if given the benefit of the doubt I'd say his positions are reasonable - deliberately inflammatory in some cases (i.e. tweeting about Patton Oswalt killing his wife), but hardly Hitler.

I can't buy the defence that it's not a political show, when one of the episodes ends on a music video that depicts one of the members of MDE wearing a (blurred) hat that reads "Vote Trump" and mouths it.

His stunt with "Office Hours" kinda reflects the feeling I have that him and MDE having a stunning lack of professionalism and maturity, to be able to coexist and play the game even just a little bit in the entertainment industry. Reports of fans going after Adult Swim employees probably all added up to Adult Swim not feeling it's worth the trouble keeping them on.

Also any white supremacy didn't leak into the show per se, but there's this bit that devolves into white genocide nonsense https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hkb-vgabexA and another sketch that seems to be saying interracial mixing is bad? or something? I dunno, it's all too confusing and that's the problem. You can only slather so many layers of irony or whatever before people just get frustrated, give up and go for the simplest answer - the surface level. I go with the theory these are his genuine beliefs but with the slightest exaggeration to be able to have plausible deniability as "satire".

Howj Begg

http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/09/adult-swim-fired-me-for-supporting-donald-trump-heres-how-it-went-down/

QuoteEric Andre has done a bit called "Everybody Hates k**es."

Eric Andre is Jewish.

QuoteBrett Gelman, a character actor who recently produced his own Adult Swim special, Brett Gelman's Dinner With America, publicly cut ties with the network, in part because of WORLD PEACE, and not because his shit sucked and got no ratings and execs thought everything he pitched was weird and dumb.

Yeeah

Quotet's hard to figure out what to make of all this. Maybe MDE was ahead of its time. Maybe it pushed the envelope too far. Maybe it got flushed by the wrong establishment-climber Buzzfeed functionary, or somehow rubbed one of the guys responsible for Tom Goes to the Mayor the wrong way.

Yeeeeeeeaaaahh

Jesus Christ.

The fact they can't see the difference between what they do and what Andre and Silverman do is proof enough of their tone-deaf alt-right "but why isn't there a white history month?" mentality. Not that I like Silverman all that much, and I don't think all the stuff in her series would fly in 2016.

Cue Noodle Lizard: "To be fair..." ;)

Also, in that Office Hours call, he's absolving himself of responsibility for Heidecker receiving lots of hateful tweets, by saying they were in response to "I am a Cuck" (which i still think is great). But, Heidecker says that the tweets are 'in [Hyde's] name'. I'm interested to know what that means, cos I don't use Twitter. If there's a way of identifying that such people are fans of MDE or follow Sam Hyde, then's Hyde's next comments are disingenuous:

QuoteHyde: It's not me.

Heidecker: Okay, it's not you, but it's people over and over again, coordinated, consistent, nasty, violent...

Hyde: [laughing]

Heidecker: No, listen. Violent death threats — all that shit coming at me, and all I said — all I ever said to anybody about this subject — was "That audience is an issue." That is an issue that [it] doesn't seem to be dealing with, so...

Hyde: The coordinated attacks against you are a result of you expressing anti-Trump sentiments and expressing egalitarian, all-inclusive open borders, and that has nothing to do with our show. That's not related, so the hell that's been brought screaming down upon your head has to do with your song "I Am A Cuck." It has nothing to do with me or my show.

Heidecker: But Sam, that song was written after months and months of people calling me every name that I said in that song. That didn't come out of nowhere, that's just a reaction.

Seems like there's quite a bit of denial in Hyde's perspective about what his followers do there, or the fact that they are connected with him at all. However, clearly the massive giveaway there is his political opinions:"expressing egalitarian, all-inclusive open borders". I mean, fuck him for that forever, obviously, but I love the way he says that, in the same tone that you would say "that's because you expressed the idea that all women should be raped". The idea that that sentiment is a bad thing that should make Heidecker feel ashamed and deserving of attack, I mean, fucking hell.

McChesney Duntz

Here's the actual conversation, if you care to hear it:

https://youtu.be/EZ0KfHHjyrw

All I can say is that my respect and admiration for Tim Heidecker grows exponentially by the day.  And that Sam Hyde just isn't fucking funny.

I was shocked to find out Sam Hyde is 31 years old. 31 years old.

Jesus christ.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, Christ, actually listening to the conversation is fucking embarrassing.  The guy basically sounds exactly how I imagine most YouTube commenters sound.

BritishHobo

His assessment of Gelman is textbook. Just make up a motivation and then pass it off as fact.

It's an interesting thing I find. Voices on the right seem far more often to proclaim that people on the left don't actually believe their opinions. I don't think you get that as much the other way around, unless it's at people like Katie Hopkins who literally do get paid for their opinions. Don't get me wrong, there's just as much scorn and disrespect of opinion comin from the left, but the whole thing of 'he doesn't actually believe that, he's just virtue signalling, it's just for attention, he just wants to make money, he's just bitter he's not making money', that seems so much more unique to the right-wing side of things. That's really interesting to me, the compulsion to simultaneously ridicule someone's opinion while convincing yourself that they don't even actually hold it.

Howj Begg

That's a fundamental trait of conservatism, tbh, and has been since Hobbes' State of Nature argument. Essentially conservatives believe that deep down, all human beings are selfish, hateful, and would stab their fellow man in the back as soon as they weren't looking and if there were no repercussions. The only things keeping us together are law and authority. The modern form it takes is cynicism unmediated by idealism or emotional investment. This is how the term 'virtue signalling' has come about: it's the ultimate example of a cynicism about human nature. I don't believe it represents a rigorous criticism of false morality: there's better terms for that, like being fake, lying, pretending etc. "Virtue signalling" represents the idea that it is not possible to be virtuous: doing good is a sham, and the 'virtuous person' knows this, so they are misrepresenting themselves, as well the very idea that you can do good. Perfect example in that Gelman thing:

QuoteOther comedians, presumably ones who keep a close eye on "the limits of irony," hated the show, or at least saw an opportunity to sanctimoniously grandstand. Brett Gelman, a character actor who recently produced his own Adult Swim special, Brett Gelman's Dinner With America, publicly cut ties with the network, in part because of WORLD PEACE, and not because his shit sucked and got no ratings and execs thought everything he pitched was weird and dumb. Tim Heidecker, an elder statesman of Adult Swim's comedic style and a producer for Gelman's special responded to this brave display of virtue with a letter of support.

This says everything about Hyde's mindset and absolutely nothing about the motivations of human beings. He is ridiculing the very concept that people might care about.... anything, except of course open borders. Pretty much everything he writes in there is dripping with a sort of sarcastic cynicism that is exhausting to read.

Must go down really well with some teenagers, though.

Ant Farm Keyboard

"This guy, Brett Gelman, would do anything for money."

Or, more accurately, for the MDE fans, "This guy, (((Brett Gelman))), would do anything for money."

And it gets worse in the end...

"Gelman is an extreme money grabber and attention whore. He will do anything for a fucking 40,000, I guarantee."

BritishHobo

I howled at Heidecker sarcastically declaring 'this is the news, with Sam Hyde, the news just in is that Brett Gelman will do anything for $40,000.' Shame Hyde completely missed the point and went off on a ridiculous rant about class.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on December 10, 2016, 09:06:40 AM
Yeah, Christ, actually listening to the conversation is fucking embarrassing.  The guy basically sounds exactly how I imagine most YouTube commenters sound.

"Get me my show back!"

Howj Begg

At around 10:48 Hyde says "Dude, you pissed off, pol, 4 chan, 8 chan with your cucking".

What does he mean by that?

ajsmith

Quote from: Howj Begg on December 10, 2016, 12:50:19 PM
At around 10:48 Hyde says "Dude, you pissed off, pol, 4 chan, 8 chan with your cucking".

What does he mean by that?

By those terms he used, or by what went down?

Howj Begg

The word he used. The only definition I can find in online dictionaries is a shortening of cuckold, "to be unfaithful to one's husband".

Has Tim been unfaithful to his husband?

BritishHobo

It's unimaginative-twat speak for 'holding opinions I disagree with'.

ajsmith

Quote from: Howj Begg on December 10, 2016, 01:08:06 PM
The word he used. The only definition I can find in online dictionaries is a shortening of cuckold, "to be unfaithful to one's husband".

Has Tim been unfaithful to his husband?

4chan is the popular anonymous imageboard that's been the breeding ground for the majority of memes and a fair chunk of internet culture since 2003. Noted for being an anything goes and politically incorrect place, it's particularly associated with trolling culture and latterly the alt right.

8chan is an intended successor board to 4chan that (I think) was created in about 2014ish when it was felt that 4chan's original creator and owner, Moot, (who has since quit) was imposing too much censorship on his creation.

/pol/ is the political subboard on 4chan.

'Cuck' is a derogatory term used by the alt right to describe the ineffectual, weak, impotent liberal and beta type modern male stereotype they oppose. More generally it is used to describe anyone who supports liberal values. It's derivation is from the alt rights strongly held conviction that in a state of unregulated racial mixing, all black men would rape as many white women as possible, the cuck being the liberal white male who willingly lets another race cuckold him in this scenario.