Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:01:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Million Dollar Extreme Presents World Peace (Adult Swim live action)

Started by Retinend, August 23, 2016, 05:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howj Begg

Thanks for that comprehensive explanation.

Quote from: ajsmith on December 10, 2016, 01:20:01 PM
It's derivation is from the alt rights strongly held belief that in a state of unregulated racial mixing, all black men would rape as many white women as possible, the cuck being the liberal white male who willingly lets another race cuckold him in this scenario.

Woops, sounds a bit racist! You know what, despite all his denials, I'm beginning to think this Sam Hyde fellow might hold completely unacceptable views for a public figure. If I was his boss and saw he'd used that word, I might even sack him!

Ant Farm Keyboard

I'd say that "cuck" replaces "fag" (not the cigaret), as the term gets censored on many major message boards. It's a derogatory term to claim that the target of the insult is not man "enough".

alan nagsworth

Christ that dude is such a fucking baby. His sneering fan base are a bunch of back-slapping pricks as well.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: alan nagsworth on December 12, 2016, 12:53:33 PM
Christ that dude is such a fucking baby. His sneering fan base are a bunch of back-slapping pricks as well.

Don't you get it? Sam Hyde thinks Brett Gelman has an ugly wife/girlfriend - by cancelling his show, we're missing out on this remarkable comedic voice. Imagine all the other people he finds laughably repulsive, seemingly out of spite; we'll never get to see it!

Petey Pate

Could it be that the show was cancelled just because it wasn't funny and it sucked?

Twed

alan nagsworth

Quote from: BritishHobo on December 10, 2016, 12:21:21 PM
I howled at Heidecker sarcastically declaring 'this is the news, with Sam Hyde, the news just in is that Brett Gelman will do anything for $40,000.' Shame Hyde completely missed the point and went off on a ridiculous rant about class.

Yeah, it's great, as is his complaint that his back hurts and his daughter has a cold as a way of comparing his problems with Hyde's. One of the many reasons that, contrary to what these people are saying, Heidecker is still very relevant and more deserving of a public platform for his ideas.

The 4chan kids sending Heidecker death threats and calling him a cuck and going "HAHAHA KEK NAZIS" are banding around the same thinly-veiled and so-ironic-it's-not-ironic-at-all bullshit that Hyde has been doing for some time now - a good example of this is post-election where they said that they had "memed a president into office" because of their flagrant support for Donald Trump - and Hyde acknowledging 4chan, 8chan and specifically the /pol/ board is immediately revealing of his ties to that ideology and anyone with half a brain can tell that he's a fucking idiot, and he's full of shit, and his arguments are full of holes.

He does himself no favours at all throwing his toys out of the pram like this, and the only thing still propping him up is his aggressive fanbase, and the only reason they prop him up is the same reason they backed Trump: a sort of baseless, retarded nihilism that will do everything in its power to rally against the norm and try to fuck with people. It's pathetic.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Master Cylinder on December 09, 2016, 11:48:12 AMI go with the theory these are his genuine beliefs but with the slightest exaggeration to be able to have plausible deniability as "satire".

In a way I'd have more respect for him if he was outwardly pro-Trump, pro-white or whatever.  The 'lulszy' 'irony' used to dress up his reprehensible views is cowardly.

Imagine having a kid that grew up to be Sam Hyde. You'd drive the two of you into a lake wouldn't you?

alan nagsworth

Here's an interesting article (sorry, it is BuzzFeed) regarding Hyde's affiliation with some neo-nazi fucking whackjob. Sorry if it's already been posted. This is from back in September.

:|

Howj Begg

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on December 12, 2016, 02:46:01 PM
Don't you get it? Sam Hyde thinks Brett Gelman has an ugly wife/girlfriend - by cancelling his show, we're missing out on this remarkable comedic voice. Imagine all the other people he finds laughably repulsive, seemingly out of spite; we'll never get to see it!

And if you read the YT comments section, you'll know how his fanbase are decoding 'ugly'. Yeah.

Adult Swim made a big fucking mistake giving these jerks airtime in the first place.

BritishHobo

Quote from: ajsmith on December 12, 2016, 12:36:56 PM
Hyde's take on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi59NJn9Vr0

Fucking hell this guy is talking for AGES, GET TO THE POINT

'I don't want to edit this, I don't like editing' yeah no shit, pal

Blumf

Youtube is still spitting up MDE stuff at me. Take this for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ZQz0Zhd2s

Again, it's that frustrating thing. There is something there, obviously about masculinity, but... what, exactly, is being said?

marquis_de_sad

Bloke in the comments says he edited that video and that it was set to private, but someone nicked it. Also:

QuoteIf you cant tell, this is an incomplete edit. Which is why the ending doesn't really have an end. I uploaded this to YouTube privately just for sam to give me notes on the edit. HOWEVER! This is the only one that leaked. there are 2 other "kiss scenes" that were not released to this day and that was back in 2014

It's still hipster rubbish, but unfinished hipster rubbish.

alan nagsworth

I was at a jokingly Brexit-themed rave in Germany last Friday and I swear there were doppelgangers of Sam Hyde and Richard Spencer in the crowd. In my hazy mind I sort of convinced myself they'd both turned up because they thought it was actually a pro-right leaning event and it was all very weird.

Twed

I had a nightmare about (for some reason) interviewing Hyde and Milo. Milo's bodyguard threatened me, and then I asked him if he ever watched Minder (he did).

Quote from: Blumf on February 07, 2017, 01:08:09 PM
.. what, exactly, is being said?

In more ways then one -  a lot of their videos are just them blathering nonsense and I can't really comprehend what's being said and I can't really follow it.

Seriously fuck Adult Swim for cancelling this show and giving us more of Tim & Eric's washed up garbage.

The Dream Machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb_wmChyqkg

Flight Instructor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UstKqbz-A9M

Toss It Project (Early Cut) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSIjwMIF5cg

newbridge

Quote from: Hello! Replies Hidden on September 23, 2017, 12:16:09 AM
Seriously fuck Adult Swim for cancelling this show and giving us more of Tim & Eric's washed up garbage.

The Dream Machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb_wmChyqkg

Flight Instructor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UstKqbz-A9M

Toss It Project (Early Cut) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSIjwMIF5cg

I don't think you can call Tim & Eric garbage when the three videos I just watched looked like a junior high student desperately trying to copy Tim & Eric.

Quote from: newbridge on September 23, 2017, 12:34:27 AM
I don't think you can call Tim & Eric garbage when the three videos I just watched looked like a junior high student desperately trying to copy Tim & Eric.

Those clips are rough deleted scenes that never made the cut. In the six short episodes World Peace aired it contained some of my favourite sketches of the last few years. This raw material is a good insight into what they were willing to try out. My boys have talent and if not ostracised for their political views could've had one of the most popular shows on Adult Swim. God help anyone who's still watching Tim Heidecker perform as Decker after six seasons.

Police Are Like Garbage Men https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cPKuoAwXp0

Police: ALTERNATE TAKE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3-mXFwcg6E

This is what it looks like when 30-year old 4chan trolls get a show.

McChesney Duntz

Yep, still not funny in the slightest, irrespective of ideology. But, I guess it's nice that someone who lays down hysterical "quips" like this -

Quote from: Hello! Replies Hidden on September 23, 2017, 04:43:54 AM
Our grandchildren won't be white unless we do something to stop them before it's too late.

- has a show he can call his own. Good for you.

Take it easy my good friends. I'm honoured you would check my post history and combine the two for a combo attack.

This last sketch goes completely off the rails! You're not going to like it. They're super mean, even I think so.

https://youtu.be/3CHrNBeYcN8?t=8m50s

spamwangler

The MDE stuff struck me as so seething with rage at its own perceived injustices in the world that it wasnt really that funny unless you were in tune with whatever it is that goes down in whatever particular internet club it is pertaining to, like some sort of fratboy in-joke, but with this sort of squealing impotence and total lack of self confidence, constantly comparing its self to tim and eric, only really existing in relation to tim and eric, rather than being able to stand on its own two feet, a proper screaming teenage tantrum out the gate, all of the smug knowingness of a first year degree students facebook group, but aimed at the public.

its like if adult swim made gave CABbers a series, and they spent the entire show screaming 'I BALEEM JACK BAUER" over and over, and getting really butthurt that no-one else got on board

McChesney Duntz

Okay, let's set politics and -isms aside, then, because my big problem is that this stuff doesn't work for me AS COMEDY.  I mean, there's plenty of (say) Tim & Eric stuff that does nothing for me, but at least I can usually tell where the jokes are.  Are "How many of your friends died of alcoholism?" or "You look like Anderson Cooper with AIDS" meant to be boffo laugh lines?  What exactly is it that appeals to you about this stuff?  Because - again, strictly on a comic level - I'm totally at a loss here.

ajsmith2

Have to admit I find Sam Hyde fascinating.. part of it is that that I can never quite get over the bizzare fact that he's a  huge fan of niche (in the US anyway) British names such as Matt Berry (Snuff Box in particular), Richard Ayoade and Limmy..( people he would probably disdain if he was born in the UK but I guess they look more outre from the other side of the pond) .. also he really does have a distinct harsh but effective take on the banality of much modern culture that can be very compelling.. at his best he has unique constantly self questioning nasty but playful style switching between characters  that sometimes reminds me of Limmy back when he was a more mysteriously edgy figure.

But on the other hand his twitter presence (on his now cancelled personal account and the mde one) is full of the most bone-headed unquestioning po faced reposts of alt right and white nationalist memes and 'truth bombs' shite. I find it odd that someone who can dissect and see through other parts of culture so brutally and satirically just takes this other dogmatic stuff in and regurgitates it without questioning or showing any humour. 

I didn't like World Peace much on a humour level at all - at times it was more like a series of art shorts than even an attempt at comedy..,. also there was a lot of their trademark snidey corpsing at guest actors that never fails to unamuse. But in many ways it was an inevitable (some would say necessary) new voice in alt comedy in opposition to  the now long established liberal status quo, and vital and genuinely edgy for that reason at least.

Still, I can't help but think Occams Razor points to it being Hyde's online presence that was the main reason for it's cancellation, rather than any huge conspiracy - the blatant white nationalist endorsements fragrantly pumped out by the most visible member too hot to bother with, so just toss it. A cautious, maybe even cowardly expedience maybe, but MDE needed AS more than the other way around.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Hello! Replies Hidden on September 23, 2017, 10:19:00 AMThis last sketch goes completely off the rails! You're not going to like it. They're super mean, even I think so.

https://youtu.be/3CHrNBeYcN8?t=8m50s

This is how someone describe the mother sketch when it was first posted here years ago. As if it was some transcendent piece of comedy that busted through the fourth wall, broke the boundaries of comedy sketches, and became something strange and unique and memorable. And then it just turned out to be some fratboys dressed like high school kids tossing sub-Deadpool 'you look like [blank] crossed with [blank]' mad-lib insults at some women.

Hugh Jass

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 23, 2017, 11:00:09 AM

But in many ways it was an inevitable (some would say necessary) new voice in alt comedy in opposition to  the now long established liberal status quo, and vital and genuinely edgy for that reason at least.

But the entire basis of right wing comedy is punching down, because the entire basis of being right wing is punching down. It's totally inessential, childish, and boring.