Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:30:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Atlanta", starring Donald Glover. FX. 6th September.

Started by kitsofan34, August 25, 2016, 12:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitsofan34

My single most anticipated television show of the year, hands down. Atlanta is a 10 episode series starring Donald Glover, described as a love letter to Glover's place of birth, Atlanta, Georgia.

Quote"I needed people to understand I see Atlanta as a beautiful metaphor for black people," The city — encompassing Martin Luther King Jr., Aquemini, Freaknik, Madea, Gucci Mane, a cluster of historically black colleges, the legacy of Jim Crow, the legacy of the Black Mafia Family, extreme black poverty, 40-plus years of black mayors, extreme black wealth, and perhaps America's largest black middle class — is an ideal laboratory to explore the true variety of the black experience.

It is set in the rap industry and Glover plays the manager of his character's cousin, who's breaking out on the scene.

The most frequently used sound bite so far is "Twin Peaks for rappers". This is not your prototypical show about the music industry. Glover is very determined to provide a real exploration and insight into what it truly feels like to be black in modern day America. 
Spoiler alert
One episode tackles police brutality.
[close]

Quote"I wanted to show white people, you don't know everything about black culture. The thesis with this show was to show people what it's like to be black, and you can't write that down. You have to feel it"
-Glover

His entire writing staff is black. I repeat. Every, Single, One of his writers are black, which I really, really admire. I find the writer's room really interesting, so hopefully this quote will be of interest to you too:
[nb]Sidenote: FX, the best channel in television, have been doing some really excellent work in increasing diversity behind the scenes of their shows. http://deadline.com/2016/08/fx-ceo-john-landgraff-female-non-white-directors-1201800952/[/nb]

QuoteWhen Glover was putting together the writers' room for the show, he looked close to home, hiring his younger brother Stephen (who previously worked as a songwriter) as a writer and story editor. The entire writing staff is black, which is virtually unheard of in television. And while many of the cast members and writing staff are Atlanta natives, with the exception of Glover and Stefani Robinson (FXX's Man Seeking Woman), it was everyone's first writers' room. The atmosphere was informal by design, and Glover asked the network if he could skip using an office. Instead, they worked in "just this house in Hollywood called the Factory. We would just sit around and have conversations," he explained. There, Glover would write during the day and make music at night.

QuoteFX was supportive of Glover's vision, even if it didn't always get it. An original suggestion from the network was for Paper Boi to live in a home as run-down and "traplike" as possible. "We were like, 'No, he's a drug dealer, he makes enough money to live in a regular apartment,' " Glover said. "There were some things so subtle and black that people had no idea what we were talking about." One actor purposefully delivered his line in a drawl that was nearly indecipherable if you didn't grow up in Atlanta. "After three takes, Hiro took me aside and was like, 'I don't know what he's saying.' To Hiro, this nigga is speaking patois." Glover laughed. "That character is an artifact. Culturally, we're becoming very homogenized. That dude isn't going to be around in seven years. You aren't going to be able to find him. White people are moving into Bankhead," one of the historically blackest neighborhoods in Atlanta. Glover paused. "It's important that dude gets represented in this show."

It IS gonna' be funny though, honest to God.

Quote"The No. 1 thing we kept coming back to is that it needs to be funny first and foremost. I never wanted this shit to be important. I never wanted this show to be about diversity; all that shit is wack to me. There's a lot of clapter going on." He was referencing a Seth Meyers coinage: politically correct humor that elicits applause but that isn't actually funny. "A lot of niggas be like ..." — Glover started clapping exaggeratedly — " 'So true, yes, so, so true.' But what you did isn't funny; they're just clapping and laughing to be on the right side of history."

One of the most exciting aspects of the show is the visual aspect, spearheaded by the best music video director working, Hiro Murai. Hiro has collaborated on an awful lot of things with Glover's Chlldish Gambino alter ego, here are some highlights from his career so far:

Massive Attack ft. Tricky & 3D- Take It There. https://vimeo.com/153562171#at=0
Flying Lotus ft. Kendrick Lamar- Never Catch Me. https://vimeo.com/108194249
Michael Kiwanuka- Black Man in a White World. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TYlcVNI2AM

Hiro and Glover have already collaborated on a short film, "Clapping for the Wrong Reasons", in the lead up to Childish Gambino's last album, "Before the Internet". To be honest I'm not sure if this will be similar in tone (my guess is it will be somewhat similar) but check it out if you fancy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_bONLcE8IA

TRAILERS.
They've been releasing short, vague ones so far. Such asssss.....

This one that was broadcasted in the middle of the finale of American Crime Story: OJ Simpson vs. The People.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyrcxa63ONU
This is an ammalgamation of several short trailers, I believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u38-7tB1Qs8

It has had nothing but rave reviews so far. This is the most thorough review so far:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/fxs-atlanta-tv-review-922153?utm_source=twitter
Alan Sepinwall has complimented it.
Todd VanDerWerff said:
QuoteI really love Atlanta, from FX. A Louie/Girls style show with much harder joke-jokes.

So, yeah. Atlanta is looking like a unique, strange, dream like little show about the black community and I for one cannot fucking wait. It begins with a two episode debut on September the 6th, in the year of our Lord 2016. I hope you watch it and enjoy it. X.

Small Man Big Horse

It certainly sounds fascinating and I can't wait to see it. Bit confused by the "Twin Peaks for rappers" description though, unless it's going to be more surreal and weird than it already sounds.

up_the_hampipe

Really didn't like "Clapping for the Wrong Reasons", it seemed to be trying a little too hard to be weird and artsy. From the trailers, Atlanta looks like a similar style.

I don't know what has happened to Donald Glover, by the way. There doesn't seem to be a flicker of the funny, joyous guy seen in the Community bloopers or his stand-up.

Squink

And thus the brief wave of optimism about this show was brought to a close.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Squink on August 25, 2016, 04:49:41 PM
And thus the brief wave of optimism about this show was brought to a close.

How dare I not think a show looks very good!

steveh

Doesn't seem to have a UK channel yet - waiting on what reception it gets in the States first I guess.

Harpo Speaks

QuoteThere's a lot of clapter going on." He was referencing a Seth Meyers coinage: politically correct humor that elicits applause but that isn't actually funny.

'Clapter'. Fucking hell that's shit.

Dr Funke

Quote from: steveh on September 01, 2016, 09:28:03 AM
Doesn't seem to have a UK channel yet - waiting on what reception it gets in the States first I guess.

Just been announced that Fox have picked it up over here and will air it in November.

kitsofan34

This begins TONIGHT. 2 episodes!

Everyone is saying it's good.

http://www.vox.com/2016/9/6/12777632/atlanta-review-fx-donald-glover-best-new-tv-shows?utm_campaign=tvoti&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2016/09/atlanta-examines-complexities-of-being-young-and-black

http://www.salon.com/2016/09/05/fearless-fresh-atlanta-donald-glovers-dreamy-surreal-series-is-infused-with-peculiar-magic/

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/06/arts/television/atlanta-fx-donald-glover.html?_r=0

Imagine if I didn't like it after all this lolllll.

Whenever I like something and then go on this board and see people slating it (Frank Ocean's two albums) it decreases my enjoyment of the piece of art. This is unfortunate, but I will not be posting in this thread after this. I have done my bit to raise awareness for this promising piece of comedy. I truly hope you all enjoy it very much.

X.

Moribunderast

I really enjoyed those first two episodes. In the early minutes I was concerned by the lack of humour and I thought Donald may have fallen into the trap of being "worthy" ahead of being funny. As time wore on, though, the jokes came at a steady rate, particularly in that second episode. Glover plays a much more serious character than we're used to seeing from him but he can't help but have impeccable comic timing, even while playing less broad than usual.

Most of the characters introduced seem to have potential. I already enjoy Paperboy and his buddy. The best stuff seemed to come from one-off interactions, though. Off the top of my head, my main highlights were
Spoiler alert
"I know you don't know me but can I measure your tree?" "... Not right now." "Aw man, that always means 'no'" and the guy in jail telling the story about running into an old friend, punctuated with a great reveal and delivery of "Fuck you, man!"
[close]
Lots of other funny moments -
Spoiler alert
Paperboy interfering in that family's business, the crazy guy in jail, the "gay" guy.
[close]
It actually did hold true to Glover's interview where any scene may be covering a deeper issue but there's always levity there.
Spoiler alert
Not too much levity at the end of the crazy guy scene, obviously.
[close]

Yeah, I think this'll be a good television program.

up_the_hampipe

Well, that trailer certainly gave me the wrong impression. Really enjoyed those first two episodes. It was nothing like 'Clapping for the Wrong Reasons'. Good characters all round, natural and often funny dialogue, interesting story. Well done, Donald.

phantom_power

Yeah really good. Glover is just a natural comic talent, getting laughs from pauses in delivery, small gestures and facial expressions, and choice of words and intonation. A lot more serious than we are used to from his comedy output, but with some interesting things to say. That doesn't get in the way of the comedy though

Zetetic

The second episode felt dangerously like a collection of scenes (noting that's obviously a consequence of its premise) rather than something more coherent. Not worrying in itself, but a little worrying as a second episode.

Other than that, it was far better than I thought it would be and felt like it might become something better still.

phantom_power

I think episode 2 worked as a series of vignettes of life in a police station. Alongside that you had the interesting plot regarding Paper Boi and his struggle to live up to the gangsta reputation that he now has

Small Man Big Horse

It's just been renewed for a second season, along with Pamela Adlon's superb Better Things, which is good news: http://www.avclub.com/article/fx-renews-atlanta-and-better-things-242887

hewantstolurkatad

Still enjoying this, at times the tone sways off a bit (e.g. Donald Glover's response to the one in McDonalds spotting him steal the coca cola seems overly broad for him) but there's nothing to imply it won't stay good.

With Fargo, the Americans and the People vs OJ Simpson on the drama side and their comedies, FX has been having a bloody strong 12 months

benthalo

Impressed with both this and Better Things. Well done the Americas.

up_the_hampipe

Episode 7 is fucking funny and clever. Watch it. You don't even need to follow the story of the series either, it's a brilliant episode on its own. But follow the series because it's great.

phantom_power

I really enjoyed the episode focusing on Van. Not massively funny but interesting all the same and the ending was killer

phantom_power

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on October 13, 2016, 01:21:57 AM
Episode 7 is fucking funny and clever. Watch it. You don't even need to follow the story of the series either, it's a brilliant episode on its own. But follow the series because it's great.

Yeah, another really interesting episode, but funny as well this time. It took a very sensitive minefield of a subject and treated it pretty even-handedly I thought. Without being too po-faced though. I did think that when they talked about trans-race people they would reference back to the white-face kid from the last episode but this was even better.

This show really does make me think about what it is to be black in America in ways that I have never though about before, but again not in an overly worthy way

I take it there is no legit way to watch this in the UK yet?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: bonesbonesbonesbones on October 14, 2016, 12:04:01 PM
I take it there is no legit way to watch this in the UK yet?

Not yet - it's being broadcast here later in the year. Just had a quick check and it's 6 November on Fox.

kitsofan34

God damn god DAMN what a series. Totally original, unique, a singular vision. Great, great debut series.

up_the_hampipe

Yes, excellent. I'll never question Dong Lover again. Also thinking of starting a Zazie Beetz fan club.

Ja'moke

I haven't watched the finale yet, but I've absolutely adored this first series, especially the B.A.N. episode (very Tim & Eric). Darius is also an excellent character.

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, B.A.N. might be my favourite piece of television this year.

steveh

So far I'm enjoying this a lot. The first episode I wasn't sure about as it really throws you in the deep end and the first one is also a bit mumbly at times, but it's a brilliant portrait of people whose life could collapse with just the slightest mis-step.

SteveDave

I watched the first seven episodes of this last night and can not wait to watch the remaining three.

It brought to mind 15 Stories High for me.

And the "B.A.N." episode had me at first confused and then screeching with laughter. Especially at the adverts.