Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:48:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Atlanta", starring Donald Glover. FX. 6th September.

Started by kitsofan34, August 25, 2016, 12:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

I'd been watching this on and off but got a bit bored during the sixth episode and took a break. But then I've just binged the last four episodes over the last two days and absolutely loved them, it's really become something quite special and maybe I need to revisit the earlier episodes (some of which I liked a lot) to see if I enjoy them more. Especially liked the tiny surreal moments, like the invisible car, and, well, all of episode seven which was amazing stuff, but the ads inbetween segments were some of my favourite scenes of the series. And even then the black guy in the wig and Paperboi's reaction to him was the best moment of that episode. So I can't wait for this to return now, and I'm so glad I gave it a second chance.

up_the_hampipe

Two Golden Globes wins last night. Atlanta won for best TV musical or comedy and Dong Lover won for best actor in TV musical or comedy. Nice to see it getting recognition.

Howj Begg

Hat FM

series 2 delayed until 2018 due to Lando Calrissian. the traitor.

amnesiac

Just binged 6.5 eps, no apologies for bumping this. I don't know why I wasn't all over this when it launched, I thought (as someone said earlier) it would be too worthy or gritty at the expense of being funny, so it was languishing in my Sky planner.

I was hooked pretty much immediately (it really helps to have subtitles) and was amazed that I understood pretty much all the cultural references, I've even heard of Gucci Mane. Right form the off I'm rooting for Earn to do well, for Paper Boi to succeed, and for Darius to be in every single scene; he is a brilliantly unique comic creation and I hang off every word he says - did Genghis Khan really have a wheel to measure people's height, I'm not googling it, if Darius says so then it so.

The BAN episode is ridiculously good, the fake adverts ('it's on the can, though', the cereal advert as commentary on police brutality, the Nuttela sandwich cult) are so obviously brilliant that it's easy to overlook Paperboi formulating his opinions on the clashing vectors of identity, diversity and repression. Just stunning. I've actually only watched it up to the end of the cereal ad because I kept re-watching it and was actually crying with laughter.

Black Bieber was nothing short of remarkable - I had a look around the internet and it seems that everyone initially thought it was the guy behind him, it takes a good minute before it clicks what they've done. When they initially sent that script to Fox they were asked if they thought (the real) Bieber would be willing/ available for the role...but to be fair I don't think it's obvious at all from the script (that's sort of the point).

'Streets on Lock' is probably the strongest episode I've seen so far (it may get even better). When Paper Boi expresses surprise that Earn had never been arrested before (although it was fleeting comment) I had a real sense of their place in society and their resignation to their fate. The array of characters passing through the system were of course funny as fuck but then you're hit in the solar plexus with the treatment dished out to the mentally ill guy and his screams of pain serves as a massive reset button.

It's my favourite thing of 2017 even though I was meant to watch it last year and when I'm done I'm going to watch them all again.

Johnny Yesno

I've finally seen this and thought it was great. Marcus Miles and his invisible car slayed me. Proof it's real is on his instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/officialmarcusmiles/?hl=en

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on November 02, 2016, 08:11:37 PM
Also thinking of starting a Zazie Beetz fan club.

Where can I sign up?

up_the_hampipe

Katt Williams won an Emmy for his appearance in S02E01. Good.