Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:56:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game of Thrones Series Seven

Started by Gurke and Hare, August 31, 2016, 09:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

I hope they get in a Twin Peaks cameo like Fargo and Better Call Saul managed.

Mr Eggs

"You bald bastard. That topknot isn't fooling anyone"

Highlight of the episode.

Dog Botherer

The Hound stuff was outstanding. Everything else... was not good, to put it kindly.

Especially that one scene with that fucking ginger cunt. Took me completely out of the episode. What the fuck were they thinking?

Mr Eggs

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 17, 2017, 03:25:11 AM
Especially that one scene with that fucking ginger cunt. Took me completely out of the episode. What the fuck were they thinking?

"Ooo arr bramble woin, we got"

I was expecting Needle fair up that singing ginger pricks arse. Shocking

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Mr Eggs on July 17, 2017, 03:32:51 AM
"Ooo arr bramble woin, we got"

I was expecting Needle fair up that singing ginger pricks arse. Shocking

The one fucking time she has a crisis of conscience. What a fucking waste.

Mr Eggs

She might have ended up wearing Ed Sheeran's fucking face. Which is something I'd like to see repeatedly peeled off and re-used.

Praps that's the spin-off show.

Dog Botherer

Rory McCann wandering around Westeros calling people cunts is the spinoff we need.

Arya Sheeran is the spinoff we deserve.

Dex Sawash

Who the fuck's Ed Sheeran [/cramamel]

Mr Eggs

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 17, 2017, 03:51:26 AM
Who the fuck's Ed Sheeran [/cramamel]

I'm no longer responding to comments in this thread because I'm watching Twin Peaks on account of it being better to gob off about how clever I am at seeing shit that thick cunts like you aint fucking noticed.

Mr Eggs

Mister Six

Really solid opener. Good character moments for everyone, all the plots in gear and ready to go. I do question matey there having a massive fleet when he lost half his men and all his ships at the end of last season. I know about a year has passed, but where did he get all the other crews from?

Hangthebuggers

The Hound and the Brotherhood make a great team don't they? The rest of the episode was okay I guess, but the bit with the Hound burying bodies gave me chills. Really glad his character is changing for the better.

Also glad the Freys got to choke...

Oh and it was quite humanising to see Arya dining with the Lannister soldiers. Clever little touch with the guest right and refusing food as she was obviously planning on killing them - then she heard their life stories about having kids, wives, elderly parents. Was a nice touch that brought home the complications of war and innocence on all sides....

Mr Eggs

Quote from: Mister Six on July 17, 2017, 04:34:25 AM
Really solid opener. Good character moments for everyone, all the plots in gear and ready to go. I do question matey there having a massive fleet when he lost half his men and all his ships at the end of last season. I know about a year has passed, but where did he get all the other crews from?

Euron just grows boats. He's that kind of a Greyjoy squidlad.

Mr Eggs

Gulftastic

Solid opener. Set everything up. I too wish Arya had killed fucking Sheeran. Great to see Sean out off of 'This Is England' pop up.

Sansa cutting Littlefinger dead was nice, but she's going to be trouble, and they need to be careful in having every scene with Jon and his followers end with Lady Mormont telling them what's what. They are overdoing it.

Now, where were the tits?

BritishHobo

Some shonky dialogue here and there - and an unforgivably toe-curling cameo - but aye, scenes like the Hound and Denni Pennis show that the showrunners have still got it, and the loss of source material shouldn't be a worry.

It's a shame about Sheeran, because that was otherwise a wonderful scene. Thomas Turgoose was lovely, and it's exactly what this series is so good at; pairing up conflicting groups, and humanising both. So how did they ever think that cringeworthy 'it's a new song' shit was a good idea, or Sheeran redundantly sticking in the middle whenever Turgoose passes Arya something? And most frustratingly, I really want Turgoose and his gang to be recurring characters, but I want Ed to go away now.

Really enjoyed the opener. Was some nice fan service with a few of the lines "the north remembers" "shall we begin" "i see a mountain"

But that Ed Sheeran bit can GTF. Was very much in the vein of that Chris Martin bit in Extras, if that wasn't enough to take you out of the program they purposely panned over his face a few times. And agreed the scene itself would have been lovely, with Thurgoose excellent and showing the reality of war and just who Ayra could have killed without a second thought based on their uniforms a minute earlier.

Hobo

I think we will return to that group next week, showing the aftermath of little lady stone balls and needle. It would demonstrate her complete loss of empathy having had them humanised this episode and her unquenchable thirst for vengeance, seems the sort of thing the producers would do.

Thought Euron was better too, his digs at Jamie and his cockiness were believably done.

Also, another vote for the Hound being MVP though they should really vary the language, his use of the C word is being diluted through repetition. It should be savoured for those who truly deserve it.

Mobius

Yep that Sheeran cameo was awful, rest was awesome.

Why does he get to be in it? Because he's famous? Why can't that role go to an unknown actor who could be the next big thing. Load of bollocks. If you love the show don't fuck if up by going on it. You aren't an actor.

The Hound is ace.

BritishHobo

Also I was expecting it to be like the Coldplay or Snow Patrol fellas, just playing in a music troupe. This was so on the nose.

Butchers Blind

More of a catch-up episode than moving anything forward.  Good to see Broadbent and the scenes with the Hound were well done. 
Ed Sheeran though... if Arya has stabbed him in the face maybe.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

I don't know why they had to do it, but I would have found it far more forgiveable if they didn't keep lingering on his face. Should have been far more subtle.

Bhazor

Finally see our first proper Westeros turd. Good to get some realism in the fantasy series.

NoSleep

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 17, 2017, 03:25:11 AM
The Hound stuff was outstanding.

Nonetheless the tropiest moment of the episode came when Dennis Pennis bonded with the Hound to bury the father and child. GRRM will be seething.

Can't stand Euron; dunno if it's the character or the actor I hate worst (and I love a great baddie usually).

Golden E. Pump

I'm bored of Dany and Arya and the show is going to focus on these two isn't it?

Arya's faceless man thing seems overpowered and a handy Deus Ex Machina (oh look, it wasn't Arya/that dead character after all!) and so she doesn't seem vulnerable anymore. I just don't think I'd gain satisfaction from seeing her murder anyone - the Hound should be the one to kill The Mountain and Jaime should kill Cersei for example.

The whole Dany story is the most conventional part of the plot in terms of it being a straightforward 'avenge the death of my family by growing stronger and stronger' trope. I will, however, be happy if she turns out to be the villain and someone has to put her down.

The Jorah thing should make the Sam plot more interesting, though. And as echoed previously I thought the Hound/Beric/Thoros scene was great, especially when I realised that this was the same place he had visited with Arya earlier.

In terms of predictions I think that Thoros and Beric will die (meaning Beric cannot come back) fighting The Others with the Wildlings at Eastwatch. Beric was given a mission to kill The Mountain by Ned Stark way back in season one. I think then when he is dying (possibly with Ned's 'son' Jon Snow in the vicinity) he will pass this mission on to the Hound, who will gladly head south to fight his brother at the end of the season.

I think that Arya will travel towards King's Landing but possibly bump into the Red Woman, who will send her to Winterfell to be with her family.

I think Euron will kill Yara or Theon (or both, but I see Theon surviving) and severely weaken Daenerys' army at Dragonstone. The 'priceless' gift he mentions to Cersei may well be a dragon. At some point Jon will travel to Dragonstone with Davos and seek help from Daenerys to help fight the White Walkers. Daenerys won't be convinced that they are real and will demand proof, which possibly means Jon venturing to Eastwatch with Tormund (and the Brotherhood) to capture a wight or even a White Walker. While he's gone, Little Finger will attempt to increase his grip on power over the North via Sansa, but Arya might put that to bed.

Sam will find out what he needs but not be able to leave. Jorah will tell him he can help him if he finds a cure.

maett

Sam's montage was delighful, a highlight for me. I await the GIF.

Head Gardener

until then, here be dragon kite

Dex Sawash

Quote from: maett on July 17, 2017, 04:07:16 PM

a little bit of the old in-out in-out

Bhazor

Quote from: maett on July 17, 2017, 04:07:16 PM

Yeah that sequence was great and felt surprisingly Edgar Wright-y pure visual storytelling. The final silent sequence of Dany walking through Dragon Stone was also really effective. Nice to just soak in the sets for a minute. It's interesting to see them embrace film making as they stray further from the books. Previous series have had awkward moments where they try to cram the book into a TV series. Its good to see them break away from that.

That said I imagine theres going to be Hollywood screenwriting moments that are bound to piss me off if I stop to think about it. Like Euron making a thousand seaworthy ships in the space of a month on an island with fuck all trees.

Pijlstaart

At the beginning, how come they all die, it doesn't make any sense? Magic, I get, she magics into the old lady so she can pretend to be it, but that doesn't mean she magics them all to death, that's not even magic, that's pretend. So no idea what's going on there, they couldn't all be dead. Not realistic.

Winterfell got a new maester, did you notice that? New maester. Weird looking, worse than me, If I saw him working in a coffee shop I'd turn on my heel, never mind let him cook up all the medicine and mind the children. A real sorry bunch, the maesters. Not worthy of the respect they get, like F1 drivers, it's a symptom of a broken society. The fat goober with the slicked-back hair, like what they're selling on the high-street, that won't age this series well. Just give him some skinny jeans and be done with it. Glad he's cleaning poo and glad that daddy's coming for him. An inveterate thief, he can't help himself and he'll get smote in twain by big daddy's big sword. Just hope Jorah the explorer doesn't save him, hope daddy tears Jorah's frail leper body apart like a fresh croissant, and goober gets leper blood in his mouth and has to turn into the fattest smelliest leper of all before daddy kills him, and his wife'll be looking through the grate, and nodding, because it'll be good he's being killed because he's a wastrel leper thief.

Greyjoy boats look crap and weird, not pirate ships, not motley, not maneuverable. How'd they make all those, it'd take an age even with 3d printers, and there's as many boats as people. It'll just be one tatty ironborn running from port to starboard with an oar, that's how they'll move because there aren't enough crewmembers, and it'll be shit. Danish fellow, pillow arseache, wearing some ridiculous k-pop fleece, looks an absolute state, and so do his boats. Loved Jaime taking the piss out of them, much deserved. They just can't do anything good with the greyjoys, yara I liked, yara I thought was good and then she gets chased out of the dreadfort by dogs, she'd got 50 men and heavy weapons but she gets chased off by dogs, and then she unconvincingly tries to be lesbian. "Oi oi lads, I'm off for a nice mouthful of tits, from off of a woman, wahay! Love looking and smacking at female tits, this one!". No, rip the piss out of them, that I like.

Ed Sheeran, jesus. "Iss a noo wun", "Is a noo hit single". Ruined a good scene, his fucking smirking rotten pumpkin face, and he'll never understand  what he did. A good episode apart from him, but he's opened the door, if this series turns to shit we can blame it on that moment, we can blame it on him.