Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:30:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Even after 16 years, ‘Jam’ is still the sickest TV comedy ever made"

Started by amnesiac, September 01, 2016, 10:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amnesiac

Petey Pate

Richard Metzger is a comedian?  I suppose I'll have to check out that Disinformation series.

amnesiac

Sorry yeah he's not a comedian at all but a highly decorated officer in the SS.

Glebe

Ambient Sheep

I like what one commenter wrote on that article:

QuoteI've always described "Jam" as if David Lynch had directed episodes of Monty Python.

as someone replied:

QuoteOoo, that is a perfect description.

I've noticed they're re-running them on Gold.  Sometime I must compare them against the DVD to see if they've cut anything (they're clearly different edits to some degree as they end with a Talkback logo rather than the link to the jamcredits website), unless of course somebody already has...

(And wasn't the DVD cut compared to the TV show?  Or was that only Brass Eye?  My original off-air VHS must be well buried by now.)

Spiteface

Brass Eye had some music here and there altered on the DVD, if I remember correctly.

Benevolent Despot

JAM was my first exposure to Chris Morris. It felt like a grubby discovery at the time, discovering it through my habit-of-the-time of staying up into the early hours to watch all the weird shit on Channel 4 in the hope of something smutty to satisfy my sexual needs / and or anything else hidden and weird.

28 years old I was. Well not really. The first episode was broadcast two days after my 14th birthday, so I got a fairly heavy dose of dreamlike nightmare humouric netherworld gloopiness in a formative year. After buying the DVD years later, I didn't think it was a masterwork or anything, but I do still sort of believe it's the ultimate end-state of comedy. All roads lead to Jam and end there.

Really, the netherworld is actually then until now, and forever into the future. No more avenues of comedy to go down, pal.

Glebe

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 01, 2016, 07:36:24 PMI like what one commenter wrote on that article:

QuoteI've always described "Jam" as if David Lynch had directed episodes of Monty Python.

Ha ha, good one!

HappyTree

Confession time: I have never played the Dane seen Jam. Well you know, I kept meaning to. I wuz gonna. TDT, many times. Brass Eye, quite a few though not as many. Jam felt like a step into an unpleasant world I'd find unpleasant. But then someone linked to a YT clip of it here, recently, and I thought ok yes this is something I have to see.

Will get the DVD soon for me buffday.

Puce Moment

Blue Jam is much more immersive and, in many ways, more disturbing, but Jam is just wonderful with its visual flourishes and boldness.

For me, Blue Jam is the pinnacle of Morris' work, but Jam is really fucking wonderful too.

Hundhoon

I have... actually.. got ....two tickets to see... CATS.... tonight!

Prehaps you'd like to see CATS with me??..

Shall..i um..pick you up in a taxi then..

Quote from: Hundhoon on September 06, 2016, 04:10:58 AM
I have... actually.. got ....two tickets to see... CATS.... tonight!

Prehaps you'd like to see CATS with me??..

Shall..i um..pick you up in a taxi then..

Cats???

Pepotamo1985

He's almost invariably the standout element of a sketch, if not the entire episode, of whatever Morris project he features in - even if he's just a background player and says/does little. Admittedly, all his roles are broadly similar pretty much, but his command of that range is phenomenal. In Blue Jam, for instance, he elevates the kidnapping helpline sketch to crazy levels of quality - he's so funny the inherent horror of the subject matter is basically forgotten. His slightly smug, slightly relieved delivery of the "child's pelvis" line is unreal. Elsewhere, in the unnecessary operations sketch, I just totally buy he's a drug addicted doctor being blackmailed by a school friend into carving people up for no reason.

Agreed about David Cann, he's probably the most deft at delivering Morris'  unwieldy dialogue apart from the man himself, and even then its close.

Love Cann too, I remember when some wag at the casting dept. of Eastenders gave him the gig as the doctor of all things, he certainly made it sort of watchable for a bit.

Petey Pate

Quote from: captaincockring on September 08, 2016, 12:44:38 AM
Love Cann too, I remember when some wag at the casting dept. of Eastenders gave him the gig as the doctor of all things, he certainly made it sort of watchable for a bit.

It also gave the opportunity for someone on this forum (presumably) to have fun with the footage and remix it in the style of Jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWDQ5BtaTA

Cann also showed up in the second series of Psychoville playing a doctor.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 09, 2016, 10:36:56 AM
It also gave the opportunity for someone on this forum (presumably) to have fun with the footage and remix it in the style of Jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWDQ5BtaTA

Cann also showed up in the second series of Psychoville playing a doctor.

Brilliant.  "It's imporrrtant you do this Mrs Braaaannning." 

Even in the original un-Jaaaam'd version, Cann must have been playing up for Jam fans in that role -  maybe just a little bit?

Ambient Sheep

I definitely think so.  It's basically the same Doctor as in Jam, just somewhat saner than he normally is.

That's actually not the Jamified version that I remember seeing at the time - I guess there were a few knocking about (I remember seeing two, one of which might have been that one, but actually I don't think it was, so there's probably at least three in existence).

Spoon of Ploff

^ I've got a couple of alt versions on a hard drive somewhere. Probably sourced them from here back in the day.

One has some nice visual effects, including the face of Ian Beale appearing and disappearing in the background. And another has a voice over line "tell her she has cancer of the giblets."