Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:25:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brasseye Brexit Special

Started by Dr Rock, September 01, 2016, 01:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Do you think there is enough material that Morris could come back to do a Brexit Brasseye? There's certainly enough people in the street to make look stupid with their rubbish, ignorant opinions. I thought of it after the news was talking to some general publics about what should happen now and one woman said 'They need to get on with it. Just get on with it. Not next year, now. Get on with it... you know, we had the vote, now get on with it. What would I say to Theresa May? Get on with it!'

You'd have enough famous people you could trick, loads will have their guards down now because it's been ages since the paedo special. And add into the mix how easy it is to be a celeb these days, get someone off Gogglebox to lend their weight to a stupid cause about putting refugees up chimneys or something. Ideas welcome!

Or is the whole thing beyond satire? Would YOU, yes you madam, like to see a Brasseye Brexit Special? I BLOODY would.

Can't you just watch Brexageddon?! and pretend that somebody good did it?

Glebe

Damn it, Dr Rock, don't do that! I thought (rather naively, admittedly) that this was a real thing...

Queneau

News coverage is more or less beyond parody now, isn't it? There'd be little to add. I'd also be surprised if Morris would want to retread an old format. Nah, mate, dead in the water.

Petey Pate

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on September 01, 2016, 01:34:04 PM
Can't you just watch Brexageddon?! and pretend that somebody good did it?

Someone my mate knows was in that.  He's one of the pro-Brexit expats living in Spain that they interview.  I still don't want to watch it though because I know it'll be shit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

weekender once proposed Brass Eye: The War on Terror, something that effectively was realised in Four Lions.

I think Brexit could make an episode of a brand new series but not a special.

The reaction to and natural controversy zenit of a paedophilia Brass Eye came with an inbuilt guarantee it was never coming back.

Depressed Beyond Tables

It would not surprise me to find out that Chris Morris voted to leave the EU.

Guy

Animals
Drugs
Science
Sex
Crime
Moral Decline
Paedophilia
... Britain exiting the European Union.

I'd say there's a bit of a mismatch in thematic magnitude.

Being such a procedural event, you could only really get into taking the piss out of the main players involved (ie. like any topical satire you care to mention) and indulging in a bit of 'cuh, the government eh' eye-rolling. Brass Eye was never really an exercise in flying that low.

mobias

Something like Screenwipe is way better suited to tackle Brexit.

Quote from: Queneau on September 01, 2016, 04:00:49 PM
News coverage is more or less beyond parody now, isn't it?

Yup. Thats very much the problem all satirical current affairs shows face.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Whenever anyone apes Brass Eye, they always seem to focus on a very specific subject, whereas the show itself always had a very broad remit for each show - Arguably, one of the potential issues with the 2001 special was its comparably limited scope, Morris and co having already touched on the subject of Paedophilia in the main series' 'Sex'.

It'd be more likely to see a 'Politics' episode that featured a segment documenting a Brexit-like event, before moving onto other areas within the brief.

Pissant

Quote from: Guy on October 02, 2016, 04:28:19 PM
Animals
Drugs
Science
Sex
Crime
Moral Decline
Paedophilia
... Britain exiting the European Union.

Historically accurate.