Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,385
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:27:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

More mobile phone advice please

Started by Shit Good Nose, September 06, 2016, 01:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

As this is a somewhat different set of circumstances, I won't hijack Shoulders' sort-of similar thread.

We've just been told by our employer that, due to budget cuts, mobile phones will no longer be provided and we will instead be given the ability to access work stuff on our personal mobiles.

Unlike most others who have opted to carry 2 phones around with them, I've always used my work phone as my personal mobile as well and had a separate arrangement with Orange where I pay for my personal calls, texts and data usage.  Bit of a ballache, but it worked for me.

However, I am now looking at having to procure my own mobile.

Now, as I'm happy to do the research myself, I don't really want specific phone recs, the main thing I want to know is whether I'm better off buying a mobile outright and then getting a a giffgaff type thing (a la Shoulders), or if opting for a contract will be better, because prior to this I always had pay as you go phones, but that was before anyone ever thought the current state of smart mobiles would be possible.

Personally, cost is the main consideration, however with our IT folk actively working on moving everyone towards being able to access everything from anywhere at any time, I imagine that I will need to keep up with this, so a contract with a new phone every few years might be the one to go for.

However, I'm also assuming that I will get much more for my money for calls, texts and data (the most important one for work purposes) with a SIM only deal.

Thoughts?

MojoJojo

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 06, 2016, 01:54:44 PM
Now, as I'm happy to do the research myself, I don't really want specific phone recs, the main thing I want to know is whether I'm better off buying a mobile outright and then getting a a giffgaff type thing (a la Shoulders), or if opting for a contract will be better, because prior to this I always had pay as you go phones, but that was before anyone ever thought the current state of smart mobiles would be possible.

Might be worth talking to your IT people, but it depends.

You need to work out what you think your usage would be, and compare how much a sim only contract + phone is to a contract with phone deal is.

If you can predict what your usage is it's simple.[nb]I did use to assume that sim free would always be cheaper, since you're not taking credit, but having looked more recently it does seem that some contracts are better[/nb]

QuoteI imagine that I will need to keep up with this, so a contract with a new phone every few years might be the one to go for.

That's mental. You only get a new phone if you sign up to a new contract, so there really is no sense in it. Just work out the total cost over two years.

Shit Good Nose

See, this is highlighting my complete lack of knowledge of mobiles.

I am shit for cunt.

I'd be telling my work to fuck right off if they wanted me to pay for a device in order to access their systems and do my actual job.

That's like going in on a Friday and being told to bring your laptop from Monday onwards as the company won't be providing a computer.

I realise that doesn't answer your question but it's annoying that more companies are taking more liberties and asking staff to provide things that the employer should do.

In answer to your question - get a contract. When I was looking for my last phone in May third party retailers were pretty much always cheaper than going direct to the providers themselves. Stick what you're looking for in a price comparison site like this one: http://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Peter P. Parrot on September 08, 2016, 02:50:55 AM
I'd be telling my work to fuck right off if they wanted me to pay for a device in order to access their systems and do my actual job.

That's like going in on a Friday and being told to bring your laptop from Monday onwards as the company won't be providing a computer.

I realise that doesn't answer your question but it's annoying that more companies are taking more liberties and asking staff to provide things that the employer should do.

I COMPLETELY agree with you, however public sector...

It's got to a point where there is practically no meat left on the bone, so given the choice of dropping a provided mobile, or facing a pay cut (which would almost certainly end up being more than the cost of providing my own mobile for work purposes), or, even worse, losing my job, I know which one I'd rather go for.