Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:28:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

iPhone 7

Started by mobias, September 07, 2016, 10:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Chromecast Audio might be a good replacement for connecting your iPhone to conventional hifi gear. If your source files are lossless, they'll probably still be lossless via the Chromecast.

ooh that's some nice aliasing in that picture

kngen

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 20, 2016, 04:09:40 PM
Ah, good point - totally forgot about that. In that kind of car set-up though, often some kind of Bluetooth (and inexpensive) kit would be used.

Not in our one - we got the most basic Ford in its class, so no Bluetooth connection (hence use of 3.5mm cable to car stereo input). We did however get a shot of a nicer model when ours was getting repaired - and once you've got Ford's proprietary bluetooth thing up and running after several years of setting it up, it actually works quite nicely - you can control Spotify through the dashboard console and steering wheel buttons. Well, it works beautifully with Android. With an iPhone, however, you have to keep the data cable connected betwixt phone and dashboard. Unfortunately, that doesn't charge the phone as quickly as the cigarette lighter adapter does, so, if you're listening to music and using GPS, you're draining faster than you're charging.

Why does iOS require the cable to be connected when Android doesn't? Fuck knows, but it's just another case where the world is wrong, and Apple is right, and the world should obviously change to accommodate them, so that 'it just works'.

phantom_power

Quote from: kngen on September 20, 2016, 06:56:19 PM
Not in our one - we got the most basic Ford in its class, so no Bluetooth connection (hence use of 3.5mm cable to car stereo input).

I think you can get little Bluetooth adapters that fit into the stereo jack

Repeater

You can. I use one. Dirt cheap

Blumf

Ignatius_S

Quote from: kngen on September 20, 2016, 06:56:19 PMNot in our one - we got the most basic Ford in its class, so no Bluetooth connection (hence use of 3.5mm cable to car stereo input).

What I had in mind was what phantom power and Repeater were talking about – a bluetooth receiver that plugs into a stereo's 3.5mm jack.  It's a very cheap way of transmitting music from a device with BT and dead easy to set-up – but there's obviously nothing wrong with using a cable as in your set-up, obviously.

Quote from: kngen on September 20, 2016, 06:56:19 PM...Why does iOS require the cable to be connected when Android doesn't? Fuck knows, but it's just another case where the world is wrong, and Apple is right, and the world should obviously change to accommodate them, so that 'it just works'.

IIRC, Ford were very proactive in getting this sort of functionality into cars and it was very quick to do so – as it was doing so, Apple was working on Carplay, which lets uses use iOS wirelessly and that Ford now uses.

Carplay was a long time in development and I suspect that was the reason for the wireless incompatibility – Apple will take its time.

Although I understand the frustration about it allowing one device to work wirelessly, but not another, what we're talking about is two companies not working with other when it wasn't in both their interests to do so. Different car manufacturers were coming up with their own systems for this functionality - Ford would have needed Apple's help to have parity with Android, which would have provided a commercial advantage to Ford, so would Ford pay for that?

kngen

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 21, 2016, 01:28:24 PM
What I had in mind was what phantom power and Repeater were talking about – a bluetooth receiver that plugs into a stereo's 3.5mm jack.  It's a very cheap way of transmitting music from a device with BT and dead easy to set-up – but there's obviously nothing wrong with using a cable as in your set-up, obviously.

I had no idea that these even existed (probably because cars are like a foreign country to me) so will be getting one for the missus pronto. Cheers for the tip, folks!

Quote from: Ignatius_S on September 21, 2016, 01:28:24 PM
IIRC, Ford were very proactive in getting this sort of functionality into cars and it was very quick to do so – as it was doing so, Apple was working on Carplay, which lets uses use iOS wirelessly and that Ford now uses.

Carplay was a long time in development and I suspect that was the reason for the wireless incompatibility – Apple will take its time.

Although I understand the frustration about it allowing one device to work wirelessly, but not another, what we're talking about is two companies not working with other when it wasn't in both their interests to do so. Different car manufacturers were coming up with their own systems for this functionality - Ford would have needed Apple's help to have parity with Android, which would have provided a commercial advantage to Ford, so would Ford pay for that?

Fair point. It just seemed like another in a long line of instances where (as an Android user who has to deal with my wife's Apple-related tech issues [nb]don't get me started about the utter ballache of switching her UK iTunes account to a US one just so she can transfer her pics from her UK phone to her US one. FUCKING HELL![/nb]) where what is simple and practical as drag and drop in my world becomes an arcane journey of mysterious protocols and obstacles in hers. So the Ford thing seems of a piece (as does the headphone jack issue) -  where you have to adhere to Apple's rules, and if you don't, they say 'My ball. Not playing!'. It strikes me as diametrically opposite to the amazing user-friendly functionality their reputation has coasted along on for years.

Porter Dimi

Quote from: Blumf on September 21, 2016, 11:07:08 AM
Quick fix:

Good old TechRax. Still love the video where he tries to cook an iPhone in crayons and nearly burns his house down.

Head Gardener