Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:55:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

iPhone 7

Started by mobias, September 07, 2016, 10:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Quote from: imitationleather on September 08, 2016, 04:38:53 PM
Back on-topic: The lack of a headphone jack on this new iPhone is a total joke, but yes I can see most of the high end phones adopting this before too long.

I wonder how this is actually going to work.  Not everyone uses iPhones, and I've not heard anything about them releasing the Lightning spec for everyone else to use on Android etc.  As much as Apple wish it wasn't the case, Android does have some market share.  I'd have thought also #NotAllAudiophiles

So high end headphone manufacturers will make "Apple Edition" versions and mark up the price?  Supply a lightning-back-to-3.5mm adapter in the box for people who still want to use them on every other audio device in the world (aside from the Gameboy SP)?

Squink

Love the 7, it looks great. What's the problem? Headphone jack? Get rid of that shit. Of course the rate of innovation in smartphones was going to slow down. It's not going to turn into a fucking spaceship or something. Love Apple.

Uncle TechTip

But it's down to the app to support it. Besides, having been down this road, you won't recover enough space to make a difference. Move your pictures etc before trying the apps.

It's drastic but I understand a factory reset can put new life into old phones.

mobias

Quote from: Squink on September 08, 2016, 05:53:45 PM
Love the 7, it looks great. What's the problem? Headphone jack? Get rid of that shit. Of course the rate of innovation in smartphones was going to slow down. It's not going to turn into a fucking spaceship or something. Love Apple.

I presume you're joking? Have you ever used decent quality blu-tooth headphones? They don't exist.

If the 3.5mm to lighting jack adapter is lossy then its game over if you value the quality of your headphones, which I do. 

Benevolent Despot

My work bought a lot of us iPads. I don't like how Apple products have become the industry standard work-devices. The first recourse is the most expensive and least flexible device. It makes no sense except for the fact that Apple have somehow attained industry inertia and are now bought because they are so widespread, and everyone knows how to use them. I still think it's the equivalent of every common man buying a Mercedes. It's rationally inexplicable yet trendily accepted. You're wasting your money, pal.

I have a 4S 'cos work got us a 3S a few years ago and I got used to it, so on handing it back, I bought a 4S for the better camera and screen. My next phone's gonna be 'driod, but I really want one that's the same size as the 4S. I get frustrated by phones that need two hands to use. They're disabling.

Squink

Quote from: mobias on September 08, 2016, 06:04:06 PM
I presume you're joking? Have you ever used decent quality blu-tooth headphones? They don't exist.

If the 3.5mm to lighting jack adapter is lossy then its game over if you value the quality of your headphones, which I do.

Not joking. I don't really care about audio quality on my phone, all I do is stream from Spotify or Apple Music. Blu-tooth headphones are perfectly fine for that.

Quote from: Benevolent Despot on September 08, 2016, 06:07:21 PM
My work bought a lot of us iPads. I don't like how Apple products have become the industry standard work-devices. The first recourse is the most expensive and least flexible device. It makes no sense except for the fact that Apple have somehow attained industry inertia and are now bought because they are so widespread, and everyone knows how to use them. I still think it's the equivalent of every common man buying a Mercedes. It's rationally inexplicable yet trendily accepted. You're wasting your money, pal.

I have a 4S 'cos work got us a 3S a few years ago and I got used to it, so on handing it back, I bought a 4S for the better camera and screen. My next phone's gonna be 'driod, but I really want one that's the same size as the 4S. I get frustrated by phones that need two hands to use. They're disabling.

So your work bought you an iPhone and an iPad. What a nightmare scenario. Honestly, the people complaining about Apple are far worse than the people who like them.

I was explaining to a bloke at work today about the potential problems that removing the headphone jack might cause and he said "That's shit...still want one though" .

Must be great being the CEO of Apple these days.

Head Gardener

They've replaced an ancient but effective piece of technology with a more modern shitter version of that technology and will convince a fuckload of people that it's an upgrade.

Head Gardener

Twed

Quote from: Squink on September 08, 2016, 06:09:14 PM
So your work bought you an iPhone and an iPad. What a nightmare scenario. Honestly, the people complaining about Apple are far worse than the people who like them.
You're not selling me on this "if you are bought hardware at work you must be loyal and uncritical of it" philosophy, really.

Apple shit all over standards. They don't want things to be interoperable. They want things to be proprietary to them, for other companies to pay licenses for them, and for you to shell out a lot of money on their own products. They know they can do this because they have considerable social power (buying their stuff on day one is a 'thing' for a LOT of people). More power to the critics.

mobias

In the past I've never been overly upset when Apple ditched things. When they ditched the optical drive I did initially complain but at the end of the day fewer and fewer people do use them and if you really want one you can get a third party plug in  one. With them ditching the headphone jack its different because what they've replaced it with is inarguably much worse. I'd be surprised if the adapter isn't lossy as fuck because I've never used an adapter that wasn't lossy as fuck. For a lot of people like myself the iPhone suddenly becomes useless as a music listening device. I'll be holding on to my iPhone 6 as long as possible for sure. 

Twed

Right. Ditching is fine. Taking existing shit and replacing it with something worse that's proprietary to them is really shitty.

USB? No thank you, we'll develop Lightning and pretend that it's because we wanted to make it easier to insert. Come awwwnnn.

HDMI? Nah, we'll take DisplayPort and change its shape to one that only we develop and use, and pretend that you needed it to be "Mini". Enjoy paying for our adaptor. We'll let other hardware manufacturers use it under a free license, with the terms that the license will be revoked if that company ever pursues a patent action against Apple.

Can't wait for Apple Brick Through Your Shop Window.

Squink

Not fussed about interoperable shenanigans or proprietary gubbins. My iPhone looks nice and it works how I want it to. I don't need a headphone jack, USB port, HDMI port, or a Micro SD slot. Throw all that shit in bin. Unnecessary.

Twed

Yeah, but there are people who need to do work with these things and suffer from a culture of sneery consumers saying "OMG stop complaining!". No. We're going to complain and we don't need to explain ourselves. Your odd loyalty to a corporation that despises you is arguably the position that needs to rationalised.

Benevolent Despot

Quote from: Squink on September 08, 2016, 06:09:14 PM

They probably are. In my experience those who use Apple products live in blissful uncritical acceptance of their tech. They're more personable as they're less critical and petty, unlike me. I didn't criticise a type of person in my post, only group inertia and corporate wastefulness - lining Apple's pockets instead of your company's seems dumb. We don't owe them in perpetuity for past tech-advancements.

My last company also bought us iPads and that actually was a nightmare scenario. The boss didn't understand technology and expected us to use them for tasks they were not suited for (spreadsheet work, moving files onto and off of them). Trying to get things done with them was very time-consuming, awkward and stressful. We should have been bought cheap laptops instead. My iPhone is ok, I don't have many complaints of it, as I don't actually use it to do that many things.

I would never have bought an iDevice of my own volition so can only offer you my opinion due to these devices being initially bought for me. So you should actually be more thankful than I am that I was bought them.

Hehehe.

Squink

Quote from: Twed on September 08, 2016, 07:04:09 PM
Yeah, but there are people who need to do work with these things and suffer from a culture of sneery consumers saying "OMG stop complaining!". No. We're going to complain and we don't need to explain ourselves. Your odd loyalty to a corporation that despises you is arguably the position that needs to rationalised.

Fair enough if it makes your job harder, I could see that being annoying. But I just use it for Instagram and calls and weather and all that. It's great for those things. I've honestly never had anything but a wonderful experience with the various iPhones I've had.

Twed

I know it works great for probably the vast majority of people, and that is good. It's just the negativity towards criticism of them that rankles!

The one usability thing I really don't get is the lack of a back button. How do you do the do without the back do?

hewantstolurkatad

Have to say, since switching to osx I've been loving how easy it makes so many things for me. Part of me hopes my next job somehow requires me to have an iPhone on their dime.

I've been using rooted android devices since 2010 now though. I'm so used to it without really knowing what's limited on a regular android device that i would probably  find regular android restrictive as fuck (eg is USB or wifi tethering allowed? Can I limit data to only use 2G to save on battery? Both seem like things that may not be allowed and I use very regularly)

Quote from: doppelkorn on September 08, 2016, 05:24:17 PM
My Moto G is really shitty about letting me put apps on the SD card. None of the storage hungry ones (Spotify, OneNote(?!?!?), "Google Pay Services" (whatever the fuck that is)) allow it.

You can tell Spotify to cache its music on the SD card from within the app.

Twed

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on September 08, 2016, 07:15:11 PM
Have to say, since switching to osx I've been loving how easy it makes so many things for me. Part of me hopes my next job somehow requires me to have an iPhone on their dime.
I love OS X too. It's a great development machine, its user interface is simple and still draws from the NeXT philosophy with the dock which has been working for me across Macs and Linux since 1998, and it really hits the sweet spot for being the ideal Unix on the desktop. Don't fuck it up, Apple.

Unlike Windows, I can have a bash prompt (that isn't a with-caveats simulation of a real one like Cygwin), I can assume that software I grab from github will actually work without intense effort... shows how good Apple can be when they don't roll their own for everything.

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on September 08, 2016, 07:15:11 PMI've been using rooted android devices since 2010 now though. I'm so used to it without really knowing what's limited on a regular android device that i would probably  find regular android restrictive as fuck (eg is USB or wifi tethering allowed? Can I limit data to only use 2G to save on battery? Both seem like things that may not be allowed and I use very regularly)
My non-rooted Android can do these things, yes.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Twed on September 08, 2016, 07:20:09 PM
I love OS X too. It's a great development machine, its user interface is simple and still draws from the NeXT philosophy with the dock which has been working for me across Macs and Linux since 1998, and it really hits the sweet spot for being the ideal Unix on the desktop. Don't fuck it up, Apple.

Unlike Windows, I can have a bash prompt (that isn't a with-caveats simulation of a real one like Cygwin), I can assume that software I grab from github will actually work without intense effort... shows how good Apple can be when they don't roll their own for everything.
My non-rooted Android can do these things, yes.
Great! I'm due an upgrade soon and it probably won't be rooted out the gate at least.

Apple need to shake up their design some too. Dell are making infinitely better looking laptops right now to the point I've heard people with fuck all interest in tech (but owning apple everything) comment on it. the main way you determine the age of someone's iPhone is by hour badly cracked the screen is so there's no real value for random consumer of the showing off their new phone.
Hell, the main feeling I got from using an apple watch was that it somehow felt a few years old. Like a smaller, less useful iPhone 4.

Smartwatches have very little purpose being anything more than a fitness tracker with notifications, surely? I've got all of that in a £25 mi band 2

Squink

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on September 08, 2016, 07:33:03 PMDell are making infinitely better looking laptops right now

The problem there is it says "Dell" on them. And I don't want that. Laugh and pour scorn on me all you want, but I am the Average Consumer of this stuff. I just don't want shit that says "Dell" on it. I know. I'm a cunt.

Twed

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on September 08, 2016, 07:33:03 PMDell are making infinitely better looking laptops right now to the point I've heard people with fuck all interest in tech (but owning apple everything) comment on it
It always surprises me that this is something people care about. Do people use so little of the OS itself these days (just the browser and maybe an email client?) that the design of the machine matters more to them than Windows versus OS X?

Beagle 2

I'm not an audiophile wanker at all, but to be honest, after recently streaming through Spotify on its highest quality through bluetooth headphones i had to concede that it was a complete fucking waste of time trying to listen to anything. Albums I only ever had on copied tape in the first place suddenly sound absolutely atrocious, like a hoover malfunctioning. Dance and heavy rock are the worst. The former is completely depth-less and the latter is just one big hiss. I might have to look into becoming an audiophile wanker after all.

MojoJojo

OS X doesn't walk over Windows in terms of UI anymore. Well Windows 7 doesn't anyway - the whole Windows 8 debacle is a real shame, but OS X has been standing still for a long time. They've really obviously stopped putting any effort into OSX.

It has a decent unix style shell, but I suspect Powershell is a good competitor, if not better, considering how much later it was designed. I've never had a good reason to learn it, unfortunately.

(would a thread bitching about cygwin get anywhere? there's a lot to bitch about)

mobias

Quote from: Twed on September 08, 2016, 07:41:44 PM
Do people use so little of the OS itself these days (just the browser and maybe an email client?) that the design of the machine matters more to them than Windows versus OS X?

Pretty much. The use of desk top computers is getting increasingly niche these days I think. With the increased power and popularity of tablets, and indeed mobiles, people just don't really need a desk top or laptop anymore.

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 08, 2016, 08:40:12 PM
OS X doesn't walk over Windows in terms of UI anymore. Well Windows 7 doesn't anyway - the whole Windows 8 debacle is a real shame, but OS X has been standing still for a long time. They've really obviously stopped putting any effort into OSX.

Yeah it hasn't fundamentally changed much since 2001 when it was launched. It just has a lot more bells and whistles. Apple have been treading water with pretty much everything related to their desk top computers for a while now. But as with my comments above its not where the money or innovation is anymore.

hewantstolurkatad

I'd say laptops held their own better than expected and the prevalence of tablets declined once larger phones started to be made. The natural endpoint for most users is a tablet with basic desktop functionality via a keyboard. Can't see why most anyone would need a desktop.

I remember hearing the stats of how much better 7 inch tablets were doing compared to 9 or 10 inch ones and being really confused. A 6 inch phone would be nearly as good and save you from having to carry another thing, I thought.
Lately larger tablets have been regaining ground though, and that makes a lot more sense to me.

Find it baffling how my 4+ year old nook hd+ still has a better screen than many lower end 9 inch tablets today though (weak as fuck in many other departments, mind). My first smartphone from 2010 (HTC Desire) is running a custom rom of KitKat (basically the minimum standard for now) just fine too.

The problem with designing something to last 2 years is that people who are careful with their shit can stretch it way beyond that if needed unless you literally want it to self-implode.

Twed

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 08, 2016, 08:40:12 PM
Good! Windows constantly needing to invent stupid crap so that it looks new has turned it into an abomination. Is OS X lacking in anything that needs to exist for users?

MojoJojo

A decent file browser?

"in anything that needs to exist for users?"

well, it doesn't provide water, food or comfort. Like a C64. You set a challenge a solar powered calculator could pass - well done!

Things change, and contrary to many peoples opinions, they generally get better.

And to answer your question - a decent file browser.