Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,194
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:06:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ben Wheatley's Free Fire.

Started by Glebe, September 10, 2016, 02:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: Howj Begg on July 18, 2018, 08:50:38 PM
Fair enough fellers. For me, these are a series of mini masterpieces:

Kill List
Sightseers
High Rise
Down Terrace
Free Fire
A Field In England

I'd be happy to watch any of those any night of the week.

I absolutely love Down Terrace.  I like Kill List and Sightseers.  I was mightily unimpressed by A Field in England and High Rise.  I've never seen Free Fire yet but it's interesting to note that my admiration for Ben Wheatley's films has been on a downward trend with every subsequent release.  Still, even with films which I don't like, there's a certain interest in his style and creative choices, that will keep me coming back for more.

chveik

His films are not perfect by any means, but he's still the most interesting director in the UK (with Peter Strickland perhaps).

Zetetic

Quote from: Mister Six on July 18, 2018, 07:41:34 PMEvery film has a great concept but never quite delivers
I've certainly had this a few times from his films, to the point where I've felt that they're wasting my time - I've got the idea, thanks, that'll do.

But I liked A Field in England. Perhaps I've just been in a bad mood when I've been watching the others.

Funcrusher

Not even the most interesting director in The Beatles.

zomgmouse

He was meant to direct an Ideal film and that hasn't happened yet and now I'm sad.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: zomgmouse on July 19, 2018, 05:23:07 AM
He was meant to direct an Ideal film and that hasn't happened yet and now I'm sad.

Last I heard (a few months back) was that it was still happening, but Freak Shift was brought forward and I think his all-female Wages of Fear remake was the next one after that, so Ideal has been put back a few years at least.  Johnny Vegas might be dead by the time Wheatley gets around to it.

zomgmouse