Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,188
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:56:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Steve Hillage Box Set

Started by Colin Sanction, September 12, 2016, 07:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Yes, listening to them now, although have a glitchy sparks vol. 3 and 4. Will re-get.

BlodwynPig

So any opinions on this?

I've got through the Odeon Live set, Sparks 1-3 and now listening to 4. It is pretty much perfect, even the early Uriel tracks, which are low quality, at least show the infancy of his sound.

The tracks on Sparks 4 include some really nice mid-80s cinematic pop, such as Let You Go. Nice also to hear his cover version of Set the Controls, that I never knew existed.

5/5

sirhenry

I must ry to get hold of the Live at Deeply Vale CD[nb]I assume it's not for sale separately[/nb].

I haven't heard it since... since Deeply Vale.[nb]Though I seem to remember preferring Durutti Column and The Fall (in fact most of the Factory afternoon) at the time[/nb]

BlodwynPig

Quote from: sirhenry on December 15, 2016, 09:48:51 PM
I must ry to get hold of the Live at Deeply Vale CD[nb]I assume it's not for sale separately[/nb].

I haven't heard it since... since Deeply Vale.[nb]Though I seem to remember preferring Durutti Column and The Fall (in fact most of the Factory afternoon) at the time[/nb]

It was released a few years ago

Joy Nktonga

SirH (it's great to "see" you here, btw - I hope all is well),

If you are happy with digital-only I can help you out. Post a reply in here or PM for details etc.

I had Fish Rising in the early 90s but I couldn't get into it. I had Rainbow Dome Musick and was hoping it was going to be similar. Anyway, I really like it now, something has clicked in me.

On the back cover of the album is the special thanks, one of which is to Paul of Tangerine Dream. Any idea who this is referring to?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Special K on February 20, 2017, 09:59:14 PM
I had Fish Rising in the early 90s but I couldn't get into it. I had Rainbow Dome Musick and was hoping it was going to be similar. Anyway, I really like it now, something has clicked in me.

On the back cover of the album is the special thanks, one of which is to Paul of Tangerine Dream. Any idea who this is referring to?

Paul Haslinger joined in 1985, so maybe he meant Peter (Baumann)?

ASFTSN

Quote from: Special K on February 20, 2017, 09:59:14 PM

In the right mood, Fish Rising is godly to me.  Power psych whimsy. 

Rainbow Dome Musick on the other hand rarely sounds that good these days.

BlodwynPig

I never really got into Fish Rising - probably haven't listened to it since the 90s. I prefer Green, Live Herald and RDM.

BlodwynPig

Pointless thread bump just to say I forked out for the boxed set after being alerted there were some left and Steve and Miquette would sign it. Cost me 250 quid with import taxes and its very weighty - but very happy to own this now.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 08, 2021, 04:26:16 PM
Pointless thread bump just to say I forked out for the boxed set after being alerted there were some left and Steve and Miquette would sign it. Cost me 250 quid with import taxes and its very weighty - but very happy to own this now.
Nice one. I've never regretted buying it (see my posts upthread) but it'll probably be my last box set extravagance.

Listened to Green a couple of times this week. Brilliant album all the way through, even the languid sappiness (ha) of Musick of the Trees.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ptolemy Ptarmigan on February 12, 2021, 11:05:13 PM
Nice one. I've never regretted buying it (see my posts upthread) but it'll probably be my last box set extravagance.

Listened to Green a couple of times this week. Brilliant album all the way through, even the languid sappiness (ha) of Musick of the Trees.

Green is my favourite apart from Live Herald. My only criticism is that it could be more cosmic. A lot of Hillage records sound flat.

Absorb the anus burn

Live Herald then Rainbow Dome then Green....

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on February 13, 2021, 10:20:04 AM
Live Herald then Rainbow Dome then Green....

I have RDM on transparent vinyl and Green on green vinyl.

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 13, 2021, 10:21:21 AM
I have RDM on transparent vinyl and Green on green vinyl.

Me too! Both of them sounded crackly pretty quickly. Rainbow Dome was clear vinyl only anyway.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Ptolemy Ptarmigan on February 13, 2021, 11:41:29 AM
Me too! Both of them sounded crackly pretty quickly. Rainbow Dome was clear vinyl only anyway.

coloured vinyl does suffer more with noise, but I don't mind. The new reissue of Xitintoday by Nik Turner (who incidentally worked with Hillage and Sting on this - https://www.discogs.com/Sting-Steve-Hillage-Nik-Turner-Steve-Broughton-Mike-Howlett-Liz-van-Dort-Dombek-Javier-Fredes-Harry-/release/2314319) is a special edition picture disc and according to reviews is free from any noise!

mobias

There's a new four hour long documentary about the making of Tubular Bells thats just come out. I watched it the other day and Steve Hillage is interviewed in it and told the story of how the only way he could
get his head around all the complex guitar parts he had to learn for the premiere concert of the album was by necking a tab of LSD.