Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:38:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Self-imposed game handicaps

Started by Cerys, September 14, 2016, 10:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Twed on September 15, 2016, 12:40:27 AM
When Doom came out most people didn't even know about strafing.

I know...but now? It's fine if you want to keep running into shots I suppose...added element of difficulty.

That was cause people played it just on the keyboard when it first came out...how I don't know...I can play on keys no problem, my acorn electron taught me that, if I'm a pad short when I play Capcom beat em ups with my boys I have no problem playing on keys...retro me.

Twed

That's why! It's the self-imposed game handicaps thread, silly-billy.

Quote from: Twed on September 15, 2016, 12:43:12 AM
That's why! It's the self-imposed game handicaps thread, silly-billy.

I forget where I am...it's old age and lots of weed.

Still Not George

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on September 14, 2016, 10:49:41 PM
Crusader Kings 2 if you're not aware is a deep strategy game set between 867AD and 1453AD and you're basically playing as a count/Duke/King/ on a dynamic world map that's full of  characters of all cultures and religions who are all to willing to engage in backstabbery, conquests, raids, court intrigue, plots, factions, crusades, Jihad and assassinations etc.

So I've not long started as a Buddhist leader in charge of Cornwall with my own aim of never taking any land by force, never using any violent methods to pursue my goals and generally playing passively. I've not gotten very far in regards to spreading my territory, but thanks to my insistence of putting monks in pretty much every established council position my learning and diplomacy skill have gone through the roof. Thich causes nearby rival kings and otherwise hostile neighbours to at least grudgingly tolerate my presence (due to my immediate lack of threat and friendly influence), whilst I'm content in letting the pagans and christians battle each other, whilst I slowly attempt to convert the local provinces into becoming a Buddhist state. Also my in-game 'technology development' is growing faster than the nearby pagans and christians, again due to my high learning stats.

At some point I'm going to consider turning Cornwall into a trading republic, which will probably really fucking annoy the local monarchist and feudalistic types, but at the same will create a decent technology spread across the Island with my little republic at the helm of such a bold venture.

This is mad and amazing. What are you doing about your dynasty?

biggytitbo

I did complete Final Fight Guy whilst encased in an iron lung in 2003. Definitely one of my proudest achievements.

Cerys

I'm proud of you, biggy.  Proud.

I'm not proud of Rufus.  Rufus is a cunt.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I once tried playing Fallout: New Vegas without using fast travel, as a means of enhancing the sense of immersion. It got boring pretty quickly and I gave up after about half an hour.

mook

^ someone here did that by accident playing skyrim, they got themselves so loaded up with swag they couldn't fast travel so had to amble across the map at snails pace.

mobias

There's footage on youtube of someone completing Witcher 3 without using any hand weapons at all, only the witcher signs. It just looked utterly monotonous. Each battle took ages.

HappyTree

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Still Not George on September 15, 2016, 01:53:53 AM
This is mad and amazing. What are you doing about your dynasty?

Well it's difficult for my sons and daughters to marry anyone of an opposing religion and because India is so far away I get zero interactions with Indian Buddhists - So I'm resorting to using my ability to summon holy men to court and then find the best suitors to marry. Sadly this means it's almost impossible to find anyone with claims on any lands or holdings (and I'm unwilling to place any fabricated claims due to playing a peaceful and honest guy). I'm finding it a very tricky way to play. Hopefully when I get the right amount of points to be able to convert into a republic it might open more options to me. At least my character will have some money too, as for now it's very difficult to raise money by tax due to holding just two areas and having very few vassals. So I'm fairly skint and have a very small army and currently relying on my excellent negotiation skills to keep the enemies at bay.

On my last playthrough I made the mistake of becoming a subject of a catholic, southern king of England (mainly as a way of protecting myself from any other threats). This was largely due to the onslaught of viking raiding parties and other aggressive neighbours. The downfall of this is that at some point I may have to break free from being a vassal and regain independence before becoming a republic. The plus point of my current situation is that I don't really 'need' to raise my own armies because my king will hopefully protect me from raiders etc, leaving me free to concentrate on court and learning issues. If push comes to shove I guess I could hire mercenaries as a defensive measure only to protect my own towns.

There's a minuscule chance that my king might somehow decide to give me a slice of neighbouring land (it sometimes happens), although again that's unlikely due to religious differences.

Another threat I am also under is if some other king or lord decides he might want a slice of my pie, he might declare a holy war against me - thus making me extemely vulnerable because I'd essentially be surrounded by enemies. I don't think my king would even protect me, unless it was a foreign religion or pagans.

Hangthebuggers

I think the ONLY way I can break the pacifist spell is if I end up playing an an heir who has the 'lunatic' or 'possessed' trait and in that case I'll RP my character, but otherwise I'm sticking to the self imposed rules of peaceful reign and non-violent expansion.

Captain Poodle Basher

Quote from: mook on September 15, 2016, 03:46:34 PM
^ someone here did that by accident playing skyrim, they got themselves so loaded up with swag they couldn't fast travel so had to amble across the map at snails pace.

My nephew decided to play Skyrim without using fast travel or horses and said it didn't impact on his gaming all that much.

I'd be lost without fast travel on Elder Scrolls Online as you have to fight your way back out of most cave systems or Elven ruins and I really can't be arsed having already killed my way in, bumped off the boss and looted the place. It's also handy for the Thieves Guild when I have a high bounty on me and need to get to a Fence and pay it off.

mook

Quote from: Captain Poodle Basher on September 16, 2016, 10:40:47 AM
My nephew decided to play Skyrim without using fast travel or horses and said it didn't impact on his gaming all that much.

sorry, i didn't explain properly. this feller constantly found himself encumbered & rather than ditch/stash a load of weight so he could walk or run, he would just plod on to his house/s.

Cerys

How did he cope with combat while over-encumbered?

mook

dunno, drop his load & set about them & then pick it all up again? i've got a feeling it was small_world but i'm not a 100% on that.

Noonling

I don't do it much unless its incorporated into the game. I played a fair amount of Skyrim without fast travel (and with a few survival mods, making you have to eat, sleep, fear the cold etc). I did feel it improved the game.

I automatically play Deus Ex (3 & 4) with takedowns only (minus bosses of course).  It doesn't occur to me to use guns, even stun guns. I'm a sneaky thing, they weigh me down!

I played through Liberal Crime Squad without killing or kidnapping anyone. I guess that makes me a boring sod, I was just scared the conservatives would be onto me :(

For ones where it is incorporated: Desktop Dungeons is a good one for that, and several other roguelikelikes have some sort of "Vegan run" / "No prayer run" etc, but those are usually hard enough without them.

sevendaughters

After completing Goldeneye N64 on 00 Agent, using the 007 Agent level I set about trying to complete every level as one-hit kills both you and enemy combatants. It makes ammo less important but on any level with a drone gun or a mass of enemies incredibly hard. Still not completed it this way, about 5/6 levels yet to tick off (Runway, Jungle,  Egyptian, Aztec, Streets, Caverns - I think).

samadriel

On the freighter in the original Deus Ex, I hauled the unconscious bodies of everyone I KOed out onto the catwalk, because otherwise they would all die when you sink the ship, and apart from Navarre, I was on a no-kill run.

Cerys

Has anyone collected hundreds of cabbages in Skyrim, just for the hell of it?

Bhazor

I remember once when quite drunk getting the urge to play Thief 2 and decided to steal all the plates from the first mission without knocking out any guards. Not the valuable plates but the prop plates. Picking them up one by one from the kitchen and sneaking out of the mansion with them and stacking them in the shed.

Cerys

Still Not George

Quote from: Cerys on September 18, 2016, 10:46:42 AM
Has anyone collected hundreds of cabbages in Skyrim, just for the hell of it?

I keep instinctively collecting cabbages and I have no idea why.

No doubt there's some deep psychosexual drive involved. I've seen films.

Cerys

You're probably remembering that time I painted my tits green.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Sporting one here:

Attempted to make San Marino qualify for a major footballing tournament. Effectively impossible by solely managing the national side.

The only way to really try this is to take charge of a San Marino based football club who produce San Marinese youth players. The better the club does, the more it grows, the better players it produces (within reason).

On Football Manager it is the longest possible game. San Marino calcio (the club team) are in a regional basement division but conveniently play at San Marino's reasonably sized international stadium.

Slowly but surely I wrenched the team up through the divisons, all the while co-managing the national side to work out how best to play international football as a minnow. We had some occasional success - draws against Kazakhstan home and away, a win against Lithuania.

After many seasons San Marino calcio were promoted to Serie A where shit started to get real. I had high wage earners and some international stars. The youth team was markedly improving after pressuring the board continually to Improve the youth facilities.

A near amazing result against Portugal, holding out for a draw at home and losing 1-0 away showed progression from a team of amateurs to a tight well drilled minnow.

Still qualification eludes me but 7 points at the last round of qualifying meant we didn't finish last and represents a respectable haul for a nation of 60, 000 people.

LanceUppercut

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 22, 2016, 02:17:40 PM
Sporting one here:

Attempted to make San Marino qualify for a major footballing tournament. Effectively impossible by solely managing the national side.

The only way to really try this is to take charge of a San Marino based football club who produce San Marinese youth players. The better the club does, the more it grows, the better players it produces (within reason).

On Football Manager it is the longest possible game. San Marino calcio (the club team) are in a regional basement division but conveniently play at San Marino's reasonably sized international stadium.

Slowly but surely I wrenched the team up through the divisons, all the while co-managing the national side to work out how best to play international football as a minnow. We had some occasional success - draws against Kazakhstan home and away, a win against Lithuania.

After many seasons San Marino calcio were promoted to Serie A where shit started to get real. I had high wage earners and some international stars. The youth team was markedly improving after pressuring the board continually to Improve the youth facilities.

A near amazing result against Portugal, holding out for a draw at home and losing 1-0 away showed progression from a team of amateurs to a tight well drilled minnow.

Still qualification eludes me but 7 points at the last round of qualifying meant we didn't finish last and represents a respectable haul for a nation of 60, 000 people.

Love it wish I had the time to do something like that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's hard work doing an extra 15 games a season (qualifiers and friendlies) but really exciting when talented 16 year olds come through and any time San Marino score a goal. Every tiny win is magnified.

Also you can never really be sacked because the San Marinese fa only give you a target to 'represent the nation with honour'.

Bhazor

Swordless Ocarina of Time was mentioned earlier in the thread. Just found a lets play of a every dungeon completed in reverse order run through. Fucking. Baffling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4RvQWoCxyQ

Oh and here it's being played blindfolded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhHMW_atNG4

Twed

My friend did A Link to the Past with no deaths.

Cerys